We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

Once I have my pictures organized from the camera, smart phone and iPad I will try to provide a link to pictures and/or a blog. Warning, I am long winded as I do not want to forget one moment of this fabulous vacation.

The skies over the mountains are clear as can be this morning. The moon is still present. Beautiful and serene, no words can adequately describe this morning or what the day holds for us.

I found a tiny yellow orchid limb on the ground late yesterday afternoon. It was perfect, so it must have fallen shortly before I found it. I swear I did not pick it, but it needed to be rescued, so I gave it extended life in a vase back at the condo. This morning as I look at the perfect sky and this blossom while sipping coffee on the lanai, I can tell it will be a sunshiny yellow kind of day.

We hung out at the resort all day. Once we were able to tear ourselves away from the lanai, we spent a few hours at the beach with our traveling comrades. Everyone went swimming a couple times between sitting, ocean staring, picnicing and walking on the beach. At one point Mike and I ventured over to the rocky beach area in front of St. Regis and noticed all sorts of black crabs scatter when they saw us coming. They blend in with the black lava boulders very well. Elusive little buggers, but I was able to capture a picture of one before he disappeared. The waves were pretty high all day so surfers and paddle boarders had a jolly time. Fun to watch, wish I were younger. In fact, during our stay, we watched die hard surfers start every morning in hanalei bay before 6:30am! That's dedication.

By the time we decided to head back to our condos from the beach, it felt like late afternoon, but it was only 2:00pm. We decided not to wait for the golf cart because of check-ins and others before the driver could get to us at the beach. That is one tiring trek up the path with all the stuff we brought with us, chairs, coolers, fins, towels etc... But we really didn't mind much. Huff, puff, this is paradise, we have time. Luckily, nobody had heart failure on the way back, and all is well with the world.

After some rest time and showers, we all reconvened for snacks, rum drinks or beer on our lanai in the Bamboo building. I cut up a pineapple, tangelo, lilikoi and mango to savor and taste. Lista brought chips and Sal's salsa from the Saturday farmers market. When we had our fill I tossed all the remaining fruit in a blender and gave it a whirl with crushed ice. I added some coconut rum, poured over more ice and we had a winner drink! I was told that in my absence while pouring the last of this concoction into another glass, my friends named it "the leftover". How creative is that? It was a lovely tasting beverage nonetheless. Now, if we go to farmers market on Tuesday, we will get some more fruit, and try some other fruit blends served on the lanai with coconut rum of course. Maybe we will do that on Wednesday. That is, if there is time, because as you can tell we have been soooo busy acclimating to island time.

We sent the boys to the Chevron gas station to pick up delicious burgers while the ladies enjoyed the remainder of the sunset. (No, they were not intoxicated. There just wasn't that much fruit leftover!!) The Chevron in Princeville Center is no ordinary gas station. When you go inside to pay for gas you can order a grilled burger or pizza. Only in paradise can you order a fabulous burger at the same place you buy petrol! We all got various versions of burgers and they were all very delicious. However, the burger I had at Kalypso's in Hanalei the night before was better in my opinion. We dubbed this night's cuisine as "burgers in paradise". Another original, creative thought.

We ate on the lanai, and talked story for another hour or two. The other two couples were very good friends of ours, but they did not know each other that well. We learned that Pat worked at the same Ground Round in West St Paul that Dean and Lista worked at back in 1980-81. Small world. We determined that some how our paths with Pat had crossed way back then. But boy, remembering that for back was a challenge. What a fun night and equally fun day in the most wonderful place on earth! Can it get any better?

We said our goodnights before 9:00 and all plan to venture off to the tune of different drummers tomorrow. We might see our follow travelers at the 4:00 HBR Mai Tai Monday party.

Mike and I will start our 3rd day at the heliport where we will take off at 10:00 for a 1 hour helicopter tour around the island. I think we will experience some majestic moments on the ride. Very excited!

I must admit I did pick a single ginger blossom today, on the way back from the beach. This would be my next favorite fragrance in the whole world behind the sweet gentle aroma of plumeria.

This was a great day. Maloha for reading my story about a glorious day in paradise.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

Sounds like a wonderful, perfect first full day on the island. I remember that Ground round! I'm a bit younger though since I was in grade school when your friends were working there! Thanks for sharing!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,249 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

Lovely, lovely reporting - enjoying the way you are spending your time, island style. :)

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

Thanks for continuing with your report. I love those relaxing vacation days!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,163 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

Sounds like a perfect day! You can't go wrong with coconut rum.

I was disappointed with the burgers from North Shore Grindz (Princeville Chevron) too, compared to years past. The meat was dry and flavorless. Sad since their burgers used to be killer.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
37,261 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

<<The Chevron in Princeville Center is no ordinary gas station. When you go inside to pay for gas you can order a grilled burger or pizza.>>

Don't you think their motto should be...

"Eat here, get gas"?

And their burgers are not dry and flavorless.... order the bbq or teriyaki. I am getting one tomorrow.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

Jebett - perfect motto for Chevron Princeville!

California
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

"The meat was dry and flavorless." My thoughts, exactly, 3 chi's; however, I got a regular hamburger --my husband got the teriyaki and thought it was great.

Thanks for sharing, LHolm!

Edited: 9:14 am, October 31, 2013
California
Level Contributor
37,261 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

Maybe one might think the meat was dry because its fresh grass fed local beef. There is not as much fat.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

We always get the Braddah's BBQ - you can hardly taste the beef through the BBQ sauce, bacon, onion rings, etc. Something was juicy, though - it was running down my hands!

LHolm - I've resisted reading your posts and I'm already depressed we're not there anymore, but you paint such a lovely picture I'll have to catch up. Thanks for posting!

Edited: 11:36 am, November 01, 2013
10. Re: Day 2 - It's a clear morning on the north shore Oct.20

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 03, 2014