We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

I just realized that we will be in Maui for their Film Festival at the end of June. I wondered if perhaps we may see any celebrities during our trip, and where that would be most likely to occur. Any thoughts?

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

You'll see some around Wailea, at the hotels--and of course, at the events.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

For those interested in learning more, here's a link to this year's schedule:

http://www.mauifilmfestival.com/

It's a very popular event down south each year. Have fun if you can go!

Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

Thanks, yes! I had signed up for their newsletter too. We are staying in Kaanapali, but visiting Wailea one afternoon/evening, because I wanted to get a feel if thats an area I'd like to stay in, one year.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

Have a great time!

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

Thank you for posting the Maui Film Festival link AkamaiNick4SW! I checked it out. The 2nd night we are staying at the Grand Wailea is when they'll have the Summer Taste but it's only for those over 21.

Any suggestions on what we should do that evening? That is, hover around hoping to spot celebrities or getting as far away from the place as we possibly can (eating off-resort etc.)?

Also, would it be worth it for me to buy the Celestial Cinema Pass for $80 which, if I'm understanding correctly, would enable the two of us to go to 2 outdoor movie showings at the Wailea Gold and Emerald Golf Course (5 minute drive away from GW)? If so, what would we need to bring with us? Chairs/beach towels, blanket, our own beverages and snacks? Do you think subject matter of movies would be too adult for 14-year-old?

Any help any of you can give regarding the above would be much appreciated!

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

To be honest............I doubt your GS would be very interested.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,032 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

SW, I didn't see a list of movies. Are they mostly small independent or foreign films?

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

They've announced about 6 so far. The first one at the Celestial Cinema is a Maui made one, called "Kuelana". While a very worthwhile and great subject, I doubt most teens would be interested. They haven't announced the other two for the CC series yet.

It's always a variety of films from different places :-).

Re seeing celebs, I doubt you'll see many wandering around the hotel that day. They tend to have press things, private parties, etc.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

Here's a link--with preview clips--to the 8 that have been announced so far: www.mauifilmfestival.com/mffw_newsletter.php

The Big Wave Project, Kuleana, and Proximity all seemed movies that would be related to our trip. All are rated NR (so no rating yet.)

So for $80 (which is close to what I saved for my Teralani Premier Snorkeling Trip due to a kind poster's link to Costco gift cards), I thought it would give us options for 2 evenings should we want to indulge.

The tickets indicate that it gives you admission to "All Film Premieres, Tribute(s) and/or Live Music on that Night" so, having never been, I have no idea what the exact schedule is like, since it is not posted yet.

If anyone has gone to any of these before, please let me know what to expect and whether it would be worth $80 or not for 4 admissions.

Thank you!

Maui
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Film Festival and Celebrity Sightings

Bliss, I went one year (my friend had free tickets) and it was fun. You can bring a blanket/towel and a low beach chair. You must buy food/drink there, I think you bought script. Seating is out in the open on the grass. If I recall, you looked up at the screen.

Only you can decide if going to see four films for $80 is worth it. When it says tribute, they have actors/actresses that they honor each year. If you go that night, then you would see that. Personally, I would just buy tickets for 1 film, but that is me.