We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

New Jersey
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

We want to do the Na Pali boat tour (starting from the north side). Which type of boat/whose tours would we have a lesser chance in getting seasick on? I don't think we want to take drama-mean (spelling?) because I heard it will make you cuckoo all day. I have been reading up on the 34 ft catamaran tour offered by Na Pali Catamaran. It seems like it may be best for us because the boat is fast and their won't be as much rocking. Also, it's small enough to go into the beach caves, which looks like a lot of fun.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

Dramamine. :-)

I did the tour you refer to last week. To begin, and as an fyi, there is no guarantee that you go in the caves. You can only go in caves provided the wind and tides and general weather conditions are in your favour. In our case, we did NOT go in the caves on our morning cruise.

Secondly, not to put you off, but we did have somebody get sea sick on our boat. The ride out down the coast is fairly slow and scenic with lots of stops for photo taking and narration. The ride back however is like a bat out of h3ll and is VERY speedy, choppy, and some what of a thrill ride. I have a stomach of steel but there were bits when we went flying in the air and my tummy definitely did cartwheels.

Because the boat is so small as well, there is no place to hide. If you were to get sick you would simply have to clutch on and hang off the side of the boat. :(

Regardless, be prepared that on the ride back you will get really wet too as the waves are washing over the sides of the boats. Rain jackets were provided but offered little protection against the monster splashing!

Just thought I would share my experience. Whilst I do not suffer from it, I have heard that sea sickness is a horrible feeling. An alternative could be that you could hike along the coast instead of doing the boat. (Or you may opt for a helicopter)

-zen

ps. GINGER is a natural alternative for combatting sea sickness. it really works, too!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

2nd the comment on Ginger. Saw it on Myth Busters and it actually worked lots better than prescription meds. I haven't tried it, though, since I, too, have a stomach of steel and the cruises haven't bothered me. Having said that, there were lots of sick people on all 3 trips I went on.

Best boat for not getting sick on is the biggest catamaran you can find. The dual hulls (?) in the water make it a smoother ride. Also, as mentioned before, they won't go near the shore or caves if the waves are too high. Of the 3 times we went, only once did we get close to shore---but we went in the middle of winter.

Arizona
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

zenful- What was served for lunch on the Na Pali Catamaran and how was the snorkeling?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

I'm rather curious about this too. I've never been on a cruise before, and I have no idea if I get seasick or not. I do know that I get carsick if I try to read in the car while driving around the city where there's lots of turning, stopping, slowing, accelerating, etc. I'm fine if it's on a road trip, on the interstate.

My grandparents, aunt and I are going to do Captain Andy's Na Pali Sunset Dinner Cruise. Does anyone know how likely that one is to make me seasick, if I am prone to it? And, since I don't know how I'll handle it, should I just take dramamine (or ginger) before we go, just as a precaution?

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
293 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

I get car/boat sick and find that Dramamine does make me a little "cuckoo" as you say but Bonine has no side effects for me at all.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

zenful- What was served for lunch on the Na Pali Catamaran and how was the snorkeling? "

mrfootball....

another subtle reminder that i owe a trip report! LOL <blush>

to answer your ?s

LUNCH:

i was very surprised and impressed and pleased. other trips on the island offer "fix it yourself" cold cut lunches that tbh are pretty pathetic and never satisfying. i was delighted at the lunch on the boat. HUGE deli sandwiches (i believe it was turkey with cheese, L&T and all the fixins) as well as they provide a load of chips (individual serving bags), condiments, pickles and even JALAPENOS!! and famous amos choco chip cookies for desert. for bevvies you have a choice of water or sodapop. it was VERY IMPRESSIVE. not your average rinky-dink but a hearty picnic lunch on the boat!

SNORKELING :

i believe the boat goes about 60 miles down coast. where we moored there were no other boats as far as the eye could see! as soon as you pull into the cove sea turtles start popping their pretty heads above water. under water visibility was not grand- bear in mind that the unique weather patterns off the NaPali coast mean it will always be fairly rainy, windy and choppy. that said, since the point of the snorkeling is primarily to see the turtles, we were not disappointed! the water was a bit dark-ish and cloudy. vis was probably 15-20 feet. and fyi- it is CHILLY!! wear a rashguard for extra warmth.

there are only about 16 people on the boat to begin. allowing for the fact that a few people did not snorkel (our poor seasick friends mentioned above), there were probably only 12 of us in the water. it was entirely possible to go off to your own area and be no where near the other people which is exactly what my BF and i did and were rewarded with a private visit by the most amazing graceful majestic turtle i have ever met! (not that i have met many mind you!) she surfaced up to us and i was able to swim with her while my BF took some amazing photos. it was actually like she came to pose with us. cheeky turtle!! it was absolutely breathtaking and made the trip 100% worth every cent! (be careful of having your breath taken away while under water! haha)

apart from the turtles there are some jumbo fishies that seem to congregate around the boat as they know they will be fed. so you can just stay and snorkel around the boat to see some of the best fish. we did swim more towards shore but the turtles stay out a ways then surface a little bit to the "cleaning stations" where the fish will eat the plankton and algae off them. BF also got a photo of a turtle having a "bath" and it was very very cool. :-)

on the ride back , our catamaran was accompanied by a school of what could only have been 100 spinner dolphins. they swam along side us, under and around us, demonstrating their acrobatics and essentially "flirting" with our boat. quite the show-offs they are! also, this was amazing to see and personally i thought it was spectacular!

i can try to post a link to some photos this weekend when i write my full report.

7. Re: Napali Boat tours with the least chance of getting seasick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 12, 2009