We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,191 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

This is the 5th drowning of 2013 in Kaua‘i waters. All visitors. Please heed the warnings, check with lifeguards before going out, stay safe. Online, Kaua‘i Explorer has the current conditions.

www.kauaiexplorer.com/ocean_report/index.php

From the Garden Island:

thegardenisland.com/news/local/ocean-claims-…

3Chihuahuas

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

Due to surfer drowning in Hanalei today (Feb. 9th), for 2013 there have been 5 ocean victims and 1 river victim. Today's victim was a local while the previous 2013 victims were visitors.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/surfer-drowns…

Edited: 2:13 am, February 10, 2013
California
Level Contributor
9,210 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

How sad!!

California
Level Contributor
35,222 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

He was a local surfer.

Here is the forecast for the ocean today, Sunday Feb 10th. Please don't go to place like Queens Bath, Hideaways etc while this kind of warning is out. Stay off the lava shelves and don't get too close to the waves.

Kauai's north and west facing shores are in a high surf warning until 6:00 p.m. Sunday. The National Weather Service (NWS) advises that, in a high surf warning, there is large, breaking surf, significant shore breaks and dangerous currents. NWS further advises that anyone entering the water could face significant injury or death. Please heed these warnings and always be aware of ocean conditions before going out!

NE PA
Level Contributor
948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

So sad to hear this happened. We were out at sunset watching whales and a helicopter started circling low over the bay. We knew it wasn't a good sign and hoped we wouldn't wake up to bad news. There were really big rollers coming in that were getting progressively bigger. We saw a few completely cover the sand at Hideaways and clear to the treeline at Queens Bath. There were no surfers way out past the reef and the weren't towing surfers into the big waves. Must have happened in closer to the beach.

Edited: 12:36 pm, February 10, 2013
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,843 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Between drowning deaths here and traffic accidents, thus far we appear to be in a record year - NOT the kind of statistics we want - that is for sure!

Please respect the power of the ocean and listen to ocean warnings when you visit - both residents and visitors.

The death of a local surfer here up North just shows you that not even someone who is skilled and can read the ocean is safe when the ocean turns against you. Never go in the water just because you saw a local do it.

Very sad indeed.

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,191 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

This is heartbreaking. All I can think of is the families. I checked the webcam, the surf is HUGE.

NE PA
Level Contributor
948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

We just walked over to the St Regis and they are towing surfers into the waves but not way out like we've seen before. Lots of surfers in the water this morning waiting to be towed. Big surf again today but not quite as big as last evening. Another beautiful day on the north shore! Hopefully everyone will stay safe out there today.

California
Level Contributor
35,222 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

According to an email I just got, this guy was a big wave surfer. That means experienced but dangerous. May peace and strength come to his family.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,843 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The surfer who drowned was a very well known long time surfer here - 60 years young and beloved by much of the surfing community here - Ke Akua Pū - prayers to his ohana.

Malama Pono,

Janet

20. Re: Ocean claims fifth victim in 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 12, 2014