We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

We are about to rent from owners with units advertised in VBRO. I understand that this is the way to go at this resort.

However, I have read horrible things about cats and chickens roaming around the property, and the filthy pool, and non-guests using the pool and occupying the pool chairs. I also read from others how beautiful the property is.

But what is the REAL story on the common areas? Anyone been here within the past month or so that can comment? How about an owner who knows the real story? Thanks, all.

Hanalei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
295 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

We didn't stay there but stopped by one time last year and it seemed to be fine at a glance.

I never saw a cat on Kauai, but there are chickens EVERYWHERE. Seriously...EVERYWHERE. You will see (and hear!) them the whole time you're there.

Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

We have been vacationing at Hanalei Bay Resort for the past 5 years. Yes, there are chickens who walk around the outside condo areas...but they are all ofver Kauai and aren't a problem. You do hear them in the morning...but who wants to sleep in when you are in such a beautiful place. The pool is not dirty. They designed it to flow with the beauty of the island. The bottom of the pool was painted to look like the bottom of a stream or natural pool. They treat it with something other than chlorine which is so much better than that chemical smell. As for cats, I would have been out of this resort in record time if I saw cats walking around. Fear of them is an understatement from my personal point of view.

In a nutshell, we love the area and Hanalei Bay has the Bali Hai Restaurant which has one of the most beautiful views you will ever see. Never had a bad meal there.

We were there in October with 2 other couples. The two other couples has never been there and just couldn't stop taking photos and enjoying the resort. By the way, I am a timeshare owner who never rents out her week because I want to be there.

Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

Haven't been there in the last month, but we stayed there in October of 2005, and are returning for a week in February (almost to the 30 day point... Yeah). We traveled with my brother and sister in law who are very particular in the places that they stay. None of us had any gripes about the public areas, and we swam in the pool almost daily. (The only gripe I had about the pool was that it was semi-cool). I didn't think the pool, or any common areas looked dirty. BTW- we are timeshare owners, who traded into the resort (not owners at this resort). I will post a review when we return.

Also- didn't see any cats.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

thakns to you both for the info. These are the kind of comments I was looking for. We have rented on Kauai, in Haena, for many summers, but never at HBR. Our last night of each trip is always spent at the Bali Hai restaurant or the Happy Talk lounge, so we know all about the beauty of the place. I just needed confirmation about the common areas. So thanks again.

California
Level Contributor
35,813 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

Dear T'mom:

I am an owner and the previous posts are mostly true.

The roosters are all over Kauai. At HBR I would say they are worse near the 2000 building. I own in the Palms 4000 and it is not half as bad. One poster said there were no cats and that is absolutely not true. There are cats. They help keep the rooster population down. I was there December 10th and I'd say there are around 7 or 8 of them. Again near my building there aren't any but if you rent a first floor unit you will get them coming to your lanai door. Do not feed them. Don't feed the roosters either. The pool was recently redone in Sept. and it looks like a lagoon with a dark bottom. It is not heated, but who wants a heated pool in 80 degree weather? It is beautiful. There have been a few instances while I was there of non guests using the pool. It is usually family of employees and I don't like it but unless you go to the manager or the front desk and let him know they will stay. It has never been a huge issue. I do know one owner who did have trouble with a group of kids in the hot tub and they suspected they were locals. The assistant manager came down and told them to leave. It is a beautiful property and there is really nothing like it on the island. Just rent from a reputable owner who cares about their condo. If you do encounter any problems with the resort the GM is almost always on property. Always go to the top! Have a great trip.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

Dear Jebett, you are the person I was hoping to hear from. I have read your other posts about HBR and know that you are an owner who really loves the place, so I trust your comments. Thanks. We are looking at two first floor units, one in the Hala Building and another in one of the Plumeria bldgs. There is a possibility of a second floor unit in the same Plumeria bldg, should find out today. We have been to HBR many times, but only to the restaurant, and have loved the views. that is what is bringing us back this time.

I do have an unrelated question: the units I am looking at are offered not only by the owners directly (via VRBO) but also on a couple of rental agency websites. Is this typical? Should I be worried about this?

Thanks for your help.

California
Level Contributor
35,813 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

T'Mom:

The views will be better in Plumeria. Hala is centrally located closer to the large pool. Plumeria is closer to the small pool. Plumeria is very quiet and private. The only issue I have with first floor units is more "critters" come in. Many people prefer them. Also behind Plumeria is where the weddings take place. If you are going at a busy time you will have trucks and people behind your unit all the time. Just something to think about. One good thing about Plumieria is the roosters don't hang out there like they do on the lawn in front Hala. If you are in Hala first floor your might have your veiw blocked by this darn monkey pod that is growing like a weed in front of Plumeria. Many owners use VRBO and then pass on their bookings to Regency Pacific or Oceanfront. I do not do this. I book everything myself so it is me you are dealng with. Check and see if they add a fee on as well. You can actually see my unit on VRBO through alohacondos page. I do not advertise myself there but the owner of alohacondos does. Any other questions????

San Francisco
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

So your unit is in the Banana bldg? If so, it looks very nice. Can you please contact me about it?

California
Level Contributor
35,813 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

My unit is Palms building (4000 building). You can read what tripadvisor readers write about it in the review section. I do not like to solicit my information. I don't think people should do that. I want guests to make a thorough decision before renting a place be it my unit or others. I just want you TA readers to get the facts. Joan

10. Re: Hanlei Bay Resort: are the common areas as bad as posted?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 24, 2009