We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

West Orange, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

Top 5 activities for a 5-day stay in Kauai? Go...

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,914 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

Helicopter tour. Helicopter tour. Helicopter tour.

Dinner at Hukilau Lanai or Beach House

Ke'e beach

Try Lappert's ice cream

Waimea Canyon.

(Did I mention you should do a helicopter tour? Expensive, but like nothing you've ever seen before.)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,227 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

Aloha! Though I haven't done this myself, for all the islands, Kauai is thee place to take a (1) helicopter ride.

2 - Northshore - drive and explore if you aren't staying there all the way to the end of the road

3 - Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park

4 - snorkel and swim at one of the many gorgeous beaches

5 - Kilauea Lighthouse and Bird Sanctuary

So much to do and see in Kauai, but my favorite thing is to do as little as possible - head to my favorite beach, snorkel to my hearts content, watch the sunset and go eat out. Have a wonderful time! :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

coorab,

Top 5 things to do on kauai...

Really depends a great deal on what YOU like to do, and the time of year that you are going to be visiting.

1. Napali Coast boat tour

2. Helicopter or fixed wing flight around the island

3. Hiking the trails of Kokee and/or Waimea Canyon

4. Snorkeling and getting some sun at our beaches

5. Kayak up one of the rivers for lunch at a waterfall.

The above, I would say are adventures to enjoy the special natural beauty of the island. The other less demanding fun, such as Luau's, Botanical Gardens, Dining out, shopping, etc., are kind of in a different category.

Again, it greatly depends on your personal situation. And just exactly what you feel comfortable doing, and things that YOU love to participate.

From reading some of the posts, some people mainly chose to spend their time at the various restuarants, others love to golf, others like the mild and easy, ie: fun tubing adventue, or taking a tour at a beautiful botanical garden.

Others want real adventures, with flying micro-lights or taking an eco challenge with Just Live, or zip lining,

As you can see, read up on the various tours, and activities and sites to see, and chose what really feels good to those bones of yours..

There will be plenty, no matter what you chose. It will all be good !

Denny

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

I only get 5??

Waimea Canyon and top of Na Pali coast

Na Pali cost cruise depending on season

Wailua River kayak on your own. assuming you can still do that

Beaches. Poipu, Anini, Kee are my favorites though Kee can be too crowded.

And rest of my family votes for helicopter tour. I din't do that.

West Orange, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

Thanks again everyone, and I welcome any additional thoughts/advice.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

Have to add the pizza place in Waimea don't recall the name but it's on the end of the steakhouse building on the main street. After driving and walking part of the canyon the helicopter tour is next for us you also get part of the Napali coast if you're not there in season for boat tours. The boat tour is great if you can do that because you not only see the coast but the sealife as well sea turles, spinner dolphins that if you whistle and yell will put on a little show.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

I Love to reminisce about Kauai!

Top 5 thngs I"m glad I did in Kauai:

#1. Helicopter Tour

#2. Snorkeling at Ke'e

#3. Kalalau Valley Lookout

#4. Driving the entire Island

#5. Camping on the beaches

#6. Kalalau Trail (First couple of kms)

#7. Polihale Beach

#8. Hike to the world's highest Swamp

#10. Jungle Hike

...oops was that more than 5?

Here are some things I wish I'd had time to do...and

will certainly do when I go back:

#1. Kayak down the river

#2. Heli-tour with no doors!

#3. Luau

#4. Guided snorkelling/diving tour

#5. Catamaran/sail along the Napali coast

#6. More of the Kalalau Trail

#7. Rent a condo

#8. Rent a convertible

#9. A guided Quading tour

--MIchelle

New York
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

#5. Camping on the beaches

Can I ask if this is really safe? I read in a previous post that there are vagrants living in these camping grounds... I want to be safe but love the idea of camping on these beaches...

Traverse City...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

Been to Kauai 5 times:

1) Helicopter tour; Interisland Bell Helicopter with no doors. One of the top experiences you can do anywhere on any island of Hawaii.

2) Explore Waimea canyon, continue to Kalalau Valley Overlook. Do at least a two mile hike to ocean's edge and cliffs.

3) Simply drive around the island from end to end. See 17 mile long (longest in Hawaii) Polihale beach to North Shore Ke'e Beach.

4) Have a romantic dinner at Hyatt or Beach House on South Shore or Princevill Resort or Hanalei Bay Resort on North Shore.

5) Spend time in Hanalei on North Shore and Koloa in Poipu Area for true Hawaiiana experience.

6) Snorkel/swim at Tunnels Beach and Poipu Beach. Voted one of top ten beaches in USA.

Aloha,

Detour

10. Re: Top 5 things to do/see in Kauai...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 22, 2009