We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WE are back! :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
WE are back! :)

Hello and thanks to everyone who helped make our vacation great with helpfull advice, tips and pointers:) I picked up the ultimate kauai guidebook and was very pleased.

I was a little dissapointed that we didnt get to snorkel poipu since the day we went the weather was just as rainy as in princeville. We traveled west though and found the Sun at Salt Pond beach:) I was very surprised to find Ok snorkeling there all the way on the left end of the beach there was a small protected reef abundant with fish.

Overall the trip was WONDERFULL and lived up to all my expectation, but one...... Well maybe Ill discuss that another time or on another forum....We did a few tours THE one we LOVED was Kipu ranch andventures kipu falls tours. AWESOME!!

Well thanks again all:o) We will definately return next year and send a few friends and family members...... Maybe that will adjust some tourists to the fact that we (AFRICAN AMERICANS) enjoy paradise too and maybe just maybe then we wont get so many RUDE people who obviously left all manners and home training (if they were ever taught any) on the mainland .

Yeh I think that may help because I think some of them actually thought they discovered the Island and it was there own private retreat for their kind. Here I was thinking that we were all AMericans (American tourist were the only ones who couldnt stop gauking, pointing, and asking so many probing&inappropiate questions)

Oh well WE loved the Island and the natives though there were very few Native Hawaiians. Mostly imports from the mainland and abroad. We tried as much as we could to only buy from hawaiian owned and operated businesses. We got that information from the native Hawaiians who seemed to be happy to see more color visiting the Island... Its a shame the majority of the real deal Islanders dont even own property on their own paradise. Kind of reminscent of what happened to the Native Americans huh?

IF there be any other people of Color visiting this Island dont fret... If you have thick skin and the LOVE of GOD you will be

ok.

Na Pali Catamaran
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
Blue Dolphin Charters
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Kauai Sea Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: WE are back! :)

Oooohh, **ouch**. You are most definitely welcome on the island of Kauai, and I personally apologize for any insults or indiscretions you may have endured. Hopefully the residents, or kama'aina were friendly to you and your family. You must have spent most of your time in the "touristy" areas, because I can assure you, there are many native Hawaiians on the island!! You were close to a bunch when you were on the west side at Salt Pond!!

You are very correct when you point out the lack of affordable housing for residents. The island(s) depend on tourism to survive, but the tourists like the island so much, they buy a lot of the property. Prices have skyrocketed the last few years (like much if the US) to levels where residents can barely rent, much less own.

When you, your friends or family return to Kauai, let me know and this family will show you some sincere Aloha.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WE are back! :)

Ya, I remember going to Kualoa Ranch in Oahu and found out the entire thing is owned by one family. That should not happen, IMO.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: WE are back! :)

Thanks Kwills11 !! Maybe we will take you up on that offer:) Your absolutely right though about waimae canyon area and salt pond beach. We def. met more natives there :) Too bad we only spent one day there. Since our condo was in the LOVELY Princeville we had to deal with all the LOVELY tourist lol. We spent most of our time either north or east naturally. Next trip I think we will stay two wks instead of one . Maybe spend one on the north shore and one on the south. Check out the pictures I posted We had a BLAST!!! NO regrets here :)

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: WE are back! :)

Sorry to hear you had some bad experiences--we white folk were treated very nicely by most people we met on Kauai--found locals and other tourists to be quite friendly--the first tourists we met were African Americans from Chicago and we had a great chat with them, exchanging ideas about places to go, etc. I agree the area near Salt Ponds is actually a good snorkeling spot--we swam there the first day of our trip, and didn't have any snorkel gear yet--I opened my eyes underwater and saw all of these colored fish! We spent an hour or so holding our breath, "snorkeling" without the snorkel, and fish watching--then made sure to get gear as soon as we could. Sorry you missed out on the Poipu area--it's pretty great, but you have to save something to try for your next trip. Did you get to see the Canyon, or was it too rainy? Weren't the sugar cane fields interesting? And all of that green, green plant growth--bananas, coconut palms, huge plants just everywhere! We were pretty overwhelmed with the scenery! Thanks for posting back and letting us know about your trip--hopefully the bad memories will fade fast and just the good will remain.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: WE are back! :)

Fading....fading.......fading.... :) Hi oregon snorkelers!! Much Aloha to you!!! You gave great advice on bringing snorkel equipement and you left your own huh:) lol

Well my snorkel got a whole in it by the third day and I ended up using the hold your breath technique in between sharing my husbands snorkel. I was actually going to purchase another from a shop in hanalei, but the store owner did something to it and told me to try it again. It didnt work, but it was nice of him to try :)

Yes we definately have much to do when we return... We didnt HIKE to any waterfalls. We didnt swim or snorkel poipu so thats a must do and We have to try SCUBA next time.. :) We will actually probably try scuba over the summer when we visit the carribean.

Waime was GRAND and DRY! :) We did that the same day we did Saltpond. Lydgate beach park was great snorkeling, but heck you almost didnt need to stick your head under water ! :) The fish were in the shallowest parts it was crAZY AND THEY WERE huge !! I LOVED IT , but it took my husband a little longer to get in:o) lol fun fun fun

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: WE are back! :)

We went to Kauai on the first leg of our first trip to Hawaii, and had never snorkeled before, so we rented from Snorkel Bob's that time. We enjoyed it so much , and did so much of it on that trip and our next trip to Hawaii (Big Island only) that we had to buy gear. (We hope to go back to Kauai soon). I agree about the fish at Lydgate beach park--we were there on a cool, windy, cloudy day, and the locals probably thought we were crazy, but I enjoyed the big, big, big fish so much that I really didn't want to get out of the water! I agree with one of the previous posters about the reasons Americans are not so fondly thought of as tourists--we have seen a few that make us want to apologize for them--in fact, my husband did, on our last trip home from Hawaii--we got stalled in San Francisco because of fog for a few hours, and the flights to other spots east were all cancelled that night. Some guy in a suit yelled at the woman behind the ticket counter because of his flight being cancelled, so my husband walked over and apologized to her for him--maybe that's what the rest of us should start doing--just to be sure the people whose home countries and states we're visiting realize we dislike nasty tourists too!!!

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: WE are back! :)

You can also buy cheap snorkel stuff at Wal-Mart in Lihue for $10-20.00 - less than you would pay to rent for a week. Take it home with you, leave it where you were staying, or donate it to a Kauai kid's charity.

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
511 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: WE are back! :)

Thanks for posting about how your trip went Si'mone'! I also enjoyed your pics! Very Nice! I can't hardly wait until my turn to go in a few weeks!! Sorry to hear that you had some bad experiences with some folks there (tourists I am sure) but I am sure you agree that the island made up for it in beauty! I figured that I will get some flack for being a Hahole, but if that is all the bad...I can live with it :-). By the way, which company did you use for the NaPali trip? Nice seeing the whale in the pics....thrilling in person I imagine!

Aloha & Mahalo :-)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: WE are back! :)

Hi Need2go! Your right Kauai was a wonderfull experience in spite of.. Lots of great food, fun, beauty, and sun!

The cruise we took was Kauai sea tours and unfortunately we didnt tour the Napali because of the weather, but as you can see the South West coast was just as nice:)

The Whales were Awesome the pics dont tell the half.... They were waving and lifting their heads out of the water for a peek at us. Alot of Tale flaps and Mama whales with Baby whales mimmicking (sp?)

We couldnt snap fast enough and after a while we just stopped trying to capture the moment on film and soaked in all in. Wonderfull experience Do it Do it Do it now:) LOL

Oh and the cruise company gave out post cards and posters at the end of tour which I thought was cool. YOu know for all the people you didnt get gifts for:) OH and make sure you have space for gifts in your bags or bring extra luggage. We stopped at a local thrift store in Lihue to purchase another bag for all the things we bought !!! Well worth it though>

Vallejo, California
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: WE are back! :)

Do you think my children and I will encounter any of what you endured? (they are biracial). We are headed for Kauai this June. They are young (4 and 8) and have never had to deal with racism before (we live in a VERY diverse community). I have been assuming they would most likely pass as locals... do you think I need to prepare them and/or myself for unpleasant encounters with other visitors?

I am not the least bit worried about problems with locals because I have many friends from the Islands and never have I met more friendly or accepting people. Plus, I figure that my incredibly friendly children will probably have made local friends within the first few days...

And I LOVED your pictures! Went through them last night! I can't WAIT to be where you were!