We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Tales 2018

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
47 reviews
Whale Tales 2018

Whale Tales by the Whale Trust Maui will be Feb 16-19 this year at the Hyatt in Kaanapali.

https://whaletrust.org

This is a fantastic event filled with tons of activities. Check it out if you are on island.

22 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
70,848 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Whale Tales 2018

Thanks, Snorkel Queen! The Hyatt lured them away from the RItz, huh?

Wonderful event and sooooo many opportunities for learning and whale fun.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Whale Tales 2018

For those that are wondering what happens... there are lots of whale researchers that show up and do various talks on the current research being done. They get area kids involved and they also have special whale watches with some of the local companies and have a special researcher or photographer on each watch. Regular poster Almostgrownup often helps at this. More details will come out as the time gets closer.

Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Whale Tales 2018

I show it at the Ritz... Am I an idiot?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Whale Tales 2018

Nope! Haha. I see the website still has this past years (2017) at the Ritz. They don't have next year's on the website yet. I didn't even look. There was a press release today though with the 2018 dates and location with it moving to the Hyatt. I got the email so I can't link that. They are usually slow at putting up info, but at least they gave the dates and location for people to start to plan.

Edited: 12:09 am, August 11, 2017
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Whale Tales 2018

Webpage still is not updated...but some may want to plan their trip to be able to see some of this so bumping for the dates.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Whale Tales 2018

I heard from SW that the other whale events in Kihei has changed a lot this year from years past. I still think this has always been the best way to really learn about the whales from the experts! They haven't updated the website yet, but keep watching here for fun whale events at Whale Tales 2018!!!

Georgia
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Whale Tales 2018

We went to the parade and to a few of the speeches about 3 years ago. It was really neat. Then it was in the theatre in Lahaina. We'll be there for the 2018 one, too! Yea!!!

Maui
Level Contributor
70,848 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Whale Tales 2018

You went to parts of 2 different events :-).

The Whale Trust has always been based on the West, and pwf did the stuff down south.

This year, most of pwf's stuff will be in Maalaea. One event will be in Kaanapali. There's no parade at this point.

When pwf started charging admission last year it didn't go over well, for entry to the park in Kihei. And they deserve to be banned from ever doing it again.

Edited: 12:06 am, September 01, 2017
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: Whale Tales 2018

Whales Tales 2018 was just updated online. Check it out!!

http://whaletales.org/

They will continue to add info as they get it. Great seminar/talks usually and taking the special whale watches with experts in the field!

Edited: 9:04 am, September 27, 2017
Maui
Level Contributor
70,848 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Whale Tales 2018

Yeah! ! Hope Almost checks in soon and is going to be here for this :-).

Reply to: Whale Tales 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted