We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
74 reviews
Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

We recently returned from a vacation in Kauai. My son is very allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. We were surprised at the small number of actual eating options on the north side of the island, but we ate well in those we visited. We notified all the restaurants of his allergy and all of them were very accommodating. We did not venture too far because of the hurricane. Here is where we ate:

*Hanalei Dolphin (had sushi and fish - ate there 2 nights) - no fried foods due to cross contamination with macadamia nuts in fryer. No dessert because of cc with nuts.

*Smiths Luau (we actually did not eat here due to the hurricane but I had spoken to them at length before our trip and they serve no nuts except coconut (which our son eats) and I think one dessert had macadamia

*CJ's Steakhouse -not our favorite restaurant (kind of like a lower end chain restaurant) but son had a large steak and liked it - all safe except fries

*Kalypso - no fried foods.

*Olympic Cafe - the best out of all of them. manager came out immediately and went over everything.

California
Level Contributor
41,640 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

Nice to know.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
320 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

The Oasis at Waipouli Beach Resort was very accommodating with my sister concerning her numerous allergies. The waiter even came back to double check with her about a certain food. It made for a relaxing meal knowing that they cared that much.

United States
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

I don't understand why airlines won't wake up to the fact that they don't lose money by switching from nuts to pretzels or the like,but they lose paying customers if they have terrible policies. Southwest offers free peanuts to every passenger, making it impossible to fly with them. when i questioned it they said their customers never complain. I would really appreciate if you can take two minutes to complain on their website or FB page and maybe wake them up...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
220 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

Thanks for the list and your feedback! It makes it so much easier for others. We'll be there next month and our daughter is allergic to most tree nuts. She's never been tested for macadamia nuts, but she avoids all tree nuts just to be safe. On past trips to Hawaii, before her diagnosis, we've never had issues - but now that we know, we do out best to avoid everything. The cross contamination is the toughest thing to be sure about.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
220 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

Thanks for the list and your feedback! It makes it so much easier for others. We'll be there next month and our daughter is allergic to most tree nuts. She's never been tested for macadamia nuts, but she avoids all tree nuts just to be safe. On past trips to Hawaii, before her diagnosis, we've never had issues - but now that we know, we do out best to avoid everything. The cross contamination is the toughest thing to be sure about.

Morris County, New...
Level Contributor
113 posts
74 reviews
6. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

You're welcome. We have to work together;). Have a great trip!

Durham, North...
1 post
7. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for Poipu beach area? I'm allergic to soy, peanuts, and tree nuts and will be there next month. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
41,640 posts
130 reviews
8. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

Check the top question about restaurants. I believe there was a discussion about this under restaurant suggestions. The biggest thing is you need alert the manager when you get there. Most places serve something with macadamia nuts.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
54,555 posts
1,819 reviews
9. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

For my wife's bi-valve allergy (no Scallops, Oysters, Clams or Mussels), we always contact each restaurant, to alert them of her problem. Each and every one has been most accommodating. She has even had several Chef's Tasting Menus heavily altered, just for her.

Good luck,

Hunt

10. Re: Food Allergy Friendly Restaurants in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 10, 2016