We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aston Hanalei Bay Resort

UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aston Hanalei Bay Resort

Has anyone stayed at this resort?

It seems too good to be true for the price... It is cheaper than the Raddison, for example, but is in a prime location near a snorkelling beach.

Can anyone tell me what it was like please.

Seattle & Poipu
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aston Hanalei Bay Resort

STOP ! Before you reserve anything read the reviews on trip advisor. My review from my stay there in July 2003 is below. The people who got the nice condos got them through the individual owners and I am sure not through Aston. There is a big hill down to the beach so it is not as if you can just walk out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured that I would write out some things that might be interesting to those of you who are planning a trip to Kauai.

We went at the beginning of July and stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville. We were excited because we understood that this was the nicest resort in Princeville and for $171 per night on an Expedia special rate for a small garden view hotel room we figured it must be great. The resort is interesting. There are 15 or so buildings spread out among the pool and tennis courts. No cars are allowed on the property so you need to park and walk or get a ride in one of the golf carts that shuttle people around. That night we got in the bag boy took us to a ground floor room at the bottom of the hill and immediately when we got in could smell a mildew problem. Bag boy said he couldn't smell a thing but made sure to hang around for a handout. In any case we call front desk for new room but they say sorry, we're full maybe tomorrow night. Next day at 7am we wake up and there is a message about our new room. We go see it and at least it doesn't smell. We have daily maid service, but this consisted of making the bed, changing the towels and emptying the garbage. Little things like emptying ashtrays, changing the glassware, leaving extra soap when we ran out were just forgotten. And the room was not cared for at all. The drain in the bathtub was broken and there were weeds growing out of the rotting wood on the lanai.

This must have been a nice place one day in the past. The pool is huge and there is a great hot tub with a simulated hot spring. Unfortunely this was ruined for me while sitting in the hot tub some local teenagers with a puppy joined us. No problem until the puppy urinated right by the hot tub. None of them even blinked an eye.

Concierge service is very focused on achieving their goal and that goal is to get you on the timeshare presentation for the place. in the first 2 days we were called 3 times to remind us to "pick up our free gift".

Other little things like replying to my email about a fitness center took about a month.

The resort is run by Quintus which is part of Aston and is owned by Resort Quest. I'll be thinking really hard before I spend any more money with any of these companies.

One more thing. Most all of the people were very nice and friendly, but you would get that at the cruddyies motel on Kauai. I plan to go back to Kauai a lot, but not stay at the Hanalei Bay, but will stay at Poipu Sand in the Poipu Kai resort.

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------