We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

I have questions. I am plannig a surprise 25th Anniversary vow renewal end of June.

I'd appreciate of someone could walk through this with me, as I can't discuss with my husband. I was thinking of meeting at 5:00pm on Kapalua Beach, maybe 5:30, figuring the event, with photos would take about 1 to 1.5 hours. I wanted time to have a cocktail out on the patio at Merriman's, and then dinner no later than 7:30.

1) From the beach, can you just walk up to the restaurant? I don't remember... I never paid attention to the beach.

2) The company I'm most likely booking with, suggested Fleming Beach instead, saying its less crowded, and then a 10-min drive to Merriman's. I kinda feel like I am being led to that plan, more for their own benefit/convenience than my own. I was thinking there'd be no driving, and I thought someone in this forum said Kapalua Beach was lovely for a vow renewal or wedding.

3.) They also suggested meeting at 6:30, because sunset is at 7:12, and then they finish at 7:30. But if I take their advice, that means no time to sit out and have drinks before dinner. On top of that, if its Fleming Beach, not only no pre-dinner cocktails, but also dinner is later than 7:30. At first, I wasn't sure I was hung up on "sunset." I know its a beautiful time for photos etc., but do people do it without sunset too?

I'm just getting so overwhelmed with the details. I don't want poor photos, obviously, nor hoards of people, but..... you know how you have an image in your head, and once its there, its hard to shake??? lol...

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,459 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

Yes you can just walk up to Merriman's. It is right there

I don't blame them for recommending DT Fleming. Beautiful bigger and will be less crowded. Depends on what you want but Kapalua will have more people there and probably 2-3 other weddings vow renewals at same time.

You can do earlier if you want... but the lighting will affect the photos with the sun brighter in the sky. What about early morning vow renewal...say on a Sunday and then head to Merriman's for brunch? Just an idea... or any day and do Plantation house...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

DT Fleming will be less crowded but if I had to chose between that and Kapalua it would be Kapalua regardless of how many people there are. Sounds like that is what you want. Logistically it would be a bit easier. I wouldn't start any earlier than 5:30pm. You are the one paying, do what YOU want!!

You don't have to do a renewal ceremony at sunset. Not a renewal but my son got married at the Japanese Garden in Kepaniwai Park at 8:00am where there was no one but the wedding attendees present.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,848 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

What about that lawn area travelbugged? You know on the coastal trail overlooking kapalua bay? Not right on the beach but what a gorgeous place. I wonder of they ever hold ceremonies there?

Dave

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

Where are you staying? Will you be driving to the vow renewal location anyway?

Dave, if you mean the small lawn just above, at the Montage--that is theirs. Not public :-).

Edited: 1:55 pm, May 03, 2017
Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

Thanks for the input.... good points to think about. We are staying at the Westin Resort. It is my husband, myself, and two daughters. I don't want to make the wrong decision, but with just the four of us, I guess I feel that by doing our renewal at one spot, then packing up, getting in the car and driving to another spot, we're sort of breaking the momentum, and the simple, fluid vibe I was feeling here at home. I'm sure I'm not articulating this very well... in short, am I an idiot for choosing Kapalua at 5:30 vs. Fleming at 6:30?

Maui
Level Contributor
70,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

I think you've expressed it just fine :-). Go with your heart-which says Kapalua. It will be perfect because it's your first choice.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,205 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

No, of course you're not an idiot for wanting things your way. Personally I'd rather be at Kapalua!!

Maui
Level Contributor
199 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

Congratulations on your anniversary!

Yes, do what you want and do it how you want - it is your event, after all!

As parking is very limited in the area, and there is no direct route between the restaurant and Kapalua Beach's parking (even though they're right next door to each other) you may want to use Merriman's valets to park your car. Then, walk all the way through the restaurant and down to right you will see the path to the beach and your ceremony. That way, when you've finished dinner, you'll just need to ask the valet to retrieve your car at the restaurant's front door instead of having to walk the long way to the beach parking.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,459 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

Yep... do what you want because it is yours. :) I just mentioned the reasons why they probably did recommend it differently. Years ago it was less popular at that time and quiet. Now there are still people at the beach and snorkeling at that time as well as the popularity of it for vows/renewals. Bill is right... use the valet and it will be very easy.

Yep Dave. That is Montage and they use it for their weddings. One of my favorite spots! They were actually ripping out all the grass there a couple weeks ago and I was going to be mad if they built a structure there. It looked like they were just residing that area though.

Edited: 5:02 pm, May 03, 2017
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,459 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kapalua Bay Vow Renewal - help please!

One more thing!! Confirm ahead that Merriman's is not having their own private event that night and isn't closing down. They do often and that would definitely ruin your plans.