We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 more days and back to Lanai!

toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
12 more days and back to Lanai!

Last year we took a break from flying to Hawaii and went to Los Cabos. It was ok but we both wanted to return to Lanai this year! Can't wait!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 12 more days and back to Lanai!

luvmaui,

That is interesting about the Condo on the ocean. It must be one of the townhomes built by the resort. In the past they were not allowed to rent them out, but I do seem to remember that this changed.

We were just in Key West at the end of November, and may go to Arizona in March. I am just not ready to do the 16-18 hour day that is now needed to get to Lana`i since there are no more non-stops from MSP to HNL. The only way to get to Honolulu in time to catch the last flight to Lana`i is to connect via ATL, and that means having to leave MSP around 5 am. Otherwise the one stop flights from MSP that stop on the west coast arrive at HNL to late the catch the connection, and we would have to stay in Honolulu for a night and fly out the next day. Two days of travel to get to Lana`i is even worse than one long day.

Since we had to connect in ATL to get to Key West, it was 7 hours of travel just to get there. I am still trying to convince MrsV to give Grand Cayman a try as Delta does fly there non-stop from MSP. It is less than a 5 hour flight. We both just hate long travel.

So have a great time!

-DrV

toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 12 more days and back to Lanai!

Hi DRV, I totally agree with you and the long travel! That's why we took a break last year from Lanai. So hard to get to from Toronto as well. We will spend the whole day travelling and we aren't going to make the ferry or the last flight. Spending a night in HNL. Probably our last trip to Lanai....at least for a very long time. The condo we are renting..I found it on VRBO...I believe it is one of the first ones built...right next to the resort. It's an older one, but looks very nice with a gorgeous view. We also have the use of the owners car. Should. Be interesting grocery shopping etc. was wondering how we could bring some decent wine with us?

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 12 more days and back to Lanai!

The wine issue is annoying, but not worth trying to bring in wine carriers from home, especially with all the connections and the stay in Honolulu. From what I recall, the options aren't terrible, like Lindemans and Mondovi, but no really good choices. But you will pay a lot less than at the restaurants.

toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 12 more days and back to Lanai!

Yes DRV...sure it would be a problem bringing wine from home! I even thought we could maybe purchase a a few bottles from Mark from Pele's...won't be cheap but maybe nice to have a couple of good one's. He seems to have nice wine in his restaurant.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
47,958 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: 12 more days and back to Lanai!

You could also buy wine in HNL, and take it with you to Lanai from there.............lots of good options in Honolulu!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,416 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: 12 more days and back to Lanai!

Wine to me is an important part of meals, as much so as the food, so I often bring my own (I have a small cellar of sorts) even when traveling to the mainland. I also travel frequently to places where I buy and bring back wine and save a lot of money by avoiding shipping costs. It's really not a hassle, I tend to travel light clothes wise, and so it's just another small suitcase. For just a few bottles, I also have a couple of products that allow me to pack wine in my existing suitcase. I see lots more people doing it nowadays, and certainly there are a lot more wine traveling cases and similar products on the market than they're used to be, so it's clearly becoming more popular.

HNL as swmarket suggests is a good idea if you have luggage issues. I prefer to avoid the ridiculous mark-up of restaurant wine when possible too, it especially seems a shame to buy wine at restaurant prices to drink in your condo!

Edited: 3:56 pm, December 15, 2013
Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: 12 more days and back to Lanai!

Aloha LuvMaui - I got wrapped up in all the pre-holiday hullabaloo that I completely missed your questions. I don't eat meat, but my husband eats fish. That is one of the frustrations with the grocery stores here, they do not consistently have fresh fish or produce. Richard's just recently went through a remodel and I'm hoping they will find a way to get better and fresher products. On occasion, we have gone over to Maui just to get fresh produce, which seems a little ridiculous to me. Kula Fields also offers delivery of produce from Maui on a monthly basis, but it's an assortment they choose. I will be interested to hear what your grocery shopping experience was while you were here. As far as wine, I have never had trouble finding a decent bottle, but I am no connoisseur. I hope you checked out one of the new businesses, Anuenue Juice Bar....yum!

18. Re: 12 more days and back to Lanai!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 27, 2014