We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
How Long...

Is two days enough time to see Lanai? Planning a 10 day trip to Maui and want to spend a couple nights on Lanai. Just want to make sure we have enough time to see what Lanai has to offer.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,798 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long...

It depends on what you want to do.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long...

Mainly hiking and possibly some snorkling.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
49,492 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long...

Aloha,

I'd skip snorkeling there, since you'll have lots of time on Maui. Yes, in 2 days you can explore Lana'i easily and pretty well-have fun!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long...

Aloha Kriztie,

I of course speak from a biased point of view, but I can't image how 2 nights would be enough to do justice to Lana`i. Two nights is really only one full day. I have spent as long as 16 nights on Lana`i. Check this link for all there is to do on the island:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29219-c2257/Lanai:Ha…

I personally find the snorkeling on Lana`i to be some of the best in Hawai`i, so at least a half day on Hulopo'e Beach for snorkeling and lounging is a must. The Fisherman's Trail hike will take a couple hours round trip, the Sweetheart Rock another 45 minutes, and Koloiki Ridge hike about 3 hours round trip. So combined that is close to another day. Also, being able to take advantage of the every 3rd, 4th or 5th night free promotions would make staying longer a good idea.

But you know your likes and dislikes the best, so read over the link, think about what you want to do on Maui, and then plan the number of days on each island accordingly. Have fun planning your trip!

-DrV

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Long...

Two days will be enough to get an idea of what Lana'i has to offer, but not enough time to thoroughly enjoy the island. If you're an explorer and really want to get out there to see some of the remote sites, it will take upwards of 1 or 2 hours drive time each way. Then if you factor in a hike or beach combing, plus travel time back 'n forth between Lana'i and Maui, you've eaten up most of your two days very quickly.

It really is a preference though. Some can't get enough of the natural beauty and want to spend more time exploring. Others get bored quickly. I'm also biased since I live here, but Lana'i is a really special place and has a lot to offer.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
96 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Long...

Thanks for the great advice...I will definitely check out all that Lanai has to offer and what exactly we want to see and do.

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Long...

Just FYI...I always recommend "A Pocket Guide to Lana'i" for new visitors. I think it's about $10 on amazon and is really helpful for planning purposes. You may be able to pick up a copy at the resort gift shop, art center, or Hotel Lana'i. For a 2 day trip, I think it would be worth the $10.

8. Re: How Long...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, December 17, 2013