We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer to Kauai in Early August

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
First Timer to Kauai in Early August

My family of four (two teen boys) are headed to Hawaii for 10 nights. We plan on Kauai for 7 and Oahu for 3 nights.

I have read up on the various communities. We intend to do the following, in no particular order:

1. Snorkelling/beaches

2. Hiking (definitely the Waimea Canyon and also other preferably less crowded trails)

3. Catamaran Na Pali (Cap'n Andy - Southern Star)

Maybe throw in Kayaking or helicopter ride (if budget allows)

We are interested in getting a cottage near the water (or maybe a condo), as opposed to staying at a resort. I like the idea of a cottage, as I feel like we will get a better feel for the Island life.

Does Hanalei Bay make sense with our goals in mind if we can find a cottage/house?

How hard is it to get from the north Shore to Waimea Canyon?

If we want to do the Catamaran out of Port Allen is it a problem to get from North shore to Port Allen?

With cleaning fees, I presume it makes little sense to split our time in two places and pay the fee twice.. correct?

Thanks in advance

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,723 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

Hanalei Bay works, as would Anini and Po`ipu, although the last is more built up.

No problem getting anywhere on the island. Why would you not want to do a Na Pali tour from the north shore?

I wouldn't split for just 7 days.

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

I thought that Captain Andy Southern Star left from Port Allen. Am I mistaken? If I stay north, should I consider another charter instead?

What is Anini like?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

I would stay north and also do my boat trip from Hanalei. I used HoloHolo charters last summer. Anini is quiet & peaceful - not too far from Hanalei. :)

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,788 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

flyingpig, Captain Andy's Southern Star DOES leave from Port Allen but they're not the only game in town. There are a number of others who leave from the north shore.

However, the Southern Star is one magnificent vessel and a cut above all the others on Kauai. If you're serious about the Southern Star my opinion is that it's worth the drive from the north shore to get to it. Figure 1.5 hours total for the drive, maybe less early in the morning.

Edited: 4:26 pm, March 01, 2013
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,838 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

The Southern Star does leave from Port Allen. There are several boat tours that leave from the North, however I don't think any are quiet like the Southern Star (the boat itself). I've never heard anything bad about any of the tours...so go with whatever you want.

Hanalei is a small beach town with restaurants & shops. Most of the vacation rentals will be within walking distance to town and beach. No condos. Hanalei Bay is two miles with 4 different beach areas - two of which are lifeguarded.

Anini is an area of about 1/1/2 miles of outer reef with a protected inner reef area. There are vacation rentals along the road. No condos. Residential area only and a beach park. No lifeguards.

I would not split a 7 night stay. Start checking vrbo, when you find some places you like, post back with the listing #. Someone may have firsthand knowledge of the rental(s).

3Chihuahuas

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,723 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

Anini is one of my favorite beaches. It never seems crowded, even on weekends. Parking and access are very easy. It has shade, picnic tables. rinse-off shower and bathroom facilities. The water is very shallow until you're out fairly far. Snorkeling is hit or miss, but I have seen some interesting things there - Spotted Eagle Ray, turtles. It's just a few minutes to Princeville Center, and a few more to Hanalei.

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

Thanks all!!!

Checked out VRBO for Anini Beach. The below are the top possibilities...

http://www.vrbo.com/358629

http://www.vrbo.com/117313

http://www.vrbo.com/325622 (inquiring with owner as to availability)

http://www.vrbo.com/245381 (inquiring with owner as to availability)

Any input would be most appreciated.....

can anyone advise if any of these are in the "noisy" camping part of Anini?

Moving on to evaluate Hanalei Bay as alternative....

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

I can't give advice on the rentals...but with 2 teen boys, I would pick Hanalei over Anini. Anini is nice and quiet...but it is residential and no shops or restaurants near by...would have to drive to Princeville or past to Hanalei. If you stay in Hanalei there is more going on and things happening, yet still relatively quiet. I just think they would enjoy being closer to Hanalei.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,788 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

Agree w/travelbugged, with teenage boys I'd pick Hanalei hands down.Not only will there be some diversions for them there but I believe they'd enjoy the beaches on Hanalei Bay better also. Must just be me but I find the conditions at Anini boring. Now it's a great spot if you want a quiet seclusion but for fun in the water Hanalei is much better. They could try their hand at surfing or SUP lessons, boogie boarding, checking out the pier. I just remember when my boys were teens and my wife wanted to stop at Anini they'd complain.

bflo
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Timer to Kauai in Early August

Thanks for the feedback.

I would prefer Hanalei Bay. Not finding too much available.

If we cannot do Hanalei Bay, would Princeville be good for the two teens? Finding lots of condos there....

We aren't afraid to drive to dinner an shopping one way or another, although it would be fun to walk to some of that stuff.