We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munro Trail

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Munro Trail

Just got here and was informed that Castle & Cooke no longer maintain the trail so it is now forbidden by both ALE and Dollar to use it.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munro Trail

Bill that is what we were told last winter, but I was hoping this would change. When we were hiking on it several people went by on ATV's. I am not sure if they were locals or one of the ATV's that ALE rents. The part we hiked, up to the Koloiki Ridge was just fine, but maybe up by Lanaihale it is worse.

I am so jealous that you are there! ;-)

Have a great visit!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munro Trail

Yes ATVs are still allowed as is hiking just not jeeps. No longer matters if it has rained it is just not allowed.

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Munro Trail

It was great to meet you and your lovely wife, Bill!

That's such a shame that they are not allowing the Jeeps on the Munro. My husband talked to a friend today who said the trail is in good shape all the way, even for a 2WD. I guess ALE and Dollar don't want to take the risk. Really a bummer for visitors though. The Munro Trail is one of the highlights of the island. Hope they change the policy!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munro Trail

It is so nice that TA members are able to meet in person. It is especially nice when the meeting place is Lana`i.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munro Trail

It was terrific meeting you and your husband as well. You two are so lucky to be able to live in paradise. It was also nice meeting the other kat as well...three pairs of Lanai addicts in the same room.

A plus to having to leave was there were two whales just off the harbor for us to see as we ferried to Maui.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,819 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Munro Trail

BB have a great time. That info makes me feel so blessed that I took the time to ride the Monro Trail with my jeep rental on my day tour to Lana'i.

(Just wondering? Is this an issue with too much "traffic' on the trail, or maintenance issues and related jeep rental liability issues? Thanks for any feedback.)

Again, have a great time BB! Aloha!

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,075 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munro Trail

Caddy, my understanding is that it is maintenance factors. But from all my experiences with driving the Munro Trail and NatureCat's comments above, there are a lot worse roads on Lana`i that are not restricted. Traffic is not an issue on any road on Lana`i.

Those whales really are early this year. I have seen other posts that the first were spotted in late September in the islands. I don't blame the whales. I would rather be in Hawai`i at this time the year, than in Alaska. ;-)

8. Re: Munro Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, October 26, 2012