We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

Aloha. We wil have 8 hrs to see this beautiful island.! What do the experts suggest we do? Your suggestions please! We are flying onto the island and off the same day.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

A helicopter tour is the best way to see the whole island - take InterIsland tours out of Port Allen for a knock-your-socks off experience. You'll have flown over Waimea Canyon, so no need to drive to it - head back east and visit one of the waterfalls near Kapa'a - Opaeka'a and can't remember the other one... In Kapa'a, stop at the open air craft fair for handmade souvenirs (we like the bowls and other wood products), then head up to the North Shore. Stop at Kileaua lighthouse for views, maybe check out Na Aina Kai botanic garden for pretty flowers, snorkel at Ke'e or Tunnels if the water is mellow, late lunch/afternoon snack at Princeville Resort if you don't mind spending your kids' college fund on a burger - but what a view.

Without knowing your specific interests (and age, activity level, etc), it's hard to recommend anything more than the basic "musts".

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

8 HOURS ON KAUAI:

You might, as suggested take an helo tour, but since your time is rather limited, you might fly out of Lihue Airport for you helo tour.

Air Kauai, Jack Harter, and Will Squires are good companies.

Don't get me wrong, Inter Island is SUPERB, but they fly out of Port Allen up on the West Side, and it does involve MORE drivng time, and oposite the direction you might be driving if you intend on seeing the east and north shores.

A short drive from the Lihue Airport is Opeakea Falls ( the lookout ), BACK TO THE MAIN HIGHWAY ( 2 lane road-one each direction)continuing on north as mentioned is the Kiluea Light House, and a great view of the coast.

Bontanical Gardens are also excellent ideas.

If it is during the summer, the north shore beaches are great for snokeling, and soaking up some sun surrounded with beautiful scenery.

Fun places to eat up on the north shore: Coupe of ideas.

Mediteranean Gormet, in the Hanalei Colony Resort, near Tunnels.

Wonderful ocean view, great food, cheery and fun.

Hanalei Dolphin, eat out at the tables along the river, or on the lanai, Excellent food and service, and very pleasant. Makai side, at the approach end of Hanalei Town, near Kayak Hanlei.

Might even have time to kayak the hanalei river with kayak kauai, on your own, or a guided trip.

If you miss na aina kai botanical gardens, you might try Limahuli Gardens up on the North Shore. Self guided trips are great, and the guide tours is excellent.

Shop and browse the shops and galleries of quaint little Hanalei Town. ( before or after lunch ). We generally go after hiking or snorkeling, then eat, and then Erica checks out the clothes at Tropical Tantrum, and then drive home.

That should probably work out, and you will be headed back to Lihue.

WHY ONLY 8 HOURS ? Kauai is such magnificent beauty, that we hope you will retrun for a week or two, and not be rushed. Well, after the helo tour, no matter which one you decide on, you will understand what we mean, about returning.

Denny

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

i agree with denny, 8 hours just isn't enough time...but if you only have 8 hours, a helo tour with Jack Harter is your best bet. If that's out of the budget and you want to see some lush tropical beauty...rent a car and drive north on Kuhio Hwy. until you can't drive anymore. Along the way you will see the most beautiful sites right from your car....sandy coastlines, lush valleys, rolling green hills, sheer cliffs, taro patches, old one lane bridges, quaint towns, meandering streams, dry and wet caves, and when you get to the end of the road you'll be at Ke'e beach.Jump in for a nice dip, some snorkeling or hike up the Kalalau trailhead to view the gorgeous Na Pali coastline. On your way back you can check out Kilauea Light House and Opaekaa Falls. Once you finish there you'll realize that you need more time because you've only seen less than half the island and it was amazing. But there's always other trips back to Kauai to see what you missed because by that time you'll be kicking yourself that you only had 8 hours.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

Oh my gosh, you are convincing me to possibly stay overnight....

Myself and a friend are visiting Oahu in a couple of weeks. She has never been to Hawaii and I have never been to Kauai but have heard and read beautiful things about it! There were some very reasonable flights but now I see that they have gone up somewhat.

Quite honestly, I want to check out Kauai as my hubby and I are planning an anniversary trip. I am very torn between Costa Rica and Kauai and a trip to the island would give me some more insight for planning. We love to sit on a balony with a view, drink coffee/cocktails, cook our own meals and soak in the warm breezes. Throw in a few days of touring around ie: waterfalls, rainforest, turtles and people watching on a beautiful beach are visions of our perfect holiday.

Thank you for all of your contributions....by the way, have any of you Kauai lovers been to Costa Rica...just as a comparison?

Bradley, Maine
Level Contributor
685 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

what to do? Easy answer.... Add one week.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

Hi,

We have been to Costa Rica 3 times and will probably go back next year.

We have also been going to Kauai since 1997 when we bought a timeshare at the Marriott in Lihue.

Kauai has much better beachs for the most part, although some of the beaches on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica are real good. Snorkeling is better in Kauai overall, we usually see turtles and have also seen a monk seal and a manta ray.

Costa Rica is much better for wildlife, volcano, rainforest, Monteverde cloud forest, etc.

You might also consider the Riviera Maya if you want beautiful white sand beachs (which are also not hot to walk upon) and Mayan ruins and some wildlife (birds and monkeys). We are going back there for 15 days in May.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,843 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

Honestly, 8 hours to see Kaua'i and determine whether or not to make an extended return trip is just about impossible.

Due mostly to traffic considerations, there is no way that you can see all of the island in that time, and each part is different and distinctive from the others.

Probably the poster that said a helicopter tour (since there are companies that leave in the immediate area of the airport) would be your best bet -- then you could have a meal in Lihu'e and that is about all you'd have time for.

Georgia
Level Contributor
436 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

Hi. I definately agree with the other posters on taking a heli tour. We went with interisland, but agree because of the distance you should probably use Jack Harter that also has a great reputation. Just make sure you take a doors off tour. You're really not giving yourself much time for anything elso though. We stayed 3 nights on Kauai and 4 nights in Maui and Kauai really felt a little too rushed. I would rather go there rushed though than miss it entirely :-) Go to a Borders Books or maybe your library and check out the book kauai revealed which is nicknamed the blue bible on the TA because of all the info in it. It will probably give you a pretty good idea of what the island is like. Well good luck and I hope you can rearrange things to spend more time there. Aloha

9. Re: Fly in & out of Kauai in one day...what can we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 26, 2009