We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fresh fish to cook?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
fresh fish to cook?

We are coming in first week of Sept for 10 days- 7 in Princeville and 3 in Kalaheo. I love to cook and am interested in eating local fish as often as possible (we have full kitchens and grills in both places). I have reviewed all the farmer's market links/strands as I am looking for local "everything" as much as possible, but don't see fresh fish strands like this. Are there fishermen selling their daily catch anywhere? Is the fish in the local grocery markets "local?" is there a vendor the restaurants use that also sells to the public? On that note- anything I should look for assuming I can get it? Ono is on my list already, and high quality Ahi

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,121 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fresh fish to cook?

Great fresh fish is not hard to find on kauai. On the northshore, my favorite spot is the Hanalei Dolphin fish market, behind the restaurant in Hanalei. Further south, the Koloa Fish market in old Koloa town is not far from Kalaheo, but I have sometimes had mixed results there. The Fish Express in Lihue usually has good fish. Do try opah (moonfish) if it is available when you are there -- it is wonderful.

California
Level Contributor
9,705 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fresh fish to cook?

hanaleidolphin.com/hanalei-fish-market.htm

Yes, Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market is good. You might also try Kilauea Fish Market. I often see folks selling fish by the side of the road. Keep an eye out for them.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,832 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fresh fish to cook?

Hanalei Dolphin Fish market is our favorite place to pick up fresh fish on the north shore. We usually stay in Haena so we have not tried the Kilauea Fish Market yet but it does get great reviews on the TA forum.

Kennewick...
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fresh fish to cook?

We got some mahi mahi from the Kilauea fish market that was fantastic.

Reedsburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
265 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fresh fish to cook?

I got some fresh fish at the Safeway in Kapaa. They have some local fish that are brought in daily.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: fresh fish to cook?

My favorite on the north shore is also the Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market. I mentioned in passing that my late grandpa was a fisherman (west coast of Canada) and I was brought into the back to see all of the whole fresh fish. Wow, no wonder their fish tastes so fresh and yummy!

I get there as soon as they open and sometimes have to wait until their fresh sushi rolls to go are cut. I like the 'Dolphin Roll" the best. They have chopsticks, wasabi and soya sauce to go so you can enjoy while hanging out on Hanalei Bay.

Edited: 11:50 pm, April 21, 2013
Middletown...
Level Contributor
896 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: fresh fish to cook?

Kilauea Fish Market has great quality, just usually a small selection and supply. So depending on time of day, they might not have anything in the case for sale. Dolphin is more reliable, has a larger selection, and has other "items" for sale, such as poke or the rolls that were mentioned above. Personally, we end up eating poke almost more than cooked fish when we're on-island. Dolphin has good poke, but Pono Market in Kapa'a is da bes'

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fresh fish to cook?

great information- and exactly what I was looking for- thanks everyone!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fresh fish to cook?

We love Fish Express in Lihue across from Walmart. Super fresh options. I usually give them a call before I head out , if I'm looking for something in particular.

Here is a listing with Ph numbers.

www.trykauai.com/Kauai_Fish_Markets.html

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fresh fish to cook?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There are also many fishermen who sell directly from the back of their truck...doesn't get much fresher than that!

Just look for the signs on the side of the road, you'll generally see them in places like Hanama'ulu, around Puhi, and other locations scattered around the island.

Whatever they are catching is what is being sold (Ahi, Akule, etc.)....and it is perfectly safe to purchase from them...usually the same guys selling them have been around for years doing this.

Malama Pono,

Janet