We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

California
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

We are coming to Maui soon and are deciding between a 1 bedroom in the Lahaina/Napili Villas OR a 1 bedroom in the older section. Both units are oceanfront. My main reservation about choosing the Napili/Lahaina Villas is that the lanai looks very small in the pictures. It will be my husband and 2 kids, ages 10 & 8. Is there room for all 4 of us to be together out on the lanai? I've seen in some reviews that people complain about the lanai size.

The drawback to the older section is that we won't have a full kitchen or washer/dryer in our unit. We will eat most meals out and can live without the washer/dryer if we need too.

I could also save about $500 and go with just an ocean view in the older towers. Decisions...decisions...

I'm guessing either of these will be fine and I'm completely overthinking this but if anyone has stayed in both rooms and has an opinion, especially on the lanai size, I'd appreciate it!

13 replies to this topic
Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

Do you have to stay at that resort? If you have some kind of special deal, ok, ignore my response. Otherwise there are much better options nearby. If you are still reading, let us know budget and when you are coming and we can give recommendations.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

I do think you're overthinking it :-).

I don't like the configuration of the old rooms. Prob just me. I would take the newer ones, and I think you'll be fine. The washer & dryer is worth a few less feet of lanai (plus the kitchen).

MMOC is very dense, but it's right in the thick of things for those who want that. It's a great property with kids, KOR is too, if you can do it.

California
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

We've been to Maui a handful of times and always stayed north of Black Rock. Two years ago we stayed at Honua Kai. We loved their gorgeous rooms and large lanais. The beach out front wasn't our favorite though. This trip I really wanted to stay at any one of the Westin Villas but I couldn't get a good enough deal on the week we are going. I looked at Kaanapali Alii too. Looks so nice there but more than I want to pay. Third option was the Marriott Ocean Club. My husband really loves the idea of being on the main stretch of Kaanapali Beach as we have never done that. I think it's going to be too busy and not relaxing enough but it will also be fun to try something different. This isn't our first time to Maui and it won't be our last so I'm ok with trying something new.

After completely overthinking this to the point of exhaustion I'm going to go with the older section. The lanai is really important to me and having two bathrooms will be nice too. I'll miss the washer and dryer but I think I've finally made a decision. I think.

Are the ocean views good here? Real true ocean views? I'm trying to decide if ocean front is worth $500 more.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

I would go with the ocean front view. Partial ocean view can be quite entertaining...............hanging over the lanai railing to see the water, LOL.

Enjoy the change of scenery!

Edited: 4:10 pm, December 13, 2017
So. Calif.
Level Contributor
627 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

Ya, you never know how much of a view you will have with ocean view. Ocean front is right smack in front of the waves.

We’ve only stayed in the older tower. Big master bedroom and bath. I assume your kids will sleep in the couch hide a bed? You can get a rollaway so they don’t have to sleep together if necessary.

I never cook meals on vacation so a partial kitchen was fine too. I only do a couple loads of wash about midweek of our vacation so I’m not bothered going to the wash room to do it. Doesn’t take long.

Plus the lanai is huge from what I remember you can access it from the master bedroom or the family room. So it’s one big long lanai.

California
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

Ok, thanks for the help! I appreciate the info that I can get a rollaway bed as well. We went with the ocean front room too😀

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

welp, i'm probably too late to reply to this thread, but IMO, napili tower all the way (newer)..... we've stayed at both, but after staying in the older section once or twice, we opted for the napili tower on subsequent trips BECAUSE it has full kitchen and laundry facilities, plus the units are nicer/fresher overall..... the older section is basically refurbished hotel rooms with half-&$$ kitchens installed.... we much prefer to prepare most of our own meals, as "eating most meals out" adds up real fast, plus it's awesome to have breakfast out on the lanai and grilling fresh fish dinners (or burgers, dogs for the kids) on the multitude of outdoor grills scattered around the property....but that's us....

the old part feels more resort-y as it used to be a regular hotel resort... the napili tower is less than 10 years old and more of a condo experience..... either way, the resort property is awesome for kids---great pools and such.....

California
Level Contributor
569 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

Thanks for the reply, strangetripper. I have already confirmed a unit in the older section. I had a horrible time deciding on which building to go with but I’ve made peace with my decision, lol!

We had a gorgeous, large, gourmet kitchen at Honua Kai for 9 Days on our last trip to Maui and I think we might have used the stove twice for some eggs. I know we’ll be ok without the full kitchen but I will certainly miss the washer & dryer as I washed swimsuits and beach towels often!

If we like the Resort and location I’ll check out the new Villas for possible future stays. I checked them out on YouTube this morning (not sure why I didn’t think of that earlier) and they do look very lovely and certainly more luxurious than the older units. We’ll be in Maui so I will be happy no matter what!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

Good choice on the ocean front! Great for whale-watching, enjoying spinner dolphins, turtles and amazing sunsets. The original tower lanais are large (huge on floors 1-4). Newer tower lanais have a round table with chairs that will accommodate 4 adults--great for sunset dinners.

Your original tower ocean front condo was totally refurbished a year ago with all new furniture, a larger refrigerator with freezer section, new carpeting and lanai furniture. Two full baths work great for families.

Fresh beach towels can be picked up and later dropped off near each of the 3 major pools. No need to wash and dry them. Free washers and dryers are centrally located in the large laundry area (below the main lobby & near the main megapool). If you decide to cook, a modern kitchen area with stovetops is available near the Molokai tower bank of elevators. Stainless grills are located througout the resort, often near beachfront tables.

During the day, the rollaway bed (with straps to secure bedding/pillows) can stand on end against a wall, out of the way. Also, the new master bedroom furniture includes a terrific oversized lounge chair that converts into a bed. The living area sofa bed has a memory foam pad that makes it very comfortable.

You can't go wrong with either the new or original ocean front Marriott condos. Each has advantages. Both are great. Your kids will love the pools and all of the free daily activities. Enjoy your stay in paradise!

Willow Grove...
Level Contributor
117 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?

It's negligible at this point, but keep in mind that there are no 1-bedroom units in the newer towers, only 2- and 3-bedroom units. You were probably looking at a studio. The villa studios are nice, though they're nearly half the size as the 1BR units in the older towers, don't have the new, larger fridge (may change next year during the Napili/Lahaina renovations), and lack a second bathroom.

If you haven't done so, I'd recommend requesting the Molokai Tower. Two weeks before your arrival, call MOC and speak with the room coordinator (Marynor) and request a high floor.

Also, in case you ever return in an ocean view unit, I can't imagine anyone being upset over this view (8th floor, rear of the Molokai Tower): https:/…29617992435_6e2df6cb70_o.jpg

Reply to: Marriott Maui Ocean Club--which Tower/Room?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted