We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours at the FS Lodge

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
24 hours at the FS Lodge

A friend of ours has given us the most amazing gift...Valentine's Day/Night at the The Lodge at Koele during our 10 day trip to Maui. For a variety of reasons, we can't stay more than one night, or stay at the Four Seasons on Maui.

I am thinking of this more as a trip to an amazing hotel, than a trip to Lanai. (I'm very excited to visit another island, but I know to truly appreciate it, I need more than 24 hours.)

So, I'm wondering...if you were given this amazing gift, how would you spend your 24 hours?

How would you spend your time?

Where would you eat?

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,692 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Congrats! That is amazing...if it was me I would simply park at the resort and enjoy the ambiance they provide! It is an amazing place!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

I would eat at the Lanai City Grill in the Hotel Lanai. It is closed on Monday and Tuesday so keep that in mind.

As to what to do, rent a jeep for the day from Adventure Lanai Ecocentre and explore the island. Walk around town (it is not that big) and check out the shops, especially the Mike Carrol Gallery.

BTW, you have a great friend :)

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,683 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Some additional thoughts. Since you are only staying 1 night you may want to contact the FS and see if you can either check in early or at least drop off your bags till you can check in other wise you are not even going to get 24 hours. Of course I do not know what your other plans are, perhaps you will not even be checking out of your Maui place and just taking enough things for one day.

If you do opt to rent a jeep keep in mind the two track roads are dusty and you will get covered with it. We generally just wear our bathing suits and for me a t-shirt and for my lovely brinde a wrap and t-shirt that way we can just hop in the shower "dressed" and wash everything off.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,767 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Aloha,

I tend to agree that renting a jeep and doing some exploring is a great plan. But, if you decide against that-the Lodge is a wonderful place to enjoy the hotel's amenities........horseback riding, skeet shooting, walking, etc.

Can your friend be my friend????!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Thanks all! I wasn't sure if it would be worth it to rent a jeep for 24 hours...but sound like it still might be, so I will at least investigate it.

We are truly blessed by this offer and will enjoy every minute I'm sure! Everyone needs a friend like ours!

My boyfriends mom will be staying in the condo on Maui, so we are lucky that we will be able to get away with a small bag.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Aloha Jen,

Sorry, I am late to this party, but it has been a busy couple days at work.

What a great opportunity! Here is a link to all to everything to do on Lana`i. Look it over and see what you would enjoy the most:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g29219-c2257/Lanai:Ha…

Bill gave you great advice. Make sure you get down to Hulopo`e Beach at the Manele Bay resort for a short time, as this is a wonderful beach with great snorkeling.

Have a great trip to Hawai`i.

-DrV

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Aloha Jen,

You will not be disappointed staying on Lanai! No doubt you will see whales on the trip coming and going, one of my favorite things to see :)

We really had fun exploring ship wreck beach (there is an actual wrecked ship in the water). The Munro trail was awesome, it was a bit bumpy navigating the ruts, we went through low hanging clouds and the view from the top is great. It was another favorite island memory.

The Lodge has a quiet ambiance and is a neat place to stay.

Enjoy

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
61,767 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Aloha,

Sadly, the Munro Trail was closed recently, Mauigrandgal. Too much liability and erosion are the reasons I'm aware of.

Others more familiar with the current status can hopefully clarify whether the trail is still open for hiking-I'm not sure.

Missouri
Level Contributor
33 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Aloha swmarket,

Mahalo for the information on the trail, I hate to hear that but now very glad that we did get to enjoy it...bumps and all :) it was beautiful!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 24 hours at the FS Lodge

Yes, SW is right, no rental jeeps on the Munro Trail. I still feel that some of the other off-road drives are more rugged than this trail. But you can hike it, as part of the trail is taken on the Koloiki Ridge hike. Also, when we were hiking it last winter, a few ATV's went by. So one could check with Adventure Lana`i Ecocentre as to whether they go our on the Munro Trail with their ATV rides.

Get answers to your questions about Lanai