We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

california
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

I'm wanting to purchase airfare tickets to Kaui during early October, departing from LAX or John Wayne. I'm seeing fares for about $411 from LAX and over $600 from John Wayne.

Is there any chance that tickets from John Wayne might go down to the $400s anytime soon?

Mahalo in advance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

try priceline maybe

john wayne is just Aloha I think. from lax there is competition....

Join Aloha's FF program and sign up for the e-mail alerts. they put up specials off and on. Ditto Hawaiian.

$400 is pretty cheap. Best I've seen lately was $170 to mainland with $220 for return leg. But that's just from spam from those 2.

Also check the priceline bidding forums. might have some info.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

My experience tells me you will get the best fare out of LAX for your Kauai flight. Weekday flights are less than weekends.

I just did a theoretical trip from LAX to LIH for Oct. 17 to 24 on Hawaiian and came up with $422 ($211 each way) and I am pretty sure those are nonstop from LAX in the westward direction and perhaps one stop (HNL) on the return...meaning you will get a few more hours daylight and dipping your toes in paradise your first day. Oops, forgot to see if that includes taxes and fees, etc.

As well, I went to sidestep.com to compare rates between LAX, SNA (John Wayne Int'l) and ONT (Ontario). There is a $398.00 fare shown with multiple schedules on multiple airlines. When you click on any of those schedules you will be transferred over to orbitz.com. I don't know what kind of fee Orbitz might charge you as an agent of any one airline when they handle the purchase and delivery of tickets to you. I don't know how they lock you in for any change you may have to make in your schedule once you have confirmed flights with them.

Good luck...the $411. looks good to me.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

That $398. is from LAX...not SNA or ONT.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

Hawaiian doesn't fly non-stop to Kauai, so either way you would have to stop in Honolulu. Not a big deal, usually only an hour or so layover.

I just checked early October (3rd-11th) on Hawaiian Airlines and came up with a member price including taxes and everything of $443.30. Not a bad price at all. You might see something a bit lower in January and February.

October is a great month in the islands. If you can get $411, I'd jump on it.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

One of the things you need to keep in mind though....in many cases the cheapest flights require flying at the non-peak times. Sometimes you won't arrive in Hawaii until evening, and sometimes on your flight back you'll be doing a red-eye flight. I like to get the lowest airfare possible, but hate having to arrive at my destination just in time to go to bed...especially in Hawaii. I'm paying for the night, but only getting the benefit of sleeping there on the first night. I saw a flight for about $530 non-stop on United for the dates I was flying to Kauai, but it required a return flight leaving Lihue late in the day and arriving at LAX the next morning. When I tried for a better return flight, it was $100 higher! So, there are often trade-offs.

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

Jam, you're right on about the off-peak times. Most of the best prices will have you flying when you'd rather be on the beach.

The fare I found on Hawaiian leaves LAX at 8:35am and gets in to Lihue at 1:40pm. Return leaves Lihue at 10:55 am and arrives LAX at 9:05pm.

I do these same flights all the time and they work very well. Ok, the 8:35am is a bit early for my lazy keester, but I can manage for a good price.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

kwills, I booked the same flight leaving LAX at 8:35 am, but opted for the cheaper 6:30 am flight leaving Lihue on my return flight. I've only flown Hawaiian once before, back in the 80s when I did an interisland flight between Oahu and the Big Island. Anyway, I prefer arriving at my destination before 3:00 pm, and leaving before noon on my return trip home. For me it's not worth the savings if I arrive in Hawaii at 9:00 pm, just in time to go to bed. If I could waive the rate for one night I wouldn't mind, as to me...the daily price is only worth it if you can enjoy the DAY at your destination.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

kwils11 is absolutely right. Guess I am getting a bit pixilated since I retired. All I know I am flying west over a huge expanse of water into the sun, sometimes on Hawaiian and sometimes on United. Anyway it is not HA flying nonstop from LAX or SFO to Lihue, but it is UA for a morning flight.

9. Re: cheaper airfare to Kauai ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 17, 2009