We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HA flight from Lihue and luggage

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
HA flight from Lihue and luggage

We just got home last night. We flew from Lihue to HNL on Hawaiian, then HNL to Portland on Alaska.

I had thought a thread on TA said HA would not check luggage on through if on another airline. So I thought I would have to check to HNL on HA, pick up luggage and take it to Alaska to check it in again. which meant another pass through security. so I thought

Guess I heard wrong. They checked our bag right through to Portland from Lihue. I did have to pay for two checkins. And I had that boarding pass to show I had paid for luggage on Alaska.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

I think that it is at the discretion of the reservations clerk. We just came home from a Maui stay and had different reservation codes got our OGG-HNL and HNL-ANC flights. I was dreading the possibility of having to recheck the three bags. The OGG clerk asked if HNL was our final destination, I said no and if it was possible for her to check us through, we would be so appreciative. She did stuff on her computer for a minute, asked for our itinerary and very nicely sent the bags all the way home. I thanked her very, very much and she said no problem. I also vowed on that trip to learn to travel lighter no matter what. Lol......Deb

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

That is how it worked the last few times I flew - from the Big Island as well as Kauai. :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,354 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

You didn't hear wrong. HA implemented this policy June 1, 2012, however like Deb said...it seems to be at the discretion of the HA reps. You just got lucky ;)

under Other Airlines

…hawaiianairlines.com/app/…1922

3Chihuahuas

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

Let's see - the check in agent I had said they had a agreement with Alaska Air as partners, so - off went my luggage. However, I think once I did have to pay for it - on Alaska, my first 2 bags are free. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

No harm in asking. Just don't assume that you can do this whenever...

California
Level Contributor
37,626 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

I think if the ticket is ticketed all together, then Alaska uses HA as a code share and they can transfer the bag. If you make 2 reservations (one for mainland to HNL and then the other from HNL to LIH) then they don't transfer the luggage. That is what I was told and the way I understand it.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

The key is whether you are on the same reservation code or not. If not, they do not have to check your bags through. I absolutely did not assume she would do it, just nicely asked if it was possible and that I would appreciate it very much. Often people have the discretion to stick to the rules or to bend them. I was fully prepared to collect those bags and recheck them and quite thrilled to be spared the hassle. She knew I was happy cause I made sure to thank her very much. Deb

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

Yes, I thanked her very much. And she seemed pleased to help us.

I Asked her if it was possible to check our luggage, one bag, on to Portland. She wanted to see our Alaska boarding pass, which she used to make it happen. My receipt listed LIH/HNL/PDX. I had paid $17 to check from LIH to HNL on HA, Then $20 to check from HNL to PDX on Alaska.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

Then yours, Phirl, was all on one ticket number and confirmation code, booked as one itinerary. My understanding is the same as Jebett's. If it's all booked at one time, via one airline, and is on one ticket number then they have no choice. The two airlines on that itinerary are sharing in the proceeds. They'll charge the fee but really have no choice. They're responsible for getting tagging your luggage through to the final destination as shown on your ticket number under codeshare agreements.

The flip side is when you book your mainland and inter-island flights seperately, Two different confirmation codes and ticket numbers (some airlines call them record locator numbers).

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
118 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HA flight from Lihue and luggage

We flew home last week from Kauai through HNL. We had one reservation with HA for LIH-HNL and a completely separate reservation on United from HNL-ORD and ORD-IND. I assumed we would have to get our bags in HNL and take them to United to recheck them. But when we arrived at the LIH check-in counter, the HA lady offered to check our bags all the way through. We had two separate itineraries since our family was flying to Indy and my FIL was flying home to Detroit. She said no problem, she would pull up each itinerary and get it taken care of. We were skeptical, but our luggage arrived in Indy no problem. I guess the HA people in Lihue must be extra nice. We certainly appreciated HA! I'm sure United would never go to the trouble.

Oh and DH was worried that United would charge us for the bags (he has Premier status and bags are free) but the HA lady said you only pay for baggage with the initial airline. When he asked at the HNL airport they told us the same thing, that since we paid for the bags with HA in LIH, we wouldn't be charged anyway by United. Doesn't sound like others had that experience, but it's what we were told.

Edited: 9:25 am, October 30, 2013