We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Wailea Hotel?

Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Which Wailea Hotel?

I think I've narrowed it down to the Grand Wailea or the Marriott Wailea Beach Resort. This will be our first time in Wailea after several wonderful stays on Ka'anapali. The Westin there is one of my favorite resorts, and I'm looking for a similar feel/ambiance/experience. My husband wants to try something different, so that is the reason for the change.

The beach and pool are both important, as we will have our two daughters (19 and 21) with us, and their time is usually split between the two. For myself, I don't want anything too quiet and sedate, which is one reason I'm a bit apprehensive abour staying in Wailea. We've never ventured to that part of the island, and I really don't know what to expect.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

LOL, you sure won't find the GW 'sedate".

The Marriott will be more so than the GW, but not enough that you'll be bored or something. The Marriott just finished a HUGE renovation and the GW is due for one.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,972 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

Just so you know, the Wailea Beach Marriott isn't exactly on the beach! But you walk to the left or the right, and you will be on the beach. Ulua Beach to the north would be my choice. If you go to the south, you are on the beach in front of the Grand Wailea. It will be busier there I think.

hawaiirevealed.com/resort-reviews/…

Level Contributor
503 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

The Wailea area in general is more quiet than Kaanapali, which is a designed resort area all in one with its resorts, Whaler's Village, shops resurants, and "Dig Me Beach" beach, snorkel boats leaving from the beach, live music etc

Wailea is row of resorts and condos along a beach walk like KB but more sedate, no resturants or shops along the walkway. There are the Shops at Wailea several resturants and shops but not the same vibe as Whalers Village

You are pretty much at your hotel or walk to another hotel or drive to the Shops or into Kihei which is a vacation/residential/commerical area, shops, resturants grocery stores gas stations etc.

That said you can still gave a great time at either the Marriott or GW. We have stayed

at both and like them both for different reasons

our room at the GW in December had been completly remodeled, they are doing some wirk on the pools later this fall

Edited: 8:23 pm, January 31, 2017
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,767 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

Might you prefer a Wailea condo, since you'll have your girls with you? There's Wailea Beach Villas, Wailea Elua and Ekahi, Polo Beach Club -- all with access to the beach path and Shops At Wailea. Grand Wailea has its own condos, Ho'olei, above the hotel. I also like Palms, across the road from Keawakapu Beach.

Maui
Level Contributor
70,165 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

Do look at the thread about West versus south. The videos there may help you.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
263 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

If you like the Westin and the energy there I would suggest the Grand Wailea. It's pool complex is even bigger than the Westin and there is plenty of people, lots of pool bars/hot tubs, good service, waterslides, and nice beach. But Wailea is quieter and doesn't have something like Whaler's Village. It is nicer though. Wailea is more resort dominated and you will spend your time at the resort restaurants bars. One nice thing about the GW is that the Four Seasons is next door so you can dine at Duo, Spago, or Ferraros, all very good. The GW restaurants are OK but nothing special. They do have the Shops at Wailea, which is like a nicer Whaler's Village but since it is not on the beach so much more subdued.

Illinois
Level Contributor
248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

Thank you, all. I appreciate the insight. I guess I am leaning more toward Grand Wailea.

Level Contributor
38,818 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

We just stayed at The Grand Wailea and loved it! The Wailea area of Maui is beautiful. I loved all of the nice resorts in this area and we found some excellent restaurants. We booked through Costco Travel about 3 months in advance and found a great package through them. :)

Level Contributor
503 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

If you go GW join the Hilton Honors program and check out the AAA rate usually quite a discount

10. Re: Which Wailea Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 03, 2018