We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian hotel in January

10 posts
Save Topic
Hawaiian hotel in January

Hello everyone,

I need some help from you all. I have never been to Hawaii and I'm planning a surprise Maui trip for my husband towards the end of January. I know this sounds corny, but when I think of Hawaii, I think of beautiful sunsets, nice ocean breezes, palm trees, luaus, etc. Pretty much everything that I see on postcards and in movies. I would like to stay in a hotel that offers the traditional Hawaiian experience, and one that's not old or needs remodeling.

We just want to relax, eat the local food, do a little souvenir shopping, and visit the "Must See" attractions around Maui, but mainly to relax on the beach and eat. We will be there for 9 days and a friend recommended that we split our time between Kaanapali and Wailea. I do plan on getting a rental car so I'm open to that suggestion. Places like the Fairmont, Ritz or Four Seasons are way out of our price range. Anywhere from $300-$600 per night would be a start. I'm willing to increase the budget a little bit for the right hotel. We would like a room with an ocean view and a hotel that offers room service. And one that is not under construction. Thank you kindly for all of your help and suggestions.

Maui Charms
Gift & Specialty Shops
Kihei Farmer's Market
Flea & Street Markets
Whalers Fine Jewellery
Gift & Specialty Shops
26 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Nine nights definitely gives you enough time to split if you want to. The chain hotels in Kaanapali are the Sheraton, Westin and Hyatt. The Sheraton to me is the most picturesque setting, the Hyatt is further down Kaanapali beach (quieter but a narrower part of the beach) and the Westin is right in the heart of the Kaanapali resort strip but will be busier and possibly noisier if you are next to Whaler's Village.

In Wailea, you might look at the Wailea Beach Marriott. It's not on the beach but just a short walk to really nice ones. If you want an ocean view, those will be the ones within your budget.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,258 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Welcome, Lisa!

None of the hotels offer a "traditional" Hawaiian experience. The closest would be Kaanapali Beach Hotel, but it is old, and some of the rooms are awfully tired.

Each property has Hawaiian "touches". Those can range from tiki torches to cultural advisors. But they are modern and cater to the wants and needs of today's travelers.

You might look at the Royal Lahaina Resort, in north Kaanapali, for the West part of your stay. I is older but very well kept, on a great stretch of Kaanapali Beach, and has a lower key vibe than the hotels on the "main" Kaanapali strip.

For the south side part of your trip, maybe check the Marriott Wailea. It's modern, but just renovated and very nice.

Edited: 12:25 pm, November 17, 2017
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,293 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Please, please tell us where you are from ... and add that information to your profile. It's a big help to us.

... Always count your nights (not your days/weeks/or such) when you travel. Your accommodations will charge by the night.

... Note that you are traveling during a very, very popular time on Maui. Folks plan far in advance. *And reserve your rental car now! Maui can, and does, run out of rental cars.

... You can split your accommodations if you want. Do you have a good map of Maui? Do you have an idea of the distances yet?

But if you want to settle in to one area or the other - that's fine, too.

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Check out the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, and the ocean front rooms they offer some great ocean front rooms literally steps from the ocean. Sunsets every day from your room. Don't know the status of the rooms, but an excellent location

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,774 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

I don't recommend their touring advice, but this site's lodging section is worth a look, with aerials, reviews and rates for most condos and hotels: www.hawaiirevealed.com

I know you said "hotels' and 'room service', but consider a week in a condo, then splashing out at a resort hotel.

Whale Season is January - March. Plan a snorkeling excursion and/or a whale watch.

Reserve your vehicle NOW, while you decide on lodging. Remember to add in the daily 'resort' and parking fees to get to a hotel's 'bottom line'.

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Thank you so much for your advice Beachiekeen69. I will look into the Sheraton, Hyatt and Marriott. We would like something a little more quieter with an ocean view. I'm just having flashbacks of when I booked an ocean view hotel on Venice Beach in California. We were on the ground floor and I thought it would be very romantic. Boy, was I wrong! It was so noisy from the people walking by and music blasting away. We ended up checking out and going to another hotel to get some peace and quiet. LOL

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Well January is high season. You probably don’t want the Westin! :) The Hyatt might be good and Royal Lahaina is a great suggestion if you don’t mind something a little older.

10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Thank you AdamaiNick4SW for your recommendations. I am looking for something like this with some modern touches. I will also look into the Marriott Wailea as well. I will be very busy this weekend looking over all of the hotel suggestions. Thanks again for your help.

10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Hello BLBL,

Thank you for your helpful tips. We are from California and hopefully the jet lag won't be so bad. We will stay on either the Kaanapali side or Wailea side of the island or perhaps we may stay at both sides of the island. I don't have any maps of Maui and was planning on getting one of those Frommer Guide books. I believe that driving from Kaanapali to Wailea will take about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Once we arrive, my husband will be driving around the island. Thanks for letting me know about the car rentals in Maui. I didn't realize that they run out of cars.

10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaiian hotel in January

Thank you Rex M. You are the second person that recommended The Kaanapali Beach Hotel. It's nice that the hotel is steps away from the ocean. That sounds like a great location to me. I love the idea of looking at the sunsets everyday from the hotel room. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Reply to: Hawaiian hotel in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted