We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Maui 3 days end January!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
499 reviews
Help with Maui 3 days end January!

We are two youths in late twenties and will be travelling in late January - first stop Maui - Kauai - Oahu; will be flying in and out of Kahului airport.

Almost all reasonably-priced accommodations in Maui have sold out. There are some accommodations left in Kahului and the start of Paia (Ku'au Inn B&B).

Day 1: Fly into Kahului in the morning + Iao Valley State Park in the afternoon;

Day 2: Lahaina/Ma'alea for whale watch in the morning + Haleakala National Park for the rest of the day till sunset at Haleakala Summit

Day 3: Road to Hana

Day 4: fly out from Kahului late morning.

Will rent a car throughout.

Given our intended itinerary, is Kahului or the start of Paia preferable? Really just looking for a place to stay, not into beaches, and of utmost importance would be strategic location for our sightseeing.

Many thanks and appreciate any comments!

9 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
71,175 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

I would try to stay at the Days Inn in Kihei. Staying in Paia isn't great for a few reasons-esp the drive times and traffic there.

Kahului doesn't offer much in the way of inexpensive and decent options (which are legal). So I'd look at Days Inn or maybe Maalaea.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,943 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

Do you have good, real maps of Maui? Your 🐳 whale-watch/Haleakala day it tooooo much.

Your trip is very short - and the Island is large and oddly-shaped.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
499 reviews
3. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

Many thanks, have managed to book Maui Seaside Hotel at Kahului.

Given our location, have re-worked the itinerary as follows:

Day 1: Fly into Kahului late morning + whale watch at Lahaina or Ma'alaea in the afternoon.

Day 2: Haleakala National Park till sunset at Haleakala Summit

Day 3: Road to Hana

Day 4: Iao Valley State Park in the morning; fly out from Kahului late morning.

Hope this is better?

9 posts
4. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

You're going to have a great time! I would suggest doing the road to Hana round trip, and make sure to head back to town before sunset so you can enjoy the entirety of the scenic drive. If you take the front road (through paia side) on the way there, then take the back road on the return, you'll see the sunset from the south west on your evening drive and you can stop at the winery in Ulapalakua for a tasting.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,175 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

No, do not do the "round trip" as suggested above (to Hana). First, the winery closes fairly early and tastings aren't free either. Second, you'll violate the terms of your rental car contract is you take the "backside". That means all insurance is voided. So any expenses come out of YOUR pocket, not an insurance company's.

You could do sunset on Haleakala on Day 1. You could then go over to the West side for a whale watch and to explore on Day 2.

Be very careful at the Seaside. It's not a good place to stay, mostly after dark.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
499 reviews
6. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

Many thanks, will take note of that. Are there safety issues at the Seaside? If it is really not advisable, I will see if I can change accommodation. But the only few places left are all in that area...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
52,717 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

Plenty of folks stay at the Seaside and have no problems. When you book this late, I understand why you booked it and I would stay there if I didn't have much choice. It is what it is.

Book your whale watch in Lahaina, that way you will get to see some part of that island.

Do be advised that going any further along the Hana Hwy than Kipahulu is prohibited by all major rental car companies. After you visit Lindbergh's grave, turn around and go back the same way you came!!

Maui
Level Contributor
71,175 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

I wouldn't go out after dark there, and do not open your door to someone knocking either. Call the front desk if someone does and ask them to send security up.

Leave NOTHING in the rental car and try to park as close to the building as possible.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
499 reviews
9. Re: Help with Maui 3 days end January!

Noted, we don't intend to roam around after dark either, and will take note of what has been advised. In the meantime I will also keep a lookout for any other places that might free up.

Reply to: Help with Maui 3 days end January!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted