We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Lanai

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Lanai

We (my wife and I) usually go to Kauai for a month each spring (we live in Seattle), but this year we are thinking about trying something different. I thought Lanai might be interesting - it looks like there are just two hotels. My wife loves snorkeling and I play golf - is it worth a visit?

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visit to Lanai

Please enjoy the spinner dolphins with your binoculars from the shore rather than trying to swim with them. Please check out this link to learn more:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29219-i1684-k4012…

I think this human interaction continues to have a negative impact on the dolphins. I noted in luvmaui's trip report that she only saw dolphins in the bay 1 of the 14 days she was there.

-DrV

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,205 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visit to Lanai

How about a month on Maui. Split between two parts of the Island. And take the ferry to Lanai for a few days.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,956 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Visit to Lanai

Agree with DrV. The staff of the FS at Manele Bay will ask you to stay out of the water and won't hand out snorkel gear when the spinners are in the bay. Individuals need to do their part and respect that. I have been in the bay many time when spinners have come in and we exit if we see them and ask others to do so, although sadly often to no avail.

Personally, I am done with Maui after a few days and a month there would not be my choice whereas as I said I could happily spend a month on Lanai. I think it depends entirely on personal preference. But if you're drawn to Lanai you're not likely going to enjoy Maui all that much, especially for that length of time. Instead maybe spend half the time on the Big Island which ironically is the most like tiny Lanai in many ways and has stellar snorkeling in September. It has the added advantage of being so large that you'll just scratch the surface in a couple weeks or even a month.

Edited: 8:33 pm, January 18, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,615 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Visit to Lanai

I love Lanai and I would happily stay a week or two..but I would not want to stay more than that. I like more variety for restaurants when I travel. The Lodge is beautiful, but as a snorkeler and someone coming from MN, I prefer Manele Bay. I want to see the ocean when I am in Hawaii and I loved being able to just walk down to the beach every day and snorkel. I have spent over 3 weeks at a time both on Kauai and Maui and I do not get bored. I stay in quiet areas..drive when I want to go somewhere else. But after many trips I still have many things I want to see and do on both island. Another option would be a week or two on Lanai and the rest on MauI. Many good options to choose from!

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Boston...
10 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Visit to Lanai

Hi Shea,

My husband and I are going to Lanai for a Company trip and were thinking of spending a couple of extra days on Maui. After reading what you have to say I think we may just stay the extra days on Lanai. We have been once before but really did not leave the 4S Manele Bay. This year we have 4 nights at Manele and are thinking of staying 2-3 more either at Manele or Koele. Have never been to Maui, have been to Oahu lots and Big Island a couple of times. Love Hawaii!! Any suggestions on where to stay what to do??

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Visit to Lanai

Aloha hammer,

If your company is putting you up at Manele, I would just stay their the extra couple nights, as I personally feel it is not worth the hassle to pack everything up and move. You can take the shuttle to the Koele side any time you want. Please look at the things to do on Lana`i, so you get out and see all the special places on the island.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,956 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Visit to Lanai

I would move up to Koele the last couple of nights. While I've had issues with the service there it is such a unique property for Hawaii and there's a lot to do there. There's a great hike from the property, the five mile Koloiki Ridge hike. I love doing sporting clays and horseback riding, and if you like golf, the Experience is one of my favorite courses in Hawaii. Just strolling around the property and enjoying the orchid greenhouse and quiet, extensive grounds and lake is lovely. Keahiakawelo and the beaches past there are easy to access from the Lodge one day.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Visit to Lanai

Avoid 'lanai plantation home room for rent' at lliahi St at Lanai City posted in airbnb.com We stayed there 4 nights in May and was very regret.

The house is extremely dirty and has horrible smell. This is the most haunting lodging we have ever stayed in our life.

The room is probably good for backpackers or homeless people to stay. It's not even worth for $15 a night believe me.

Edited: 6:44 pm, June 10, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Lanai City
Lanai City
Lanai, HI
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
48,184 posts
1,547 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Visit to Lanai

Though this was BEFORE the Four Seasons became a presence, we did 5 nights/6 days on Lana`i, and loved it. Many (most) told us that Lana`i was a three-day-Island, and that we would die for our longer stay. That was totally incorrect, and we could easily have done 10 days.

The golf is great, and one does have a few other, somewhat interesting options, besides the two main courses. There is a muni, plus a par-3 course, and each offers a different, yet exciting experience. The muni is especially nice, as one often gets to play with a couple of locals, who will entertain you the entire round.

Throw in some tennis, horseback riding, hiking and a day (or two) with a 4x4, and you can spend two weeks.

Back then (things might well have changed?), the evening meals at the Lodge at Koele was to die for. We were less impressed by the restaurants (all of them) at the Lodge at Manile, but things have probably changed. There was also some great (more casual), and highly interesting dining in Lana`i City. At the Inn there, two brothers from Metro New Orleans, had a lovely restaurant. Not sure if they are still doing their thing, but it was great. If they are, do try their Pralines, as my wife worked with the chef to prefect his recipe. Also, tell him that the "Uptown Girl from New Orleans" sent you.

Enjoy, and please report on your stay. We need, need, need to get back!

Hunt

20. Re: Visit to Lanai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 12, 2015