We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Brampton
Level Contributor
102 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Has anyone stayed at the Kiahuna Plantation Resort in Kauai ? If so , how did you like it and do you have any advice or suggestions to give us? We are staying there for two weeks in January.

Also , is it necessary to rent our car ahead of time or can we do it once we get to Kauai. We have been told that it is a small island and there are not a lot of rental cars available .

Thanks in advance

Lesley

California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

We've stayed there every year for the last 10 years and love it! Enjoy! Rent your car now.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

We stayed many years, also. Kiahuna is a wonderful property. Are you looking to book from an owner or through Outrigger?

California
Level Contributor
39,739 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

If you plug in Kiahuna Plantation in the search box above, you will find many threads about this popular beachfront resort.

Go to VRBO and check out availability by owners. Come back to the forum and then ask the KP experts on the particular unit. Some are nicer than others and in a better location. To me the downside is the pool and tennis courts across the busy main road.

Also read the many, many positive reviews. That might give you an idea of where to book.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

We stayed in one of the ocean view condos at KP last year and loved it. As others have suggested, book with an individual owner so you know exactly which unit you ate getting as the units vary greatly.

And get a car reserved ASAP and then keep looking for better deals as you trip approaches.

Lena, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

We stayed at this property last year and enjoyed it. The condo we had was an ocean view by the lagoon. The grounds are beautiful and the beach in front of the property was nice as well. This resort did not charge a resort fee or a parking fee, which was nice. As others have said, the only down side is that if you want to use their pool, it is behind the property,across a fairly busy road.

Oakland
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

We love Kiahuna and took our children every year as they were growing up (only year we missed was the year after Iniki). I've been back since they've grown and still love it. I'm taking my adult daughter next month, at her request and she could have chosen any place.

That said, the room chosen can certainly make a difference. And I believe the most important thing about Kiahuna is expectations. It's imperative to know what this resort is and what it's not. Don't come looking for a Four Seasons experience. It's low key, ocean front and very Hawaiian. My daughter says it feels like home.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

We used to many times before having our own place to stay. And still go to the beach there often. It's the Grand Dame of the south shore despite some newer and swankier places. The only condo in Poipu sitting right on a beach. Large lawns for kids to play on. Beach kiosk to get beach chairs and many other things. (Drinks and sandwiches too). Just a little bit further down the beach you can walk to Poipu Beach Park. Location is the key here for being central to walk to things.

Great place and the numbers attest to that!

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Also..... Yes, you can pick your unit from private owners. On the other hand there are benefits to renting from the main company too, Outrigger Resorts. They operate as a resort hotel. You rent by view category, rooms are assigned. Plus side is only 2nights deposit, no full pre-pay. Pay the balance there. No contracts to sign, no security deposits to wait to be returned to you. You get housekeeping and towel services. I don't think it's daily but you get it.

This works better for some but for those who insist on picking their unit it doesn't.

Oakland
Level Contributor
353 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Both Outrigger and Castle manage the majority of the units at Kiahuna.

There's also KIahuna Beachside, which has some of the very best units. With Beachside you can specify which unit you want and check availability on line.

http://kiahuna.com

California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort

Kiahuna Beachside's website says, "So, if you are looking for "cheap" rents, you are in the wrong place."

That's the truth! You can get an ocean view one bedroom for much less than offered on this site.