We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking/Waterfall trips for kids?

CA
Level Contributor
48 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking/Waterfall trips for kids?

We're a family of four heading to Kauai in September (YAY!!) Kiddos age 5 and 7. We'd love to do a kayaking trip and a hike or horseback ride or kayak to a waterfall. Does anyone have any favorite companies or favorite accessible waterfalls? We're staying North shore for our two weeks, but are more than happy to travel about for the excursion.

Thank you so much to all who contribute here. We're still about two months out, and I can't tell you how much fun I'm having reading through and planning!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking/Waterfall trips for kids?

You might find what you need if you stick "waterfall" into the search box. Ditto horseback rides or "kayak to waterfall".

tons of older threads on these subjects that might have more information in them than may come back to you with a new thread with multiple questions.

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

For horses, Silvers Falls ranch looks very nice but no direct experience. Others say good things about the Princeville Ranch operation.

Kayaking to a waterfall -- check out the Wailua River offerings.

Edited: 9:28 pm, July 01, 2013
Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking/Waterfall trips for kids?

We kayaked in Kauai'i and it was HARD! I don't think I'd do it again. My husband who is strong had a hard time and I am weak and chronically ill. I ended up having to help and felt like crap. We used a kayaking company directly next to Tahiti Nui. They were nice but the snorkeling was crap that they took us to, no snacks, just a trip up and down a river and into the ocean which was scary!! Not my thing. Sounds a lot cooler than it is.

As for horseback--I've ridden from 6-20 years old, owned horses and love riding..BUT the riding in Kauai scared me. It's down major cliffs and doesn't seem safe so we decided against it. I've jumped 5 foot jumps with horses and riding doesn't scare me.

Yeah--I sound overly cautious but Hawaii has some serious cliff drop offs and I know first hand how spooky horses can be. Even ones who do it EVERY day!

Janesville...
Level Contributor
191 posts
399 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking/Waterfall trips for kids?

My wife and I used Silver Falls Ranch in February 2011. The ranch is low key, beautiful horses and easy riding. Unless it's changed, there was no big Dallas style ranch house and we loved that low key atmosphere. Good customer service during ride, check in was cold and easily forgettable. The animals on the ranch were well loved, and backdrop was beautiful. I would recommend as a one time experience, and for the little ones an easy, relaxed ride.

We didn't kayak but SUP with Outfitters Kauai. I believe they offer kayaking, and this was much more enjoyable vs. Silver Falls. Great customer service, and we will repeat on our return visit in February. GL planning and have fun!

4. Re: Kayaking/Waterfall trips for kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 03, 2014