We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

Kalispell
Level Contributor
408 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

I keep thinking I found the perfect spot, then I find something that looks better...and it is always apples and oranges. Does anyone have any experience with any of these locations? They all look pretty awesome, but each has issues as well. Thanks

California
Level Contributor
37,621 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

I know HBR (I own here) and know 3305-6 the best. Friends actually rented it a few years ago. Its okay. Its getting a bit dated and the rental company isn't my favorite. 3201-2 is nicer if you want a studio. You can also rent a one bedroom for the same price and have more options and more room. It seems to me you are seeking a view unit. That one has a lovely view. The biggest difference between these properties is the grounds, ammenties etc. HBR has a MUCH nicer pool and tennis facility plus a paved path to the beach below, Puu Poa. I like PKK complex if you select the right unit for the views. I do not like their pool in the middle of a parking lot and lack of bbq's. Alii Kai has some good units and the views are nice of open water.

You seem to be stuck on OF's website but there are other rental agencies.

Parrish, Kauai Pacific or just go on VRBO or Summit Pacific for private rentals.

www.summitpacificinc.com/pali-ke-kua.html

Kalispell
Level Contributor
408 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

Thanks jebett! My problem is that I don't quite understand the system yet. I pull up a web site, then have to open each to find out many it sleeps and price? Then sometimes everything is out of our $125 or so price range or only sleeps two. I'm sure there must be filters on some of them, but I'm not finding them. I'll keep working on this!

I do think that most important is a good pool for the kids and walking distance to a beach...they are water rats and will stay wet 24/7 given the chance.

Some sort of nice view would make me happy, but my #1 interest would be a location with a walking distance snorkel beach.

The most important of all, however, would be cleanliness since my youngest grandaughter has asthma and mold would be an issue for her. I will definitely check out some of these other listings. Any other suggestions?

California
Level Contributor
37,621 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

$125 for 4 means you will give something up. HBR is out of your price range unless you rent a hotel room with 2 queen beds and no kitchen and even the nice view ones that I would even recommend are closer to $150-200/nt. The $125 ones I can't recommend.

If mold is an issue you need to be careful of ground floor units. Stay away from them. Some rentals have more mold than others because they aren't rented very much and stay closed up for weeks at a time. Beware of them. I was just talking to our grounds keeper and he was telling me a story of a rental that had an ant colony living in a closet. The condo hadn't been occupied for over 8 weeks and the management company isn't known for its cleaning. They never spot checked the condo before renters came in. Rent a condo that has a good rental history. Some rental agencies are not as meticulous as others.

I think in your price point you should also consider Emmalani Court. This unit is so cheap I don't know how they how they do it. Its a nice complex with large units. I believe it has no view (maybe golf course view) but its walking distance to St Regis etc. like PKK is.

summitpacificinc.com/emmalani-court-413.html

I am sure you could find similar on VRBO. Though not a favorite, but you can find some good deals for a newer complex, check out Nihilani or Princeville Plantation. They are a bit apartmenty looking for my taste but might be perfect for you and the family. No views! Both have nice but small pools.

Your criteria for walking to a snorkeling beach is what you will need to give up by staying in Princeville. I don't know when you are going but the walk to Hideaways is not kid friendly and rough many months of the year. Puu Poa Beach below HBR is only ok for snorkeling. The better snorkeling spots are a 15-25 drive. You would have to put down some pretty big bucks to rent a house in Haena.

Another idea is The Cliffs. Nice pool but small, good kiddy playground and some units have good views. I don't have any specific recommendations on units but for a family these are ok. The outside is a bit strange looking, but the staff is pretty nice and the prices can be a bargain.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,833 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

Parrish also has some nice units in Princeville in your price range. www.ParrishKauai.com.

Edited: 12:39 pm, November 08, 2012
Kalispell
Level Contributor
408 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

This unit in the post above at Emmalana sounded wonderful until I got to the "sleeps two" part. The kids and I will be totally happy together in a king bed, but I still need a spot for the hubby. Do they always tell you if there is a futon or sofa pull out or something to add an additional person, or perhaps I should call if I find somethig that sounds good but only sleeps two?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

I stayed in the 400 building at Alii Kai and liked it very much!

The complex might not be as new as some of the others, but having 2 bedrooms and 2 baths would outweigh that for me.

The views are magnificent. I liked it every bit as much as other places I have stayed in Princeville for lots more money.

7. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, November 11, 2012
California
Level Contributor
37,621 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

Mountainkid:

Didn't you settle on Sealodge? Is the unit you are renting a 2 bedroom because those one bedrooms are tight for a family of 4. Sealodge has great views but they are small units. Tiny lanai (balcony) that fit two max. Sealodge's pool is nothing to write home about either.

Kalispell
Level Contributor
408 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

Thanks Jebett...we booked Sealodge this morning. The unit is a two bedroom, so we should be in great shape.

California
Level Contributor
37,621 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pali Ke Kua E232 vs Alii Kai 4103 vs HBR 3305-6 thoughts?

Yes that is perfect. Enjoy.