We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
295 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
help please

Two of my friends and I are wanting to visit Kauai, we have a friend that lives there and can stay for free. However, we live in Kansas and need to know the best and most reasonable way to get to Kauai. Does anyone have any idea of which airlines to use. We don't mind switching planes, so if it is cheaper to get a flight from KC to LA then another plane from LA to Kauai, that's fine with us. Also we'll need a rental car too. We are looking at doing this next February.

thanks for the help!

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help please

You'll find some of the lowest fares in February on Hawaiian Airlines out of LAX, sometimes other west coast cities. It's not uncommon to get a fare in the high $300's to low $400's round-trip, but who knows what's going to happen with fuel costs. The lowest I've paid LAX-LIH recently is $387 I believe. Hawaiian goes through HNL, but the layover shouldn't be too long. United, American, and ATA have direct flights to Lihue. Watch those for specials.

Winter fares generally aren't posted until sometime in November, so sit tight. Sign up for frequent flyer memberships and have specials e-mailed to you. Watch as many web sites as you can to get an idea of what a good fare really is. Also, try different city combo's. You might find a good fare from KS using one airline and code-share partners.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please

I noticed before we left that America West and Northwest were the lowest out of Omaha which is about the same price as KC. Delta was close but the return flight had us going to Atlanta than to Omaha. The flights on AW and NWA were to Hnl although they were also the lowest to Phoenix and San Diego where you can also catch Hawaiian.

3. Re: help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 12, 2009