We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to visit and what to do then.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to visit and what to do then.

We put in a request for a week in Kauai and we got confirmed in through Interval on September 20 through 27th. Is this a good time to visit? If so what can we expect weather wise? What to do in this Season? We visited March of 2006 and it was so wet we could not do much as hiking was too dangerous with mud slides, the mosquitoes were in full force.. and we got sea sick trying to whale watch. So hoping this will be a better time to visit although we did find Sept. is is peak hurricane season. The first time we visited Kauai was the best as it was our Honeymoon July 1995 and we took some major hikes and took a zodiac raft off the Napali coast..We are older and a bit creaky now but we do have an 16 year old with us who will want to have some adventures I am sure...any advice as what to do where to eat etc...We are staying in the Princeville Weston..a far cry from our musty old hotel in 1995.

Holo Holo Charters
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Other Outdoor Activities, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Na Pali Catamaran
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Napali Coast Hanalei Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Fishing Charters & Tours
Napali Raft Adventure by Holo Holo Charters
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
California
Level Contributor
38,376 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

September is warm. A far cry from that lovely March you and I experienced in 06. I just returned from Kauai and the weather on the North Shore was good 80% of the time. I personally like a bit of rain to cool things off. It was mostly at night or early morning and cleard by 9am.

The Westin is a nice property. You will avoid the kid factor by coming in Sept.

How about visiting some gardens? Stand up paddle boarding lessons? Kayaking to Hideaways? Golfing the beautiful Prince Course? Because you are staying at The Westin, you can take the shuttle over to the St Regis and rent snorkel gear and enjoy the loungers and $25 hamburgers. Sorchestra just returned from a stay at The Westin with her teen. I bet she can fill you in on things to do with a 16 year old.

Buy a guidebook and let your 16 year decide things he'd/she like to do. I bet it involves hanging out at Hanalei Bay watching the other teens?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,518 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

I really didn't think this September was all that bad except for a few days. The weather was generally nice. I wouldn't worry overmuch about hurricanes.

You could check out the Princeville Zipline. Have you done Waimea Canyon? Horseback riding? Helicopter tour? Surfing or Stand-Up lessons?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

You are definitely smart in asking about Hurricanes in SEPTEMBER.....that is the high incident month. But, our meteorligical conditions have not favored any hurricanes this whole season....SO FAR...

And pzp is correct in not being over stressed or worried.

Since we are in the northern hemisphere, and do annual sailing vacations, we absolutely pay attention to hurricane season, especially in the caribbean and florida. Hurricane seaons is oposite south of the equator so we take that into consideration also.

But again, doubt you will have any problems what so ever. Currently, I am looking out the window at some scattered white clouds, light trade winds, and a calm ocean.....and high of 84 degrees...( setp 3rd @ 9am)

We will be going out in a few minutes for our three mile daily walk past Kalapaki Beach, and up to kauai lagoons and back home.

Absolutely 100% agree with getting the ULTIMATE KAUAI GUIDE BOOK long before you come over and read it. Learn what things are available that you and your family will enjoy together.

Denny

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

Thank you all so much it really helps to plan and I will get the book recommended for sure!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

also check out the FAQ threads (Top Questions). Lots of info in there as well as in older threads you can find with the search function.

Sept can indeed be humid at times like it has been the last few days ()*^%(& VOG as well. But usually it's pretty nice. Much safer than March.

As for Hurricanes. Meh, It's been 20 years now.-- 2 in 30 years that actually made land fall. We'll get another someday, but it's not something you can plan around given that we've roughly 6 months of hurricane "season" and it's likely that will broaden as the oceans warn up.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

I will do that..thank you for allaying my fears. My Aunt was a resident there and moved to Arizona..go figure...but was afraid of surviving another hurricane in Princeville. We seem to visit after the bad weather attacks the island and have seen the aftermath of mudslides. One impressed me as a whole family was wiped out. There was nothing but a big track of land where homes once were. We had to pass that way often and was a bit creepy. So I was a bit concerned.

California
Level Contributor
38,376 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

You will also need to avoid Jamaica, Florida, New Orleans, Cuba, St Martin and Cancun. Also avoid any place in Southern California that time of the year because of wild fires and Santa Ana winds. Just kidding, but if you are truly afraid of hurricanes come in May or June.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

Actually being as SoCal native I am used the like of earthquakes the fires of Fall and the like but just like to be forewarned and prepared ...thanks I actually like to escape the heat in Aug Sept here.

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

Has anyone had good experience with the plantation train ride I happened to see in one of the guide books?

Any good suggestions for Kayaking the Nepali Coast? I have taken the Zodiac raft rides a few times and loved it but now my old bones cant handle it anymore :-( Any suggestions to keep my 16 year old happy yet I need lots of down time just reading resting and soaking up beauty.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to visit and what to do then.

September is an excellent time (October too) because the weather is usually good and the worst of the hot humidity is over. Yes, it is still hurricane season, but i think hurricanes are much more unlikely than the fires or mudslides in California.

In March 2006, you got the worst weather of the decade, if not since the hurricane in 1992. The incident you are referring to is the tragedy of the Kaloko dam breaching. It was an entirely man-made disaster, with bad dam maintenance and possible illegal modification leading to its failure. Also, some of the people who were killed were staying in unpermitted structures--so lots of blame to go all around, but not so much an act of nature. I think it may finally go to court this year after tons of delays and stalling.

On a happier note, I highly recommend the Na Pali kayaking, IF and only IF you are fit and have some experience with kayaks on the ocean. It's not rocket science, and its not hard if the ocean cooperates as it usually does in that season, and you have a guide for safety, but it is a long, long, hot day of paddling and bobbing in the big ocean in a little boat. However, the scenery is some of the best and most spectacular in Hawaii, it is truly grandiose.

The Kilohana train ride is a nice little excursion, not too expensive ($18-25, I think), with some history of Kauai and lots of plants to see and learn about. Personally, I think kids appreciate it the most, but my Mom enjoyed it just fine.

Edited: 5:41 pm, June 18, 2013