We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code at the Four Seasons

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
365 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code at the Four Seasons

I am in the midst of packing and having a little trouble. We will start our trip in Hilo/Volcano, visit Lanai and end up in Maui. We need warm clothes for Volcano and Haleakala, and beach wear for the rest.

My question is, how do the guests dress at the Four Season?

Do women look like they just stepped out of the Ralph Lauren showroom, or do they shop at Kohls?

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

Ladies in full length gowns men in tuxedos.

OK just kidding, most look like (and do) shop at Kohls or Target. It is very laid back and besides, does it really matter what everyone else is wearing?

Most people way over pack when visiting Hawaii. Our first visit we probably didn't use half or more of the clothes we brought.

My advice, forget the fashion and concentrate on the fact you are in paradise.

Besides, after a day on the trails in a jeep no matter what you wear it will be coated in a nice layer of red dust so yes, you will look just like anyone else who had been out 4x4'ing :-)

Edited: 6:43 am, August 10, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
365 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

Thanks Bill.... do you know the difference between something that came from Ralph Lauren or Kohls? You know I've heard that women dress for other women, not for men.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

Yes I had heard that and I am sure it is probably true. I do see posts all the time about wanting to lose xx pounds so they can look good in their 10 swim suits. I guess somethings just never change. I really do not care how other people view us, heck we even wear matching aloha outfits some days....lol

At any rate, you are going to love Lanai. Of all the islands we find it to be something extra special.

Mentioned in this post
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

The only dress requirement is if you eat at the Dining Room at the Lodge at Koele, there men need to wear long pants and a collared shirt.

The nights are cool up in Lana`i City and at the Lodge, so long pants and a light sweater may be helpful.

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
365 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

"The only dress requirement is if you eat at the Dining Room at the Lodge at Koele, there men need to wear long pants and a collared shirt. "

What about shoes for men?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,057 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

Actually the Lodge "requests" long pants and a collared shirt, but given the coolness in the evening, long pants isn't a big deal.

There is no place on Maui I wear long pants, not even the Four Seasons or Kauai, but there are about five places on Oahu I wear long pants and even a sports coat sometimes.

The Dining Room is nice, but the Terrace is usually good enough to keep us happy.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maryland
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

Okay, I know the guys are trying here, but let me give at least one female answer....

I disagree with Bill...it is not a primarily Kohl's/Target crowd. No, they're not all wearing designer clothes, but there are a few, and a surprising number of women were wearing full makeup and jewelry at breakfast when we were there. However, there were also some who were not, so I wouldn't sweat it if you're not that kind of person. I'm a very laid back, no makeup kind of gal, and I felt just fine. (My clothes are a mix of REI, LLBean with a little Target and Nordstrom thrown in.)

I did have a few little lightweight skirts and dressier halters with nice looking inexpensive necklaces that I wore so that I felt like I fit in for breakfast in the restaurant, but as long as you're wearing clothes without holes, I think you're okay during the day.

At the pool and the beach, I don't think anyone will even notice what you're wearing...I personally keep covered up in long sleeve shirts or my wetsuit. As long as you've got your (complimentary for your use during your stay) Manele beach bag thrown over your shoulder, you'll fit in just fine. (I just loved throwing all my junk in that bag and not having to worry about getting sand in my travel pack!)

For the most part we ate in town at night, and for that you'll want slacks (we mainly wore the ubiquitous convertible travel pants), and maybe a decent looking top with a light jacket/sweater, as it is much cooler at altitude at night. (Whatever you bring for Volcano/Haleakala will be plenty.) Our one dinner at Koele (Terrace restaurant, not the Dining Room), I wore a very casual dress and hubby wore khakis and a lightweight collared shirt.

I think the only reason I felt the need to dress nicer for breakfast is because you go through the beautiful lobby and I just didn't feel right wearing my most basic of travel clothes. If you think you'll feel uncomfortable, bring clothes that'll make you feel more comfortable in the surroundings, but honestly, I don't think anyone seemed at all judgmental. Certainly, the staff were so friendly and helpful, they will definitely not look down on you the way some staff in fancier places do. If you're planning on having all your dinners at the resorts, you might want something a little dressier, but even then, I think you'd be fine with just summer dress sort of things.

I honestly felt more of a need to dress up for the restaurants in Maui, but not much. Also, be sure to buy the organic cotton long-sleeve t-shirt they sell in the gift shop at Haleakala (I think it was at the summit). It has become my favorite light weight long sleeve travel shirt, and it supports the park!!

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to ask about specifics...

-Kat

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

'I disagree with Bill...it is not a primarily Kohl's/Target crowd. "

Not exactly what I said, I said "most look like (and do) shop at Kohls or Target." Maybe it is just me but without looking at tags I have a hard time determining where clothes come from. My intent was to say you do not need top of the line top designer clothes, most folks I saw just looked comfortable and normal.

Sorry for the confusion but pretty mush all of Hawaii is laid back unlike some places on the mainland with strict dress codes and yes, men need shoes to go with their long pants and collared shirts...lol

Mentioned in this post
LA
Level Contributor
11,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

Thing Tommy Bahama. It's like a uniform there.

Maryland
Level Contributor
84 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress code at the Four Seasons

Sorry if I misinterpreted you Bill! I just wanted to point out that I did see some rather fashion-focused sorts when we were there, and that, and the surroundings, so make me feel like I want to look a bit nicer. (Maybe that's my insecurities showing, or my not wanting to spoil the view for others who expect a nicer dress code.)

I think the question about the shoes is more: will sandals or closed toe athletic shoes be okay for men, or do they need actual loafers? (That's always my husband's question.)

If I remember, I think my hubby did have his loafers, but I'm thinking we'll just take Tevas and our NorthFace Hedgehogs this trip. It's just not worth dragging around extra shoes.