We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haiku as base

Chicago
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Haiku as base

Hi, we return to Maui after 10 years to renew our memories and spend the first several nights away from the tourists in a BnB in Haiku.

Which beaches would you recommend to soak in the sun? From what I recollect Ho’okipa was busy with surfers and rocky.

Thanks!

14 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haiku as base

Baldwin is a nice beach.

If it is turtle season take a peak at the eastern end of Ho'okipa.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haiku as base

I like Baldwin cove - quiet, although no facilities. This is where I find myself on each of my return visits.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haiku as base

When are you visiting?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haiku as base

I have to ask the obvious: If you’re planning on spending much time at the beach, why are you staying in Haiku? Even on a good day, the nearby beaches just aren’t very good. If they were on the South or West Side, only surfers would go to them...and maybe tourists looking to take selfies with beached honu.

Use it as a base for Hana (where there are reasonably good beaches) and upcountry/haleakala. Go to the beach later in your trip.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haiku as base

Yeah, not to mention the traffic to/from Haiku.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
688 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Haiku as base

Turtle season?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,590 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haiku as base

Turtles are not seasonal, AFAIK.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haiku as base

Turtles present, turtles in season.

No turtles today, must be out of season. ;-)

Chicago
Level Contributor
66 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haiku as base

We arrive on Thursday next week. I should have clarified that we spend a week with 4 nights in Haiku and 3 nights in Lahaina. Our trip was pretty last minute so most places were sold out and we thought we could use Haiku to access spots to Hana.

I will look up Baldwin in the interim.

Thanks in advance!

Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haiku as base

Baldwin *might* be okay, but in the winter, even the more sheltered cove area can be rough water and dangerous currents. I would use your Haiku nights to explore Hana, Upcountry, and Haleakala.

Be prepared for WET conditions in Haiku. It's been very, very wet there steadily for weeks. Some of my friends have to use 4 WD to get in and out of their driveways-and some can't even do that, they have too hike it.

Remember that pretty much everything will close early on Christmas Eve (I think you'll see be Haiku side?). If you want to eat out that night you need to try and get reservations now.

Reply to: Haiku as base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted