We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split time in Kauai?

Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Split time in Kauai?

We're going to be in Kauai for a week in December, we're staying at a timeshare in Princeville. I was wondering if people suggested getting a hotel room for a night in Waimea area to see stuff on that side of the island or if it isn't a very long drive.

Rochester,NY
Level Contributor
357 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Split time in Kauai?

Hi mana'olana. Love your screen name. There isn't a route that goes all the way around the island, so you'll have to drive south, then north again to reach the Waimea area. It will probably take you a couple of hours to get there (barring heavy traffic). Depending on how much of that side of the island you want to see, It's doable as a day trip, but you'll have to get an early start. Hope this helps.

ohio
Level Contributor
139 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split time in Kauai?

Well, this is what we're doing, I don't know if it's a good idea or not. We're staying in Kapaa for the first half of our trip and Princeville for the second half. It's just 2 of us, so packing up and moving won't be a big hassle for us. I want to enjoy the beauty of the north shore, but don't want to spend too much time (and gas money ;-) travelling to other parts of the island.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split time in Kauai?

Mana,

It is a bit of a drive from the NORTH SHORE, to Kokee, and Waimea Canyon.......

Just wondering on how many of the trails that you plan to hike up there in the Kokee and Waimea Canyon Area.

Also, the weather might be another factor, in that the west and south sides of the island should be somewhat less rainy that the north shore at that time of year.

But, probably not worth all the hassel of moving out for just one day unless you intend on really exploring.

For 12 years, we stayed in POIPU, and would just look for a great, sunny day up on the north shore, and head up there. Then drive back down. That is about an hour and 15 minutes...but most of the dirve is so magnificent that we didnt notice the time. In fact, my watch went into the dresser drawer, and stayed there until it was time to fly home.

Now, we still do the same, living here in PUHI....we look at the weather, and decide on hiking kokee, or maybe heading up north, or sometimes, like today, just drive the 18 minutes to poipu beach park for a picnic, and hike along the heritage trail.

However, if you did want to stay on the west side...might think about early reservations.

A really very impressive place to stay, the only one that really knocked my socks off , was the Waimea Plantation Cottages.

Sits on the ocean, with a real south pacific flair. Beautiful.

Peaceful, and quiet, with individual cottages that were once used by the managers of the plantations. Tall coco palms and banyon trees

add to the mellow scenery.

Perfect island life, plus the Waimea Brewery and restuarant is right there on the property.

Denny

Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Split time in Kauai?

We're not going to do any intense hikes, we have a 2 yr old. We'll be hiking but not too far. We have a backpack that she sits in while we hike and 4 miles is about as far as she'll stand right now.

Thanks for all the advise, I think we'll get a room in the Waimea area and plan to stay 2 days there.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
390 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Split time in Kauai?

Aloha ... the last time we were in Kauai, we split our time between Poipu and Hanalei. We decided to splurge and "live the high life" in a nice room at the Hyatt for two nights, and then we spent seven nights in a funky cottage across from the beach in Hanalei. It was in May, when the ocean is calm enough on the North Shore to be able to do lots of snorkeling at Ke'e and Tunnels, plus not-too-muddy hiking along the Napali coast, so we knew wanted to spend the bulk of our time in Hanalei.

We felt that two days in Poipu was enough for us to do Waimea Canyon plus visit the National Botanical Garden (really cool), plus be able to take advantage of the really nice grounds and pools at the Hyatt. The Hyatt also has a good set-up for kids, even young ones like yours.

No matter what you do, you can't go wrong ... you're in Hawaii!

Mahalo!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Split time in Kauai?

It is a long trip from Princeville to Waimea.

Waimea Canyon and top of Na Pali coast well worth a visit. maybe wirth a night somewhere on south side, Poipu maybe.

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Split time in Kauai?

We just did this - spent one night in Poipu and 4 in Princeville. It was so much easier to go to the Canyon from down south than drive all the way there and then all the way back north again.

Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Split time in Kauai?

What hotel did you stay in? I checked out the Hyatt and it looks really nice, but we'll have to get a room for my dad and it will cost too much to for us topay for 2 rooms there.

Reisterstown MD
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Split time in Kauai?

We stayed at the Sheraton- our room was $230/night with breakfast. THe beach at the Sheraton is gorgeous.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Split time in Kauai?

Waimea is a cute little town, but has limited ocean front accomodations. It's been several years, but we thoroughly enjoyed Waimea by the Sea; kauaioceancondo.com.