We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

Santa Clarita...
6 posts
Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

We're headed to Kauai in early July (my second time there, her first), and I'm wondering what restaurant the people in this forum would recommend that has pretty good food and a nice view of the sunset. Ideally I'd like to be able to see the sun sink into the ocean, which limits the options to the south and west shores, but I'd be somewhat open to hearing other strong suggestions as well on other parts of the island. Not looking for a drinking/entertainment restaurant per se, and the food doesn't have to be super fancy, just a nice place with pretty good food, nice ambiance, and a great view, preferably with at least some outdoor dining. As far as the type of food goes, neither of us are into fish and we both have pretty simple tastes in food. I do love lobster, crab legs and shrimp, but she doesn't like any seafood. If it's relevant, I also loved the Kalua pork I had the last time I was in Kauai and I'm sure she'd like it as well. She definitely isn't adventurous when it comes to trying new foods though.

California
Level Contributor
10,254 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

The Beach House is one of the most popular restaurants for good food and great sunset views.

http://www.the-beach-house.com/

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

In July the sun sinks into the ocean from the north shore ( not sure if you get that view from the south then). Both the restaurants at the St.Regis have awesome views of it and good food, but they are expensive. I'd get take-out or do a picnic basket down at tunnels and watch the surfers as the sun goes down....it's what I will be doing this July!

California
Level Contributor
41,631 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

I will be enjoying that sunset from Kauai Grill in a few weeks. Its a very expensive restaurant at The St Regis Hotel on the North Shore but you pay for the view. They also have a restaurant called Makana Terrace which is lovely. I often have a drink on the terrace to watch the sunset and then go into Hanalei for dinner. Another option to consider. Beach House is very nice but the sun doesn't really set from the south this time of the year. There is nothing like watching it go down behind Bali Hai!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

The sun went straight into the ocean last night at KG and will still be doing it in July. You'll have to wait a few weeks to see it set behind Mt. Makana (Bali Hai). Stunning, but a bit glaring actually. Spouse had to wear shades in doors it was so bright.

Overall, Makana Terrace would be my choice for dinner because you get to be outdoors in the breeze.

Santa Clarita...
6 posts
5. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

Really appreciate all of the great suggestions everyone has offered! I'll do a little research online of the various restaurants suggested here and try to make a decision. If anybody else comes along and wants to chime in with their opinion in the next few days, I welcome the input.

Too bad the Bali Hai restaurant burned down a couple years ago, it had amazing open air views of Hanalei Bay, especially in the evening. On my first trip to Kauai I stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort (just as they were starting to convert to condos/timeshares) and really enjoyed eating at that restaurant and hanging out at the outdoor bar.

Thanks!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,858 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

You cannot see the sunset over the ocean in Poipu in July. It sets over Kalaheo (we're staying at Nihi Kai on the east side of Poipu). I have not been to The Kauai Grill at the St. Regis but it does get good reviews on the forum.

Santa Clarita...
6 posts
7. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

Thanks for the input

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,972 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

The Beach House in Poipu, may not have a direct sun setting into the ocean, but you get a wide expanse of color across the water. It's gorgeous.

Look thru the photos on the TA Beach House site for sunsets:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60625-d44…

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
9. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

Sunset was its furthest north last week on the solstice. I watched it from blackpot side of Hanalei. I'd think Mediterranean Gourmet towards Haena would be a good choice.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: Where to eat dinner and watch the sunset?

Roy's Grill at the Princeville Golf Course is a marvelous place to say goodbye to the sun.