We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Maui edited

Ocean Pines...
Level Contributor
181 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Maui edited

Our plane to Maui from Kauai was delayed over an hour so we decided to eat at the Kauai airport . It was a great decision. We had a great lunch at Mea Inu Bar and Grill. Not cheap, but really good.

One thing I wanted to mention is that we rented our car from discount hawaii car rental. They shop around for you to get the best deals. If you find a cheaper rate after booking your car, they will change it for you.We were even upgraded to a Jeep on the BIg Island at no extra charge.

So we arrived in Maui, got our car and we were on our way to Lahaina Shores. Very happy with our choice to stay there. Great location, great unit on the 6th floor. You can walk to everything in town, Great shopping. We rented our unit through VBRO only because we were able to rent the unit we wanted,and it was awesome. You can rent the units through the hotel or on VBRO. If you want to book through the hotel web site, ask them for the web page where you can actually see the unit you are renting.There is one. Of course I found this out after booking it through VBRO.The only difference is daily maid service.

The front desk was wonderful, and couldn't have been more helpful.

The grounds are lovely, nice pool,so so beach, laundry facilities with an amazing view of the West Maui Mountains. We had a ocean view room with a breathtaking view of Lanai, which was beautiful. No resort fee. The cruise ships apparently dock right outside the building. Looked so amazing. .

We headed into town for dinner and decided upon Lahaina Fish Company. While the atmosphere and the food was excellent, it came out luke warm. I wanted to send it back, but we were just too hungry and tired. But for the prices they charge , it should be hot.

Sunday Black Rock Beach to do some snorkeling. We parked at Whalers Village and walked down to the end of the beach by the Sheraton We met some very nice people and we took turns watching each others belongings.

Great place to snorkel, I even swam with a huge turtle.Lots of fish.

We had an awesome lunch when we were finished at the Sheraton Maui Cliffs. I had a Maui Maui sandwich and my husband had the Pork. So good. So much fun to sit and watch the surf and the waves were starting to get very very big.

Cute stores at the Whalers Village. They will validate your parking card too, so it isn't quite as expensive if you buy something. No problem for me.

We had dinner that night at Pai Fish Market. Highly recommend that place, We ate there several times. Great prices, large quantity, delicious food. Close by us too.

Monday Road to Hana with Valley Isle Excursions. So happy we did that. It allowed my husband some time to relax after all the driving he did in Kauai. It would be fun to do it yourself, so you have more time to spend at each beautiful place, but we didn't have the luxury of that this visit.

Wai'anapapanapa Black Sand Beach, the lava cave, So beautiful. The waterfalls, banana bread stands. We loved the chocolate chip banana bread at Hana Farms where our driver set up our picnic lunch which was very good. He also had tons of water and other drinks.I like that we went all the way around the island to the Honey Farm and the Sea Arch. The views back on that road were amazing. To see Maui from that side was very cool. It is a very rocky road and rental cars are not supposed to take it, but the tour vans can. Our driver told us that staying the night in the Hana area is very cool as you can take your time and see so much more. There are many bed and breakfasts in that area.

Tuesday Snorkel with The Four Winds to the Molokini Crater. The weather was not favorable for going to the crater. It was just too windy, the waves were very high, so we had to go to another spot. I will do another review separately on The Four Winds. Lots of fun though.

Kimo's for dinner. Very, very good. We both had the lobster topped Maui Maui and we split the Hula Pie. Amazing dinner and view too. Evan was our awesome waiter.

Wednesday Exploring day for us. I wanted to head to La Perouse Bay and see the lava fields. So awesome. We drove all the way to the end, which is a must do. We stopped by Big Beach, Makena Beach on the way. On our way back up, we asked where was a good place to eat and snorkel. The lifeguard told us to go to Kamaole Beach I as there are three. He also told us that the ABC store across the street from Kam III had just opened a deli and it was really good. It was more than a deli. It had everything. If you don't mind waiting for your food, it was really good. They had a few tables outside to eat or you could take it with you.There was even a snorkel place near there too, as I was in need of a new one and I love it.

We went to snorkel at Kamaole I, but it wasn't to good that day. NIce beach and park though.

Dinner again at Paia Fish Market since we had an early morning wake up call. Just such good food and easy on the wallet.

Thursday Sunrise at Haleakala Crater with Valley Isle Excursions. Awesome trip. It is nice to go with a tour as you get a great spot for watching the sunrise. I don't know how people don't know to dress warm for the sunrise, as every web site tells you to do just that. Beauty beyond imagination. They said ours was epic. They did a very cool group "thing" on our way down the mountain. Breakfast was at Poi by the Pound. We stopped there before and after. Nice breakfast after the sunrise.

Dinner was at Mama's Fish House, as it was our anniversary. Wow I won't spoil it, but they really go all out for you. It was everything they say it is. Get the Kaui Tenderloin steak, you won't regret it !! I had the Stuffed Fish. So good, but that steak will live with me forever... The chocolate pearl for dessert is picture perfect. Do yourself a favor and walk around the grounds either before or after dinner,you won't be sorry.

Friday was our last day before heading to the Big Island. We wanted to head north to see Honolua Bay. We had lunch at the cutest food truck , Honolua Farms Kitchen. There is a beautiful trail right across the street,don't miss it, it leads to an amazing, but rocky, snorkel spot.

We stopped by the beautiful golf course at Kapalua. Those views are amazing.

DT Fleming Beach Park looked really nice too.

Time to spend our last few hours at the pool and we both took a nap under a Plumeria tree on the grounds at the hotel. Sweet.

Dinner was at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Pretty good. Great views. Time to pack for the Big Island. Will post more on that in a separate post in a few days. I really have a new appreciation for people taking the time to do this. I tried to keep notes, but it does take a lot of time, but also so much fun to relive all that we did. Maybe one day we will get a chance to go back. It is true, you can't see it all in one week. Take the time and pick what you want to do and enjoy doing that.

Safe travels.

5 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,632 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Maui edited

Thanks, Cathy! So glad you enjoyed so much of Maui in a short time--looking forward to more when you do your BI trip.

Level Contributor
38,010 posts
1,001 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Maui edited

Nice trip report... glad you enjoyed your time at Mama's Fish House, one of our favorite restaurants ever! :)

Little Rock, AR
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Maui edited

Thanks for sharing your report! It all sounds so beautiful and wonderful. I really appreciate all the trip reports on here; they are extremely helpful for future trip planning. I enjoyed your Kauai report too!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,364 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Maui edited

Have been enjoying your reports. Thanks.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Maui edited

Ummmm, sounds like a great time. Off to read about Kauai. Thank you for the report!!

Reply to: Just back from Maui edited
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted