We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle bus from Ferry from Lahaina

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle bus from Ferry from Lahaina

I'm trying to understand what the shuttle does (meet each ferry from Lahaina??), how often it runs from place to place, what cost is ($10 for the day?), who runs it (the hotels??) and where to get specific information online, or? Does it run year round? (we will be there over Christmas 2012-2013).

We want to make a day trip on the boat from Lahaina and return, using the shuttle.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,986 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle bus from Ferry from Lahaina

Which shuttle are you talking about? Where are you coming from? Where are you going?

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle bus from Ferry from Lahaina

We are taking the Expeditions Maui-Lanai ferry from Lahaina.

We are spending the day seeing whatever the shuttle service provides (someone alluded to the "hotel shuttle" that runs to both hotels and Lanai City and the ferry terminal in another thread).

We do not want to rent a car.

We will return to Lahaina on the same day on the Expeditions Maui-Lanai ferry.

Edited: 4:33 pm, April 18, 2012
Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle bus from Ferry from Lahaina

Aloha Jane,

I think I understand. You will take the ferry from Lahaina to Lana`i. The resort meets every ferry with a shuttle bus. The shuttle will take you to either Manele Bay or the Lodge at Koele, the two 4 Seasons resorts on the island. If you pay the approx $10 day use few, the shuttle will take you between the two resorts, with a stop in Lana`i City.

Here is my usual info on a day trip to Lana`i without a Jeep rental:

Another option is to take the ferry over and snorkel on your own at Hulopo'e Beach (where Trilogy goes). It is only a 10 minute walk from the ferry dock. This is a much cheaper option, $60/person round trip. You would need to bring rented snorkel gear along from Maui, as there is none available for rent on Lana'i. Here is a link to their website:

http://www.go-lanai.com/

In addition you will still be able to look for whales (in season) and dolphins from the ferry, with the exception that the ferry will not go out of its way to get a better look. Once on Lana'i you can also take a nice short hike up to Pu'u Pehe Overlook (Sweetheart Rock), where you will have great views of Maui and Kaho'olawe. There are also great tidal pools to check out around the beach. You can also take the 5 minute walk up to the Four Seasons Manele Bay Resort and check out the great artwork and beautiful gardens. Lunch at the Ocean Grill there has great views although it is fairly expensive. Otherwise you can bring a picnic lunch and have it right on the beach. There are picnic tables, as well as facilities and showers there.

You can get a day pass on the shuttle that the resorts run on the island. It is cheaper than the Jeep (something like $10/person), but of course only takes you on the paved roads. It is at the ferry dock for all boat arrivals, goes to Manele Bay, stops at Hotel Lana’i in Lana’i City (from which you can explore the small town – have lunch and check out the shops and galleries), and ends up at the Lodge at Koele. It runs every 30-60 minutes depending on the occupancy of the resorts and the time of day.

My only warning is that you will have such a good time on Lana'i that you will not want to return to Maui at the end of the day.

And here is some info on Lana`i City:

Lastly one can tour Lana`i City. Actually a small town that is easily covered on foot. There are no big box stores or national chains there, and that's what makes it so nice. In fact there is not a stop light on the entire island. The Local Gentry has very nice clothes for women and men. Dis'N'Dat shop lives up to its name and has a little of this and that including jewelry, wood carvings, wind chimes, and just an unusual array of gifts. There are a couple galleries in town which have some outstanding artwork. The Mike Carroll Gallery and Jordanne Gallery are great, and both display their work in the hotel lobbies regularly. There is also a wonderful Lana`i Art Center with works from many artists as well as artist's supplies for those who are inspired. There are two grocery/general stores with all the necessities you may have forgotten to bring (wine and liquor also sold). Another newer store is Lana`i Beach Walk with beachwear, Crocs, gifts and casual clothing. Many stores are closed on Sunday. The small Hotel Lana`i in town is fun to check out and very reasonably priced is one is looking for a more budget conscious place to stay. It has about 12 rooms including a small separate cottage. Just opened in 2010 is the Lana`i Culture and Heritage Center. This is an amazing place where you can see old artifacts, watch interesting videos about the island, and learn about the history of the people and the land. It is in the old Dole Administrative building (just to the left of Hotel Lana`i as you face the hotel) and is open Monday - Friday from 9-3 and Saturday from 9-1.

And there are several restaurants in town: Pele's Other Garden (deli by day, Italian restaurant by night with delicious pasta and great pizza), Blue Ginger Cafe with delicious Mahi burgers and local food plates, Canoes Lana`i also with local food (breakfast and lunch only), Cafe 565 with sandwiches and pizza, and Lana`i City Grill (formally Henry Clays) in the Hotel Lana`i with outstanding venison and roasted chicken. Also, there is a candy/ice cream shop called Sweetest Days (the pineapple ice cream is great), a new Lana`i Poke Market and a coffee shop called Coffee Works. The prices at the Lana`i City Grill approach those at the FS resorts (but so does the quality of food), but the other places in town are more reasonably priced. Pele's and Lana`i City Grill are the only places in town with beer, wine and liquor, and of course both resorts have full service bars. There is not much night life on the island. A delicious meal and listening to live music in the resort lounges is what you should expect. On Friday night the Lana`i City Grill has some live music too.

Have a great visit to Lana`i.

-DrV

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle bus from Ferry from Lahaina

Thank you so very much for the detailed info. I was on Lanai maybe 25 years ago, before the Lodge and Manele Bay hotels were built and while pineapple still filled much of the island. I remember the Dole admin bldg in town and Lanai City with its beautiful Norfolk Island Pine trees. I still remember the fragrance of the pineapple as we drove up the side of the old caldera into the bowl where they grew pineapples. We had a picnic BBQ over on the beach where the Manele Bay hotel now stands.

It will be fun and interesting to see it today. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and well-written reply.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle bus from Ferry from Lahaina

That is very interesting. During my several visits to Lana`i, I have met a few people who had been visiting the island since the 70's or 80's and stayed at the Hotel Lana`i, when that was the only place to stay there. And the good news is that they still were coming regularly since.

I am sorry you will not likely smell pineapple, although they grow a little for local consumption only by the airport. But besides the two resorts, you hopefully will find much of the island the same. I hope you can get to the Culture and Heritage museum due to your past visit.

6. Re: Shuttle bus from Ferry from Lahaina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 pm, June 18, 2013