We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning an event in Lanai

Todos Santos, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Planning an event in Lanai

Hello! We are from Mexico and are designing an event in Lanai, but we have never been. Anyone have suggestions of a place to stay close to Manele Bay but a house or condo rental?

Also, we are going to need rentals ... it appears as though Maui is the closest and best option we have for things like chairs, tables, etc. Anyone have any experience with that?

And lastly we will need to rent a van - it appears that the only option is Dollar. Anyone have any experience with that or tips and advice?

Has anyone ever rented a car in Maui and driven it over on a Ferry? Would that be a viable option?

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance! :)

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

Can't help with most of your questions but can a couple.

The ferry is not a car ferry just people.

You will be hard pressed to find many condo or home rentals. There are a few but not many.

Are you sure you want an event on Lanai? It really will be difficult to put together. What kind of event is it?

Dollar is you only option for a van and I am not even sure if they have them

Edited: 3:17 pm, November 16, 2012
Todos Santos, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

It's not our choice - it's the client - they are having their event at the Four Seasons in Manele Bay - thank you so much for your tip on the ferry - that saves me some research :).

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,841 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

Aloha,

Perhaps this is a dumb q............how about working with the Events Planner at Manele Bay?

Todos Santos, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

We're trying to avoid upcharges - anytime you include another vendor they add a commission on top of the price. I was just hoping that someone was from Lanai or Maui and could give us some assistance as far as finding the source ;).

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,841 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

Aloha,

Well, the prob is that Maui and Lana'i really are not 'connected' ref services, rentals, or any of the things you need. So you are "stuck" with dealing with Lana'i and its very limited choices.

Even on Maui, if you were holding an event at a resort, they often have the right to dictate who/what you use. You can't, for example, rent and set up/tear down your own chairs and tables at most. You sometimes can cater the food from an outside vendor, but usually not. If you were renting a 'location' only-e.g., a house or community center on Maui--you could do more on your own. But not in the resorts.

Your commission will be reduced, I get that. But you may not have any choice. You really need to research the hotel's policies, 'cause I suspect you will have to use them. It's not just a way for them to make money--it's also to protect their brand and image.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

Even if you find chairs or whatever on Maui it is going to cost a bunch to have them shipped to Lanai.

Lanai is tiny island with about 3000 people. There is no large city or services to speak of.

Take the advice of engaging a planner or be prepared to try to organize something long distance that may not even be possible

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,841 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

Aloha,

I forgot to add that insurance requirements (from you to the resort) will be substantial, were they even to allow you to 'do your own thing'.

There are chair/tent/table rentals on Maui. No way you could get them to Lana'i except by $$$$$$$$ air freight.

Does your client know anything about Lana'i? Did s/he pick it for a specific reason, versus a better/more workable location? What kind of event is this--wedding, corporate thing, reunion, ??? How many people will be there?

Todos Santos, Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

SWmarket - please don't get defensive - my point wasn't trying to rob anyone of anything. We just want to provide the best design/service possible within whatever is available at the best price for our client. Of course we have sent an email to the resort to ask their policies and we are awaiting response. I am a designer and do my own florals so I have emailed various wholesalers in Maui to see the price of flowers. I have worked through-out Mexico working with both private villas and resorts and always ask their policies and what is allowed/not allowed. My point on here was just to get a feel for how the island works - to hopefully speak to someone who actually lives on the island but not part of the resort to give us a better feel for how things work so that, when we do speak directly to the resort, we are most knowledgable about the area as possible. Perhaps it was erroneous of me to think that this would be a good place to get an insider's look at the island, but I thought I would give it a try.

Thank you so much for your insights. Ciao :).

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,841 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

Aloha,

Sorry if you were upset...........I wasn't being defensive--- I have no affiliation with events, the resort, or any of the related things. I was just trying to point out the issues you are/will encounter. As I said, Lana'i is prob the worst choice for this kind of thing, unless you are okay with paying resort prices and living with their policies. On Maui, you could rent a house or center..........set up your own stuff, cater your own food, on and on. But not little Lana'i--and esp. not at a FS property. They do guard their rep like hawks (and again, I don't work for them :-) )

Flowers--ouch, you are going to pay a fortune for shipping. The Ferry that runs between Maui and Lana'i is a small passenger and *very limited* baggage/item boat. No way you can bring boxes and boxes of flowers on board.

Doing business in Hawaii is waaaaaay different than Mexico. Doing business on each island is different-and apart from Moloka'i, Lana'i is the most difficult. Nearly the whole island is owned by one man, and the remainder is divided between a small amount of longtime families and the prior owner of the bulk of the island. As Bill said, there are not many residents; I think the last count was about 2400. There's very little 'business' outside of the resorts-- a few galleries, and the little Hotel Lana'i. It is much of the charm that IS Lana'i, but also much of the difficulty in planning or doing things there.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,087 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning an event in Lanai

Aloha Vmami,

I am sorry this is so frustrating for you. Bill and SW have spelled out the limitations of planning events on Lana`i. That is not to say there are not many events there, but they are generally arranged by the resort. Lana`i is a privately owned island, with tourism as its primary business. There are often corporate events (I am sure the resorts love them for all the business they bring in), but again they use the resort to organize it, supply the needed chairs, tables, food, entertainment, etc. I am sure these do get very expensive. I would love to be part of a corporation that sponsored such an event. :-) So far I have only benefited by having reduced conference room rates when there is a medical seminar there. I still have to pay my way.

In regards to renting condos that is also very limited. There are private homes that are part of the resort complexes, but my understanding is that there are significant limitations put on the owners to rent these out (like minimum stay time, very high costs, etc.). There are some B&B's and a couple housed for rent in town, but they are a 20 minute drive from Manele.

For what do you need a van rental? If one stays at the resort you get complimentary use of the reosrt shuttle buses, which run between the two resorts with an additonal stop in Lana`i City.

I think Lana`i is a great place for an event thanks to its beauty, charm and undeveloped splendor. However, my understanding is that your options for holding such an event are limited to using the resort.

-DrV