We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manele Bay in summer

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Manele Bay in summer

This came up in another forum post, but I didn't want to "jack" that post. It was mentioned that Manele Bay isn't that great in summer because of the summer swells. I understand the change of the swells etc....I've been to Maui and Kauai the last 4 summers. I also know it can't be predicted...but how often is it that bad that you can't snorkel? I am asking because I am bringing family to Hawaii this summer who have never been. I thought it may be good to bring them over for a couple nights because they also love to snorkel. I have come on the Trilogy the last 4 years and not once were we not able to snorkel and we pre-book before we come. I am just wondering if we have been extremely lucky or if it typically is only a few days that you can't snorkel. Just trying to figure out what we want to do...we could do Trilogy, but I thought more time might be nice to see the rest of the sland. Snorkeling is very important to us though.

Thanks in advance!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manele Bay in summer

I think mid-July to August are worse than June.

I was there for eight days straight without seeing one day when snorkeling would have been remotely possible. The beach attendants agreed it was bad.

Is that typical? I can't say.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manele Bay in summer

Hmmmm weird...we always come in mid to end of July because I work through June. Maybe we have been lucky.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manele Bay in summer

South swells are not continuous, but you already know that.

What I know is that the shore angle at Hulopo'e is enough that the break is very forceful when the surf is up, as in knock you down strong.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manele Bay in summer

Here are some south swell at Hulopo'e photos put on a Facebook page by a surfer. (end of August)

www.hs.facebook.com/media/set/…

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manele Bay in summer

Summer swells can be brutal. If you look at my review of Hulopo'e Beach in 'Thing to Do', I posted a photo of the summer shore break. You can barely see a dot of a man who got clobbered. That's not to say that every day in the summer will be big swells, but they tend to pick up on the south shores in the summer. If you see the surfers heading down, obviously you won't be snorkeling that day. :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manele Bay in summer

Thanks Nature Cat....I am just truly surprised it is that much of a problem since we never had a problem 4 different summers and when we went the first time last winter, it was the worst for us. I guess that's why they say it's unpredictable :) Thanks again!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manele Bay in summer

Thanks for the "onsite" comments NatureCat. I have never been to Lana`i in the summer (too nice here in Minnesota). Of my 100 or so winter days I have spent on Lanai`, I would guess less than 10% were too rough to snorkel (usually because of winter storms).

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,602 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manele Bay in summer

I used to go to Lana'i in summer, but after several trips of poor visibility, when we could snorkel at all, I decided to just go in winter. February is awesome because in addition to the almost always calm water, it's whale season.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,220 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manele Bay in summer

Ok thanks! Finally got those FB pics to come up...wow :)

I am staying in March and checking out the whole island...I will report to my Aunt and Uncle and see if they want to risk it in the summer.

Thank you!

Scotland
Level Contributor
125 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manele Bay in summer

We were there in the first week of June last year and it was fine.