We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Cocaracha Car

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
461 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
La Cocaracha Car

I have talked up Island Cars before and we are using them again this time for 9 weeks Got an SUV that had holes near the roof rack (OK.... got a roll of duct tape at Walmart and patched it up island style to keep the rain out). Also found out it had a major cockroach infestation. (Trip to Long's Drug for HoyHoy roach traps. I don't know what is used for bait in these things, but those bugs couldn't get into them fast enough.) Making sure ALL bags brought into the unit are searched thoroughly before entering!!

Happy with vehicle now. It starts great, has new tires, is mostly bug free and the AC and radio work fine.

Took a trip to the west side of island today. Stopped at Waimea Plantation Cottages for a picnic near the beach. We were going to have cocktails at the new Kalapaki Joe's there, but they are only open in the evenings now (6:00-8:00pm) for "soft opening". Will return after February 1 when they have their grand opening.

Lots of whale sightings here near Kauai Beach Villas where we are staying for a few more weeks before moving to Coconut Coast.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Plantation Cottages
Waimea Plantation...
863 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalapaki Joe's Poipu
Kalapaki Joe's Poipu
784 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai Beach Villas
Kauai Beach Villas
532 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Cocaracha Car

Aloha from Kaua'i!

HoyHoy Roach traps are definitely the preferred brand here - when we have "issues" - those things take care of it ASAP!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Cocaracha Car

tirxi.....looks like we are having a bumper crop of whale sightings.....goood stuff.

Neat that you stopped at Waimea Plantation Cottages, for us it is south pacific kick back. We really like it.

Your are having a marvelous vacation, please keep us posted and share your fun time with us.

Kalapaki Joes.....i was talking with one of the staff at the lihue kalapaki joes, and they also thought that the Wiamea Kalapaki Joes would be opening in Feb. In the mean time, when up in that area, we have been stopping at the Kauai Brewery during lunch time.

Mahalo

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Plantation Cottages
Waimea Plantation...
863 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalapaki Joe's Poipu
Kalapaki Joe's Poipu
784 Reviews
Kauai, HI
The Kauai Inn
The Kauai Inn
395 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: La Cocaracha Car

Funny story: a while back we were having car trouble and needed a car quickly. After pouring over craigslist, we ended up buying one of the beaters from Island Cars as a temporary replacement. It's been abused by cheap renters, but it runs (most of the time), doesn't leak (yet), and doesn't have roaches. It is stick shift so they "said" it was just sitting on the lot more often than not.

If anyone has fond memories of their adventures in the blue car from Island Cars (renamed "Sparky" now), let me know.

new york
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Cocaracha Car

A couple of summers ago I was staying on island for a month and a rental car was approx $1100 . My girlfriend who lives there offered me her Nissan Altima . I graciously excepted . When we got there she said there are a couple of issues but nothing major . the drivers window doesnt go down , the horn doesnt work and two handles on the doors have snapped off so you will have to opened the door from the inside out . Never mentioned roaches .. i thought to my self oh god if any window thats not going to work why does it have to be the drivers . thats really going to annoy me . And no horn .. im from NY i need a horn . but i really try to refrain from hoNking as im told its really disrepectful to honk and i may cause road rage . in NY especially in manhatten we honk like crszy . anyway all is good and a week later after my husband has left to go home . I opened the trunk early in the AM and there is a water bug aka a B52. That's what we call them in NY .except in NY they don't fly . I call my husband screaming . He tells me to lift up the floor board and dump boiling water . I'm not doing that I said . I ran to the front to get a bell man and he walks to my car and by that time it's gone . He recommends those hui hui traps . So off to Walmart I go . Well they flocked like crazy to them . I thought there was one bug and there was clearly an infestation . I have him $20 to take out the traps and I thought problem solved . The next day after dinner at a friends near Puhi I went to Kneal in the backseat to put my infant in his seat and there was a water if on the seat . My older daughter starts screaming call a taxi . Taxi ?? There are no taxis I said . Thank god it crawled out and I practically drive home Indian style . That was it ! I parked the car and went to rent one for the remainder of the trip which was only a week . But it cost me $90 a day ! I had her car vacuumed and cleaned and nicely mentioned the incident and she says " oh that's just a bug " . What !! Just a bug . Not where I come from . must be an island thing . Careful not to eat in your cars or those buggahs will get in and nest . From that point forward we made it a rule - no eating in the car while we are there .

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: La Cocaracha Car

I'm so glad to read this!! My only trip to Hawaii was Maui about 8 years ago. We rented from one of the big names and got in pretty late, it was dark. When we opened the door to get in the car the lights went on and I saw hundreds of roaches scramble for under the seats and dash. I freaked out then and for the rest of the trip, every time we had to get in that bug infested car. Everyone else made fun of me and said it's just the way it is there and to stop screaming like a little girl every time I got in the car.

My first stop will to buy some of those roach traps....just in case!!!

Kris

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
new york
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Cocaracha Car

Kris . If you rent a car and there are roaches they have to exchange the car . No way would I pay $ to rent a bug infested vehicle

California
Level Contributor
39,765 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Cocaracha Car

Totally agree with suki. If I had to go buy a can of roach spray for my rental and DUCT TAPE to keep rain out, I would know for sure there are MORE issues and I wouldn't set foot in that car no matter how much I save. Disgusting company!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,328 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Cocaracha Car

I guess I would have brought the car back and asked them to deal with the bugs and holes. We have neighbors who have done long term rentals from Island with very few problems. The plus with Island is you don't look like a visitor in their cars. LOL

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: La Cocaracha Car

Suki...That's what I thought but everyone else said that if you are in Hawaii you just deal with the roaches. I refused to put my feet on the floor the whole time I was in that car! I will be smarter this time and demand a different one if I see a bug.

Kris

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
new york
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Cocaracha Car

kris .. In fact they should upgrade you if you have roaches . If they are a reputable company they will do right by you . Unless they want a bad review saying they have roach infested cars