We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Child Backpack - check in for plane

Dubbo, Australia
Level Contributor
365 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Child Backpack - check in for plane

Hey there, a question for those of you who have travelled with a backpack for kids....

How did you check in your backpack? Did you plastic wrap it, use a carry bag or just check it in on its own? If you did the latter did it cope ok with the rough treatment of the airline?

Thanks

M

adelaide
Level Contributor
276 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

If it's a child's back pack ,why would you check it in? Most kids seem to have a backpack as hand luggage

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

Anything child related such as car seats, stolers, Rollerboard and I guess a backpack, we would put in a garbage bag to keep it clean.

Some companies make bags for children items that you want to check, but we found backpacks work great!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,286 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

You probably mean a backpack to carry a baby in? If it's too big for carry-on, maybe a duffle bag with other items packed in it would work best to protect it and also to make it a little more cost effective with the baggage fee.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

Good catch, Susan! I was thinking little pink 5-year-old-sized "Hello Kitty" packpack. Ah, the English language...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

I haven't toted a kid for a while, but I had a Kelty child carrier and I used as I boarded the plane and then put it in the overhead - it compacted pretty well - or you could have them put it with the strollers and other things. Happy travels! :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

Marita - we checked our Kelty kid carrier backpack (the big honkin' Pathfinder which will NOT fit in the overhead) at the curb with our stroller. As it is kid-related (like strollers and carseats) it was free on United. United also provides large clear trash bags to wrap everything in.

The new version of the Kelty is the TC, which straps down to regulation carry-on size (without the child in it): amazon.com/gp/…

Just make sure you put a tag on everything with your DESTINATION address (your Kauai resort) and not your home address - if it gets delayed they can still find you on Kauai.

We haven't had any damage to any of our checked baby gear on United; Frontier ripped a handle off the stroller when friends borrowed it to go to Disney (and Frontier paid to have it replaced, which it certainly didn't have to do!). Our Kelty now sports two Kauai Ag Inspection stickers on the back "kickstand" legs... good thing we like the souvenir since those things are darn sticky.

The other thing to remember with checking the backpack is that if you were doing carry-on only with the rest of your luggage you could put liquids in the "little" backpack that zips onto the Kelty (if that's what kind you have). DH thought of that only after we arrived in Kauai - I had stuffed extra diapers in the little backpack.

You could also carry it to the gate and then have them gate check it with the strollers, etc. - but still grab a plastic bag to stow in it so the straps don't get hung up on anything else and to keep it clean (and include your destination and contact info).

Edited: 3:30 pm, October 05, 2012
Wilmette, Illinois
Level Contributor
513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

Why not wear it on the plane and stuff it in the overhead?

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

Jammer, if it's a Kelty Pathfinder, Deuter, Osprey or similar, it WON'T fit in the overhead. The Kelty Transit I linked to above doesn't have a "kickstand" and will fit in the overhead once the child carrier seat is strapped down. http://www.rei.com/category/4500629

On United (the airline I'm most familiar with), carry-ons are limited to 22" x 14" x 9". The Pathfinder is 30 x 19 x 15 - it would take up a good portion of the overhead bin (turned sideways: it's too big to go in straight) and the kickstand doesn't compress down.

The OP didn't indicate which carrier she has; I'm just assuming based on the sheer popularity of the Kelty (9 out of 10 Colorado families I know have it!) that that's what she's using.

On our last airport/plane trip I wore my almost-2 yo on my back in our Ergo carrier, which folds ups and shoves into another bag once on the plane. We weren't doing any hiking at our destination then, but it will probably be the only carrier we bring on our 2013 Kauai trip (my older one has already declared that when he turns four, he will hike ALL BY HIMSELF - a mercy, since he's a solid chunk of preschooler, that one.)

Edited: 10:40 am, October 07, 2012
Rodeo, ca
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

Its free to check at the gate on Alaska Air along with strollers they stow them in the cabin up front then ready for you as you step off plane.

10. Re: Child Backpack - check in for plane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, December 14, 2013