We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is AC necessary in August?

dbarkell@hotmail.com
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is AC necessary in August?

I'm planning a last minute trip to the north shore of Kaui. I'm looking for a one bedroom condo so my husband and I can have a little privacy from our 11 year old son. (as opposed to two side by side beds) It seems that none of the condos have air conditioning. Are ceiling fans and trade winds really enough for high 80's. I can't very well tell my hubby-- "not now it's too hot".

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,651 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is AC necessary in August?

All I can say is, we have never once in all our visits to the islands turned on an A/C unit.

I suppose it depends on the direction your condo windows or doorwall are facing.

I am a little confused, you are looking for privacy in a one bedroom condo? Am I to assume you are leaving the 11 year old at home or planning on him sleeping in the rental car?

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is AC necessary in August?

You probably won't need AC on the northshore -- should be very pleasant. There are a number of condos to choose from, we always try to get something with good cross ventilation facing north or east.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is AC necessary in August?

Now I have to offer an alternative opinion. First of all the need for airconditioning varies by the individual. In contrast to the others, I have NEVER been to Hawaii and NOT used the AC. Maybe some of that is because I only visit Hawaii in the winter when I have just left 20 degree below zero temps in Minnesota, and 80 degrees is pretty hot to me. I have never been to Hawaii in summer, but I understand it is usually in the upper 80's with dew points approaching 70. Now for us in Minnesota, when the temp passes 80 and the dew point passes 60, then we turn on the air. I just checked and noted that on Kauai now the dew point is 67 with a temp of 83 at 9 AM. Currently in Minneapolis we have the same dew point of 67 and the temp is in the upper 80's . Everyone here is complaining about how terribly hot it is.

You don't say where you are from, so that might make a big difference on you comfort level. So compare the above numbers with what you are used to, and that will help you make a difference. In my opinion, hot, sticky air, even if it is being blown around by a fan or tradewinds, needs AC.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,722 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is AC necessary in August?

I have been to Kauai four times in August. I could not live without a/c in the bedroom. We live in LA, and do not have a/c here, so the heat and humidity of Hawaii really gets to us. I understand in other months, you do not need it, and a fan will do.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is AC necessary in August?

Just a thought, I avoid visiting in August as the condo (east side oceanview) I have been invited to share at any time does not have A/C. As well, I stayed in a home on the North Shore (1/8 mi away from the water) for a month one September and really needed the room A/C to sleep comfortably. Ceiling fans help but you range from hot and sweaty to chilled and clammy. Try to find accommodations with A/C to be sure or somewhere you can run around bare (oops, the 11 year old) load up on fluids and sit on terry towels...just in case.

6. Re: Is AC necessary in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 am, August 16, 2009