We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

Help!

Ive recently booked the first 6 days of my honeymoon at the Four Seasons in Wailea. Im now slightly worried that this will be too remote and am considering rebooking for the Kaanapalli area?We will be spending our final 2 nights in Hana so we already have the remotness of that resort to come at the end of the trip.

Can anyone help me please? We want a beautiful resort that is very romantic but is easy to get to busier areas for dinner etc - worried that we may get 'cabin fever' if there is nothing to do within walking distance of our hotel.

We would like to do some fantastic snorkelling, go to a good luau and be on a beautiful beach (without too many kids running around due to this being our honeymoon)

We will be travelling in October.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

Wailea is a resort complex. There are several big resorts in the area plus other restaurants in the shopping center etc. You are just a few minutes from Kihei also, with more eating options. Believe me once you get there, you will not feel it's remote.

NY/NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

We just got back - it's not remote and it's heavenly. People were snorkling off of all the Wailea beaches - just go in the morning before the wind picks up. If you avoid the kiddie pool, you won't be bothered by the kids ... when we were there, there weren't many anyway. You'll love it.

Unknown
Level Contributor
510 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

chel14, no, Wailea is not remote... however, compared to Kaanapali, it is no man's land... If you're looking for relaxation with a little hustle & bustle, you'd want Kaanapali... if you're looking for relaxation and 5+ star luxury, then you want Wailea. SM

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

Thanks for the advice.

Is there anywhere to go within walking distance of the hotel for dinner etc or evening enetertainment?

How far is the Kaanapali area by car if we wanted to go into the Whalers Village/Lahaina etc?

Also what is the best Luau to go to? Is this in the Kaanapali area?

Thank you!

NY/NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

For dinner, you have three options at 4S and then, within walking distance, you have many more, since most of the resorts are within walking distance of one another. There's a beautiful beach path and the Grand Wailea is right next door on one side and the Fairmont is on the other side. They each have restaurants, including Nick's, which was nice, at the Fairmont. The walk at sunset is amazing. Also, if you walk out the front of the resort, there's a path and it's only about a ten minute walk to the Shops at Wailea (http://www.shopsatwailea.com/). There's more restaurants there (like Longhi's). For evening entertainment, I guess it depends on what you have in mind. There are a number of restaurant bars...Spago's was always hopping while we were there. And there's entertainment in the lobby and a lobby bar with a beautiful view at 4S. It's pretty low key. I overheard some people saying they had a nice time at Mulligan's (http://www.mulligansontheblue.com/). I'm sure the concierge would also have some good suggestions. The hotel will arrange a complimentary drop off and pick up anywhere in Wailea. We did this to go to dinner a couple of times and it worked out great. One night we took the car to dinner and then walked back because it was so nice out.

Lahaina is about a half hour or maybe a little more of a drive up the coast (beautiful drive). We went there a few times. Whaler's Village didn't seem too different to us than the Shops at Wailea, except that it had more of a food court.

I'd be happy to fill in any other details if you have other questions. We didn't do a luau so I don't know but the concierge was arranging tickets for someone while we were working out our dinner reservations one day, so, fyi, they'll do that for you.

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

Thanks Doublehoo.

That was really really helpful

I feel much better now. Was getting a little worried about it all.

Did you do the Road To Hana at all?

We are planning to stay there for the final 2 days of our honeymoon.

Any suggestions?

NY/NJ
Level Contributor
238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

We did not do the road to Hana this trip. We were traveling with our 8 mo. old son and it probably wouldn't have been too much fun with him...we debated it but decided to relax instead. We had a nice day in upcountry Maui and enjoyed exploring South and West Maui too. We'll save the road to Hana for next time!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

doublehoo summed up the dining options pretty well. don't worry, the FS is intimate but far from being isolated. you have plenty of options without it being too busy. it's really the best of both worlds.

I was there in October, it's considered the off season so it's not very crowded at all and most of the kids are in school. Plus, it's not scorching hot, it was a perfect time to go!

9. Re: Four Seasons - have I made the right choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, August 31, 2009