We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

Illinois
Level Contributor
253 posts
22 reviews
Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

25 years ago, for our honeymoon, my husband and I spent a fun 3 days in San Francisco, and then a lovely week in Maui. We are re-dong the same trip in a couple of months, this time with our daughters as well (19 and 21)! This is not our first time back to the island (actually, I think our 4th), but I definitely want to make this one very special. I'd love any suggestions and/or tips from couples who've celebrated on this magical island. Thanks so much!

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
1. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

One of the first questions you will be asked is what is your lodging budget? I will just say get two separate rooms if you are staying at a resort, 4 adults in one room would not be how I would want to celebrate a 25th or any other anniversary for that matter. If you go the condo route a place with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths would be good. A vow renewal on the beach followed by a lunch at Mamas would be nice.

Maui
Level Contributor
71,132 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

Do you already have lodging? If so, where? We can rec things better if we know more :-).

Level Contributor
39,075 posts
1,014 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

We just spent our 35th anniversary in Wailea @ The Grand Wailea. We booked our package through Costco Travel and were very pleased with them. Happy Anniversary! 🌴🌸🌴🌸

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,880 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

Well ....

We don't know where you are staying

We don't know when you are traveling

We don't know how long (how many nights) you will be on Maui

We don't know what you like to do ... or not

We don't know how long it has been since your last trip ... or where you stayed or what you did at that time

I assume that you'll have a car.

Congratulations ... but what is on your to-do list? What do you want to do or see again? Help us out ...

Illinois
Level Contributor
253 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

Ok, sorry.... yes, I see there was some information missing!

We will be in Maui for one week, the end of June, and we are staying at The Westin Ka'anapali - my favorite resort, and I love that area! We were last there in 2013.

We have a tradition to always eat at Mama's on our last night, before heading to the airport, so reservations already booked there. The other spot worth a repeat to me is (now) Merriman's, so also going there one night.

We have done the road to Hana (didn't care for it), and Haleakala, and basically all the top touristy things to do on Maui. We will have a car. Budget is "somewhat" flexible... splurges when its worth it, but otherwise, middle-class reason presides.

I would say I'm looking more for an experience than an activity. The vow renewal idea has crossed my mind, but I haven't looked into that at all. I don't know how much that costs, but probably more than I can spend to do well, as photographers alone seem to cost a fortune out there.

Iowa
Level Contributor
14,160 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

There is a Top Question on getting married on Maui that covers information on vow renewal ceremonies too. I think some recommended people are very reasonable if you keep it simple.

You could actually have a do it yourself ceremony. Find a quiet beach and simply say your own vows to each other. I like Oneloa Beach in Kapalua. Your daughters could take photos, maybe play some music through a portable speaker. If one happens to play ukulele or be a singer, even better. Wear some special white clothes and have a beautiful lei made for each of you to exchange. I would head over to Merriman's for dinner to celebrate after that. Let them know it's your special day.

Edited: 2:05 pm, April 20, 2017
Maui
Level Contributor
71,132 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

Let's see............ how about:

If you're dog people, go do the Beach Buddie program and have a picnic too:

mauihumanesociety.org/content/55023e863f81e/…

If you're cat people, go visit the Cat Sanctuary on Lana'i;

If animals aren't your thing, a day trip to Lana'i on the ferry, maybe treat yourselves to lunch at Manele?

A visit to O'o Farms for their tours and lunch, with some wandering around Upcountry;

A drive up to the Ohai Trail, followed by a walk to the 'heart rock' at Nakalele and maybe a picnic at Lipoa Point?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
38 reviews
8. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

half of what comes to mind for me is in Hana (Hamoa Beach, Pipiwai Trail) ... getting out on the water would be at the top of my list. Sunset sail, maybe? splurge for a night in another hotel in a really nice room? surfing lessons? Or you both take turns planning your "perfect day"?

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

Splurge for a night or two at the Montage - better if the daughters are ok with staying in the more reasonable accommodation.

The advice about vow renewal is good, you can do it yourself or spend little - the important point is location. A late afternoon ceremony on Kapalua bay - after the crowds leave - can be wonderful, following by dinner at Merrimans. If you do stay at the Montage you are right there.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,880 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Suggestions for special 25th Anniversary trip?

I generally recommend the same thing when stuck in the mud 1) scroll down this Forum. We talk about activities and restaurants all the time! And new stuff, too ... special activities. If you haven't checked out the Top Questions off to the right-hand side of the screen - give them a read-through.

2) How old is your travel guidebook? If your bookshelf looks like mine ... well, dinosaurs roamed the earth (not really, but you get my drift). And do you have good maps? Pull them out and take another look.

If money were not an issue, I'd say fly the gang to the Big Island and visit Volcanoes National Park.

??? Have you ever "done" sunrise or sunset at the Haleakala?

3) Make sure that you pick up the Maui News daily and/or check it on-line for special events.