We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo op question

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Photo op question

I have checked into the TA highest ranked photo tour and am curious about a couple of questions- I am staying on north shore in Sept with a car and a couple of days to do my own thing while the hubby plays golf. I have a couple of guide books that seem pretty good about directions to places (UKG, KUG and Trailblazers) Does anyone know if they take you to places that are not to be missed for photo ops that I can't find myself? I am usually a good navigator with decent maps

and on that note- where would you go for your favorite photo shots? (we will be on north shore for 7 nights and south shore for 3 nights) I have followed the tips and wonderful photo journeys from a couple of the recent visitors, so I get the general idea that anywhere can make a beautiful shot if you know what you are doing- but I am very curious about the places the photo tour goes to and if they are so secret and special that it is worth the cost

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo op question

If I had 2 days with just me and my camera on Kauai, I would think I died and went to heaven! I definitely want to see what you capture.

I infer you are more an enthusiast than a beginner. The photo tour is a great idea for you. The tour leaders would be able to get you to the best places efficiently. Would hope the group is evenly matched in capability to get the most benefit. You could take the tour one day and still have one to yourself. I would do it. in a snap.

You will get a thousand recommendations of best places, all of them pretty solid. Look at an aerial tour (Wings Over Kauai or open door helicopter) for great pictures. On the sough side, Mahalepu Trail for the ocean and cliffs. I love North Shore sunrises, Larsens and Secret are my favorites. The trail to Hanakapiai Beach from Ke'e and Ke'e are fantastic. Don't overlook the free shows for dancers of all ages.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo op question

Agree with Rocky. Check out the guided photo tours. There's a couple of companies to choose from. They get great reviews. Small group driven in vans. They'll take you to places you might not feel comfortable going alone to.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo op question

My wife and I went on Tour 2 described here www.hawaiianphotos.net/kauai_tour_info.htm a couple years ago. The value to me was not that we were taken to places I didn't know about or couldn't have found on my own, though there were a couple of those. It was having the perspective on composition, not only from the guide, but others on the tour as well.

4. Re: Photo op question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 20, 2014