We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
178 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

I'm considering visiting Kuai and am wondering how it compares to the other islands. Is it more like Maui (which I didn't care for --tourist trap, like Orange County with better beaches) or the Big Island (dramatic and beautiful with real Hawaiins!)?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,983 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

All the fake Hawaiian's are on Maui and Oahu.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

Each island is unique. But I would say that Kauai is more similar to the Big Island, but much smaller, more compact.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,609 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

More similar to the Big Island. Very rural and laid back. You can find a good description of all the islands on the main Hawai`i forum. Go to the Top Questions (upper right of page) and read the Summary of Each Island.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Kaua'i has more kanaka maoli (native Hawaiians) - than anywhere in the State of Hawai'i (except for Niʻihau)....also more people speaking ʻOlelo Hawaiʻi (Hawaiian language) as a first language than any other place in the state (except Ni'ihau) ---- is this what you mean by "real Hawaiians"??

If that is what you mean by "real Hawaiians" - Kaua'i is at the top of the list!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,269 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

Peaceful paradise, stunning natural beauty and not a single highrise to be seen! I think you might fall in love with Kauai. :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

Ms. Fuzz, I can't stop laughing. I'm thinking the real Hawaiians I've met on Maui are living in the wrong place :)

I personally love Maui, but I don't go where it's crowded all the time...many places to go that aren't, but I respect you don't like it...we all have our personal tastes. Kauai is dramatic and beautiful but you may run into a few areas you don't like there either.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

Oh YOU, Ms. Fuzz!

If you ask Trey Parker, there are lots of fake Hawaiians on Kauai, too... LOL

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k58413…

Kauai has the opposite natural beauty than the BI - you're comparing the oldest and youngest Hawaiian islands, so where BI has stark lava moonscape abutting tropical greenery, Kauai is all tropical all the time (except for the far west, which is drier).

Go to Hanalei after a big rainstorm and you'll wonder how it's possible for so many waterfalls to exist on just one small patch of Earth...

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

The fact is that all of the islands are different from each other.

Plain language, kauai has no freeways, just a two lane coastal road.

Kauai has a building code of no buildings taller that a coconut tree.

Kauai's north shore is tahiti beautiful

There are not rows of monoliths along the beaches, in fact kauai has done a pretty good job of protecting most of its beaches, not all, but most.

There is plenty to do on Kauai, for those who wish to be out exploring and having a great time. Or a person can totally relax and do zip.

We visited for 12 years, and now have been living here coming on 7 years, and are super active, have met and made many new friends, and enjoy and appreciate each day. All we have to do is say hello, and new frieinds or acquaitenances are made, and we have not had a second of so called island fevor.

If you bring your own smiles and aloha with you, you will recieve loads of aloha from most everyone.

No one cares about porches, or BMW's, or Rolex watches or guchi fashions.

They do care about aloha and respect.

You might order the UKG...Ultimate Kauai Guide Book and read up on what there is to do and see and experience on kauai. You will be able to tailor your visit to your own special style, and pre planning makes for a grand Kauai experience.

Or you may find that kauai is not what you thought it would be, but taking some time to learn about the Garden Island might be very helpful to a fullfilling vacation. I have an idea that Kauai could be perfect for you.

We do not have any cities. We have what might be two small towns, Lihue and Kapa'a.

Otherwise, it is small villages that are quaint, friendly, fun, and interesting.. Hanelei, Poipu, Hanepepe, Waimea, Wailua, Kiluea, etc.

I am from Huntington Beach, and Erica is from Seal Beach in Orange

County. Kauai is not like orange county, nor remotely like San Francisco.

However, I was raised with miles of beaches, and small beach towns, surfing, sailing , biking, kayaking, and hiking.......which we also have and do here on kauai. Actually, our transitition and melding in with the island was instantaneous. Beach life to beach life.

Trying to compare islands is pretty difficult, and comparing little rural kauai, with the huge big island of hawaii, or Maui really does not really work.

And , yes we have been to all of them several times, and have had great stay cations in maui and the big island. We have had super fun times on our neighbor islands enjoying their individual treasures. Good stuff.

Denny

Edited: 11:29 pm, February 22, 2013
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

Kauai...The Garden Isle!

10. Re: Kuai vs. Maui vs. the Big Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 25, 2014