We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back on Kauai, and Good News

denville, nj
Level Contributor
700 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Back on Kauai, and Good News

So as of today, I am officially "in escrow" for a unit at Islander On The Beach. All those good vibes from TA helped. Yahoo. Now. as Napa said, the hard part starts. But hopefully I won't look back.

Monday I had a leisurely day, went to Costco for mac nut souvenirs, then to the Humane Society to interact with the cats for about an hour. What a fun time. Sad to leave, wish I could take them all.(thanks for thr suggestion pzp) Since I was on the south shore I decided to drive to Koloa to the farmers market (got some guava) and lunch at Sueoka's. It was closed so I had a breakfast burrito at Kauai food truck. Very tasty. Took a walk along the East side path, had a shave ice at Ono restaurant , not impressed. Came back and relaxed. Got hit by jet lag big time and went to sleep at 8 and didn't wake up until 6 the next AM. Aaahh.

Tuesday I went back to Hanalei, spent a couple hours on the beach and then decided since I was up there to go to Mediterranean Gourmet for lunch Now I know why everyone raves about it, Had the ahi lettuce wraps and chocolate creme brulee. Very relaxed setting, super friendly waitress and awesome views. Could have stayed for hours. Wended my way back, stopping at the Waipa market and getting more Paradise pie from Right Slice, as well as a beautiful pillow cover for my sister, and stopped at Banana Joe's. After umpteen visits of not finishing a frosty, found out they have a keiki size which is just right. Dinner was salad and shrimp from Kilauea fish market.

Wednesday was South and West side. Got an early start and drove up to Waimea Canyon. Incredibly clear views from the last lookout and equally beautiful views with clouds from the Kalalau lookout. It's always so peaceful there in the early morning. Spent some time at the museum and then to Waimea for real shave ice at Jo Jo's Anueanue. Yummmm! Got a bento box from Ishihara's and took it to Salt Pond. Yup eat dessert first, life is short. Salt Pond is one of my favorite places, so relaxing and low key. As a bonus I got to talk with Uncle Louie. What a wonderful man.

After that I went to the market at Kukuiula and took home some pumpkin/pear bisque and haiupia sweet potato pie for dinner.

Today after dropping off a deposit check at the title company , buying some baked goods at Passion Bakery ( the passion fruit coffee cake is to die for)and talking to family for a while I went to Anini beach. Had an unexpectedly tasty burger and fries at the food truck there, and then sat and read at the beach beyond the park, by the houses. Another of my favorite places. It was a little chilly so I came back and sat around the pool for a while. Tonight I had the tasting menu at the Hukilau Lanai. Table just at the edge of the gardens and wonderful food. I wish I had the vocabulary to describe the tastes other than to say scrumptious. Went to the bar after dinner to listen to an Hawaiian group and spent some time talking with a musician and a naturopathic physician. Very interesting. The coffee with mac nut and kona liqueur was good too

Tomorrow is another go with the flow day, only two items on the agenda, mail stuff back home, and go to Anahola to get the pineapple bread. The chocolate Kaluha won out last weekend, Jebett. Tomorrow night there's a benefit at the Hukilau Lanai "Kauai sings Rodgers and Hammerstein" I love their music , sounds like fun.

Saturday I have to return the car by 2 , so probably won't make it to the music festival in Waipa, unfortunately. Looks like it will be great.

I'll be back sooner rather than later now that I'm (almost) a property owner. Excited and nervous at the same time.

Love sitting here on the lanai listening to the waves......

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,350 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

Ho`omaika`i! Congrats!

denville, nj
Level Contributor
700 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

Mahalo !

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

Wecome

California
Level Contributor
9,378 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

How great!! I'm so jealous!!!

Morgan Hill...
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

So happy for you & once again enjoyed reading of your journeys!

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

Congrats! I am green with envy!

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

Wonderful news we really liked the islanders for the location (midpoint) and great value. My parents are staying there now. They are loving Kauai.

California
Level Contributor
35,781 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

I am so happy for you, kauai48. I think I know which one you purchased. I told our "friend" we will celebrate your good fortune with a cocktail overlooking Bali Hai in a month!!!! Cheers!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

Just thinking of your very own piece of paradise should gladden your spirit until the next time you visit in person. Congratulations!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Back on Kauai, and Good News

Congratulations, 48. The work is all worth it when you consider that someday you could retire there or stay for a few months each year, as I do.

If you're going to rent it out and use a rental agency my biggest advice is to interview at least 3 agents. And there are so many questions you need to ask. I learned the hard way. On the other hand maybe Islander has it's own in-house rental arm? If so, you're probably in good hands then.

P.M. me if you'd like my list of questions I compiled over the years.