We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Maui airport to Lanai--fast

Savannah, GA
3 posts
Save Topic
How to get from Maui airport to Lanai--fast

We arrive in Maui- OGG-- at 4 pm next Friday and have to make the last ferry--5:45--to Lanai. The best I can find is a cab from the airport to the ferry at Lahaina Harbor. The Speedy Shuttle is cheaper but probably slower.

Has anyone done this? The traffic and the fact that it is the last ferry of the day has me worried. There are no flights after our arrival or I would have booked that.

So--pick up bags, find cab, drive in "rush hour" traffic, unload bags from cab, get to ferry---time alloted, 1 hour 45 min.---Good odds? Bad? Thanks in advance.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Maui airport to Lanai--fast

to get there fast charter a helo or airplane direct to Lanai out of Maui

Texas
Level Contributor
558 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Maui airport to Lanai--fast

Wow ... what a stresser in paradise. Last time we arrived in Maui, a concrete truck had overturned and the rubberneckers backed up so long it took us 3 hours to get from the airport to Lahaina. You might be lucky, but you also might need to catch a night at the Pioneer Inn if you miss the boat.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Maui airport to Lanai--fast

Good odds? Suggest you start by going to bts.gov to learn the ontime performance of your airline. The average for Kahului is in the 75% range with the interisland carriers being much more reliable and ATA/USAir striving to stay above 50%. Optomistic: Assuming you retrieve your bags, are in a cab by 4:15 and rush time traffic pulls over to the shoulder to let you by, you should make it with 30+ minutes to spare. More realistic: Upon arrivin at the dock, whip out your binocs and you might be able to catch the stern of the ferry in the distance.

Pioneer Inn (or Lahaina Shores) will probably be where you spend the night; if they have room for a walk-up. How about making accomodation reservations now, enjoy a relaxing evening in Lahaina and catch either of the two rides to Lanai the next morning?

However, if you decide to go for the gusto anyway, please post us on the details of your adventure; should be exciting!

Good luck and enjoy....

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Maui airport to Lanai--fast

Do you have any other options? Fly into Honolulu and take the Island Air flight to Lana'i at about 6:30, or stay a night around the airport in Maui and take the one direct flight to Lana'i the next day, or spend the night in Lahaina ? The good part is that once you do get to Lana'i you will not have to deal with traffic or rushing around and you can relax. Good Luck!

5. Re: How to get from Maui airport to Lanai--fast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Lanai