We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! 1st time to Maui

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
HELP! 1st time to Maui

I’m planning a surprise trip and am so stressed out, overwhelmed and confused where to stay in Maui. This is our 1st trip to Hawaii and I wanted to make it memorable. If you have a choice between Kihei Maui Kamaole or Wailea Ekahi Village, what would you choose?

So. Calif.
Level Contributor
629 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

We stayed at Ekahi in 2005 and really enjoyed it. You can walk to the beach out front or drive to a different beach. Maui Kamaole is across the street from the ocean and right in Kihei. I just prefer not to have to cross the street or watch cars drive by. Try to get an updated unit at Ekahi.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

I have stayed at Ekahi Village a couple times. It's very very nice and the grounds are gorgeous. I rented directly from owner at mauiownercondos.com. Be sure to try to find a unit in the lower village as it is a really large complex. The beach is Keawakapoo and is excellent. You can go left towards Mokapu Beach and hop on the beach path that connects all the swanky resorts of Maui. Ulua Beach is EXCELLENT for snorkeling.

Maui Kamaole is a very nice property, not beachfront but more affordable and right across the street from the Kamaole Beaches which are excellent.

We stay at Hale Pau Hana in South Kihei now because we like to be as close to the water as possible.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,774 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

Both are very nice. Do you have specific condos targeted in each complex? We own at MK, which is newer construction, but not as close to the ocean. MK is built up the side of a hill so many of the units have nice ocean views -- not "full frontal" like some complexes (LOL) but not distant views either. Ekahi is spread out over a large area, so you can be near the ocean but not have much of a view of it, and a unit can back to the road. Look carefully at individual units in *any* complex to get something recently refurbished. Ask questions of the owner about each and every thing that concerns you. (We're used to it!) You are looking through vrbo.com I hope, and not risking a random assignment via an agency.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

Thank you ChiSue. Yes, i'm looing through vrbo.com and for the Maui Kamaole I'm considering vrbo # 56781 (G-106); vrbo # 76398 (G-111); or vrbo # 8049 ( I-115) . Are any of these in good location?

And are they away from the road?

For the Ekahi Village, I'm looking at Bldg #24 vrbo # 69273. Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

I found it helpful to go to Maui revealed aerial views so I could tell where the building was located on the grounds. I'll take a look at #24.

We have only stayed in buildings 5 and 7 which are right by the pool and beach.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

just looked. OK, that's a lovely unit but it is by the road and up the hill a little ways. You are going to have a bit of a trek to the beach from there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

have you checked mauiownercondos.com? They have units at both the complexes you are looking at. It's a website for rentals by owner.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,774 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

addicted knows much more about Ekahi than I do.

It's hard for me to be objective about MK since ours is one of the units you are looking at! I can say that the "G" units are going to get some noise from Kihei Road -- mostly a problem during the day and early evening. I'd prefer G-111 to the other so that you get less noise and are not taking the hot sun all afternoon. Both have head-on views of the ocean. Ask to see photos of the bathrooms on these two. They should be remodeled (no eggcrate fluorescent lighting!).

It sounds to me as though you might be happy with the Ekahi condo. I haven't looked at that one yet and have to sign off for an appointment. (I'll check back here later.)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,774 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

OK, I looked at the Ekahi unit. It looks lovely. I'd ask for some photos of the baths though. Not sure if the "ocean view" photo is the view from the condo's lanai or elsewhere on the property. Does this unit back to the main road? Exactly how long a walk is it to the beach? If all that checks out, I'd take this one!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP! 1st time to Maui

Thank you addictedtomaui and ChiSue. This is what I found out… The Ekahi unit #24 faces forwards the southwest to west and it’s close to the road and it is a corner unit (I have a second thought about this unit because my husband is a light sleeper and will wake up with any type of noise). It’s a 3 minute walk down to the ocean front pool pavilion and beach.

I’m torn between Ekahi and MK. The reviews on both are very positive. One minute I say lets go for the MK I would save $$ vs Ekahi and on the other hand I say lets treat ourselves.

ChiSue, thanks for your advice on MK, unit G111. I know it’s not yours. How close is building G to the road? I know I-115 is quieter. How far is the walk from I-115 to the beach across the street? Thanks