We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lanai or Molokai?

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
Lanai or Molokai?

I will be in Hawaii for a week in the middle of January with two girlfriends (in our mid 20s). We are definitely going to Maui for a few days, but also want to take a ferry to a more secluded island for a day. We'd like to rent a jeep and do a lot of site seeing so I'm trying to figure out which would be a better choice, Lanai or Molokai? Does one island out do the other and if so, how? Are they pretty comparable price wise for the ferry and jeep rental? Also, can you pay for the ferry tickets and jeep rental in advance or do you have to wait until you get there? Any information would be of great help. Thanks!

Level Contributor
1,647 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lanai or Molokai?

You can book your ferry and jeep for Lanai at this website: http://www.go-lanai.com/

I've never been to Molokai, so I can't compare them, but I thought Lanai was paradise.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lanai or Molokai?

For a day of bangin' 'n bouncin' around in a Jeep, could see how Lanai might be more of an adventure. However, riding a Mule on Molokai is a truly unique experience; and not just a "Guy thing"!

The Maui/Molokai Ferry schedule used to arrive early enough to get to the Mule Ride on time, but has been altered recently. If interested, you might check with the MMR and see if they'll wait on you (my guess is that, for three Ladies from Georgia, the Gentleman Mule Skinners will say "Ae,'e,o,eo!)

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lanai or Molokai?

Lana'i is a wonderful island, undeveloped except for the 2 resorts, great 4x4 roads to take you to isolated locations, and a fun "downtown" Lana'i City for a laid back lunch or shopping. And you can check out the two outstanding resorts. I also have not been to Molokai, but the small size of Lana'i makes it more managable for a day trip.

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor