We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

I noticed the Top Questions for favorite restaurants was slightly dated. Maybe we can start a new one?

124 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

Here are some of my faves Lihue and South.

In Poipu, for breakfast we like Joe's on the Green and Kalapaki Joe's. The Kukui'ula Store has freshly made breakfast and lunch bentos that are great.

Other casual meals in Poipu look at the Koloa Fish Market, take out only, but different plate lunches every day plus great bentos (lunch boxes), the poke bento is my favorite. Sueoka Store Snack Shop, also take out only, very inexpensive with lots of local specialties in addition to regular burgers, fries, etc.

Puka Dog in the Poipu Shopping Center is fun. The dogs themselves are nothing special, but the toppings make it worth a visit. Keoki's Paradise in the Poipu Shopping Center has good lunches in the bar and they have nightly specials and a great Happy Hour.

Savage Shrimp has moved into the Kukui'ula Shopping Center and it has great shrimp specialties. Bubba's Burgers, also in the Kukui'ula Shopping Center is fun and has decent burgers and I love their onion rings.

On the high end in Poipu, you have Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine, Merriman’s Kauai, The Beach House, Josselin’s, Plantation Garden, Tortilla Republic, Red Salt and Tidepools and Dondero's at the Grand Hyatt.

Our favorites are Roy's and Merriman's for the quality, The Beach House has the view, Plantation Garden has an old school feel like you are a plantation baron and Josselin’s and Tortilla Republic are the newcomers and quite welcome, good tapas and great Mexican upscale Mexican food. Red Salt is a great place too with a very chic, hip NYC or South Beach feel to it. Tidepools is also a very romantic spot, especially if you get one of the private tables.

In Lihue we love Hamura Saimin as an old, local stand by, Duke's at the Marriott for a great, laid back meal and incredible view. Tip Top Cafe and Dani's are great for breakfast.

The next three places I'll mention are Mark’s Place, Mama Lucy's Filipino Food and the Garden Island Barbecue. Mark’s Place is great for plate lunches and local food and especially their Pau Hana Specials ('end of day' or happy hour) to go. At Mama Lucy's we love their pancit, fried chicken, and great lechon. Garden Island Barbecue in Lihue is out favorite Chinese place on Kauai, we usually get it to go on the way back from the North heading back to Poipu.

Heading South from Koloa to Waimea you have Bobbiesfor great plate lunch and Da Imu Hut Café for plate lunch too.

Salt Pond Country Store in Kalaheo has a great breakfast and lunch bentos, freshly made in house.

In Waimea Ishihara Market is one of the best local delis on island and might have the best poke. Da Booze Shop is also a great plate lunch to go spot and Yumi's Restaurant for a really great breakfast or lunch in Waimea love their loco moco and chicken katsu.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
54,707 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

We've spent less time in the North in recent years, but here are the favorites I do have.

In the North we like The Makana Terrace and Kauai Grill at the St. Regis, The Tavern by Roy Yamaguchi in Princeville, Bar Acuda from the same people who have Living Foods in Kukui'ula Shopping Center, Mediterranean Gourmet, Postcards Cafe, Hanalei Gourmet and Tahiti Nui. Good Sushi can be found at the Hanalei Dolphin and for low key, Pat’s Taqueria and Hanalei Coffee Roasters.

One final note, while the St Regis is pretty expensive, I think the Makana Terrace has one of the great views in the world (see below) and it is worth the money for breakfast or lunch to experience.

stregisprinceville.com/images/interior_backg…

California
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

I have ribs simmering in a barbecue beer sauce, and then I sit down to read your post. Now my stomach is really growling : ) I can only think of two places I'd add to your list: Casa di Amici in Poipu--always good and a nice change of pace from some of the others and Monico's Taqueria in the Kinipopo Shopping Center in Kapa'a. It's been mentioned here that Monico's is for sale--maybe he wants to open a bigger restaurant. I love his fish tacos!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,376 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

Breakfast:

Yumi's in Waimea....try the coconut pie...it's shaped like a calzone and yes, it's for breakfast.

Grinds in ‘Ele‘le...the Farmers Skillet is wonderful and huge. They also bake their own bread...just toast is a treat! http://www.grindscafe.net/breakfast.html

Ono Family Restaurant in Kapa‘a...everything is good, but do try the fried rice, best I've ever eaten. They serve HOT coconut or maple syrup, so go for the Tropical pancakes. I love the spinach omelet...gee, I love everything they serve....

Village Snack & Bakery in Hanalei...local style breakfast is very good, they'll make Loco Moco with hashbrowns or rice and if you're there very early, Spam Musubi and fresh malasadas (one batch, then pau). Love the brownies too.

Snacks:

Stop by Salt Pond County Store, Lawai Menehune Mart, Shell Station store in Kilauea. They'll have crack seed, bentos or other hot food, bread pudding, pies, kulolo, manju, chi chi dango or mochi...

Best snack/dessert ever - Butter Mochi (not the same as mochi) from Wong's in Hanapepe...they have Lilikoi Chiffon Pie too, YUM!

Malasadas - either Village Snack or Kauai Malasadas (the green shack outside K-Mart). Must be HOT.

Lunch:

Olympic Cafe in Kapa‘a. Food is always good. Open air on the 2nd floor, sit by the rail and watch the island world go by.

TC's Island Grill at the Coconut Marketplace (BYOB). Love the fried Ono sandwich, get it with a wonderful salad with Papaya Seed Dressing (instead of french fries).

Anahola Farmers Market on weekends, Reggie does chicken or boar plates - yummy!

Mark's Place in Puhi. To-go local with a chef's flair. The daily special is usually the best bet.

I prefer to have breakfast and a snack a bit later, then go to Happy Hour instead of lunch. Kalypso in Hanalei, The Tavern in Princeville, Keoki's in Po‘ipu...are my favorites. I've heard good things about Lighthouse Bistro in Kilauea and Pizetta in Koloa for Happy Hour.

Dinner:

Hukilau Lanai...consistently good food, especially the fish! They also do a Tasting Menu (with or without wine) from 5:00-5:45 pm.

Kalypso in Hanalei usually has a special every night - I had Grilled Ono in a Lilikoi Sauce to die for. Tuesday nights are 1/2 off all bottles of wine.

Drinks - nothing can beat Tahiti Nui in Hanalei. Best Mai Tai on the island and they do a Lilikoi Margarita that's a killer (I LOVE anything lilikoi). Drinks are very reasonable at $8-$10.00. We like to share a pizza with friends while watching the nightly entertainment from 6:30-8:30

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

Glad to get these tips! Taking some notes for my upcoming Kauai visit!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

The Mediterranean Gourmet and Tortilla Republic.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Sorry "scottca075"........"and Da Imu Hut Café for plate lunch too."

Da Imu Hut has been closed for quite some time now in Hanapepe.....they are located at the Ele'ele Shopping Village.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 4:20 pm, June 14, 2014
Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
814 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

Bar Acuda in Hanalei for the splurge, Bouchon in Hanalei for Happy Hour (especially enjoy the "poppers") for lunch; Kilauea Fish Market for casual lunch outside, especially the ahi wraps. Hukilau tasting menu is really good if you like a variety of things on your plate like we do; Tiki Tacos in Kapa'a was an inexpensive but tasty surprise on our visit last month. Others here are much more current on the south shore but we do like Merriman's, Josselyn's and The Beach House ......and Da Crack if we're wet & sandy and just need some good food to go.

California
Level Contributor
37,645 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

Thanks for getting this updated Scott.

My numero uno is BarAcuda in Hanalei. Other North Shore favorites are Kauai Grill for a really extra special dinner ( I do like Makana Terrace for breakfast but not dinner), Mediterrenean Gourmet, Wake Up Cafe for breakfast (Mac roll = little bits of love), Hanalei Coffee Roasters and Le Petite Bakery for lattes and waffles, Tavern for happy hour and their fried chicken, Lighthouse Bistro (good cocktails too), Common Grounds for organic type food (I like breakfast there and eating outside), Kiluaua Fish Mkt for Korean BBQ, Pinkies for grilled cheese and date milk shakes, Puka Dog, the teriyaki burger at Hanalei Grindz, breakfast at Nanea at Westin and hopefully soon puu puus and pizza at Happy Talk!!!

South Shore I love Beach House, Josselins, Merrimans downstairs, Tortilla Republic, Uncles Shave Snow and Tidepools (were I will be soon with my buddy 22K)

Eastside? Oasis, Hukilau Lanai, Monicos, Kauai Pasta, Haumura Saimin, Ono Family Cafe, Olympic Cafe, Tip Top for breakfast, and lets not forget the 100 food trucks....

Did you really think I was going to omit that tidbit???????

Edited: 4:26 pm, June 14, 2014
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

As far as cheap, "local" favorites....I'll chime in with some as well:

Tip Top Café - Lihu'e.....been there forever and great breakfasts!

Dani's - Lihu'e - again, not fancy or anything, but great local inexpensive food....Breakfast and lunch.

The already mentioned "Da Crack", which is about the only place (except for Sueoka Snack Shop) here in the Po'ipu area that is inexpensive and will give you a lot of food for little money!

Wailua Marina Restaurant - right on the river and an old favorite. Not fancy, but good food for good prices.

As for bentos? My favorites are from Salt Pond Country Store (breakfast bentos are great!).....and Ishihara Market in Waimea....right next to the deli counter.

We don't eat out hardly at all, but these places are ones that we go to all the time (well except for Wailua Marina Restaurant - too far!) and can afford regularly.

Lots of places here, both high end in the visitor destination areas, and more "local" and inexpensive that are more prominent on the West Side and Lihu'e.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Reply to: Favorite Kauai Restaurants?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted